Older releases playback on PS3/XBox 360

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
ynn3k
7X

Re: Older releases playback on PS3/XBox 360

Post by ynn3k »

Well I really don;t mind reencoding. problem with that is I don;t know how to convert them without hindering the video and making it more pixelated. can you guys here at tvn reccomend a program I can use?

Den-O works but theres no sound... and I think Kiva has the same issues.
HyperRangerFinish

Post by HyperRangerFinish »

http://tvnihon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100

Well I tried the method here to correct the aspect ratio (Faiz) and while that worked, it unfortunately didn't correct playback on the PS3, so they must have been encoded differently... Shame really, but I've got through the series and it was a good watch regardless of how I watched it. If you ever figure out a way to convert them, let me know as I'd potentially be interested in doing it to others. Hindering video quality isn't so bad, I think the worst problem would be audio sync.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

with 555 we are slowly updating them with DVD encodes, so those will be fixed in time
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Cyberleader2000
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Mobile Suit Gundam
2nd Favorite Series: Precure
Favorite Band: TWO-MIX
My boom: Evangelion
Quote: "This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's bruning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! MY LOVE! MY ANGER! AND ALL OF MY SORROW! SHINING FINGER SWORD!!!"

"This hand of mine is BURNING RED! It's loud Roar tells me to grasp victory! ERUPTING BURNING FINGER!!! AND NOW! HEAT END!!!"

Post by Cyberleader2000 »

well episodes 1 to 12 Kamen Rider Decade wouint play but episodes in the second batch seam to work
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

I Suggest you guys use Format Factory (its free). Just set all the settings bitrate etc. from the file info you get from the original file. There's a option when you got to settings to see the files info. Then output it to mp4. FF even removes the old tv nihon intros that had no audio. Which was causing the desyncing issue. Make sure you manually set the res. The program doesn't have presets for widescreen. For non common resolutions. And double check the framerate first. Don't encode a show that was 24 fps to 29. Or you'll get audio desyncing issues. Sometimes even the encodes will still won't work. I've actually had to encode encodes 2 or even 3 times till the ps3 ran the files.
gokaigers6661
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Quote: "Destroy Everything, Connect Everything"

Post by gokaigers6661 »

i use a apple laptop and i use a VLC media player in which a lot of older shows work is there a way to reencode the videos to play on ps3
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

You can use a media server application to stream to the ps3, so most of them should be okay reencoding on the fly. The problem honestly is your computer, there's still not a lot of applications for macs.
gokaigers6661
Quote: "Destroy Everything, Connect Everything"

Post by gokaigers6661 »

i also use a app called ps3 media server however it doesn't work some examples are dekaranger in which i need to change to aspect ratio cause i can't see the subtitles and another is gekirangers in which i don't get any sound i need help since i really want to see these series as well but the ps3 media server app doesn't help and i not sure about using VLC to encode the videos to work
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I suggest TVersity, I haven't had any aspect ratio problems with it.
kmizuno
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Jetman
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Internet Governance

Post by kmizuno »

For me, PS3 Media Server works very well to stream to PS3. URL: http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/
gatoronfire4lord
Infinity
Favorite series: Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Dreamy: Maya (Kiva)
Favorite Band: Avalon

Post by gatoronfire4lord »

Just like take posted on the feed, I use TVersity to stream to my 360. Interestingly enough, I didn't pay for it. I think I have an older version that's free. I don't believe the latest version is free but mine still works. It's pretty reliable. For a while, I was just streaming directly from PC to the 360 through the network, but that stopped working, and when I went back to TVersity, it still was. It's really easy.

* Install TVersity on your PC (either pay the $4 or look at some old version sites for a free version)
* Go into its Library and add the folders you want to share. It will take a little bit for it to process them.
* Start File Sharing in TVersity
* On your 360, go to TV and Movies and hit My Video Apps.
* Go to System Video Player.
* Your TVersity server should show up in the list of available video folders.

It's always streamed everything TV-Nihon has done fine. It also handles subbed stuff from *gasp* other groups okay...except when trying to stream high-def stuff like mkv. It either won't play it, or it plays it but removes the subtitles.

Enjoy!
Ryouga
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ryouga »

I have a strange problem, the older releases work perfect on xbox 1 media centre but new ones not at all so the opposite of normal.

Also my standalone dvd player doesnt support certain mp4 codecs so wont play.

Shame as wanted to watch sd shows on sd tv.
kmizuno
Favorite series: Jetman
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Internet Governance

Post by kmizuno »

Hey Takky, when I read your post, I immediately thought of replying as a comment in the original post.

Anyway, basically one needs to do a basic research about UPnP media servers. I think that probably Plex or XBMC are somehow a more complete solution, but for my needs and for sake of simplicity, I prefer PS3 Media Server, which was originally designed to act as a PS3 media proxy, but they made it as a very good UPnP server, which works in a lot of devices such as XBOX360 and newer smart TVs.

I guess that is it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

So I'm pretty pleased with PS3 Media Server. It works really great.

Something weird to note about TVersity. I uninstalled it, but I'm still able to access the files from my PS3. I guess the settings permanently opened up the folders over the wifi?

Come to think of it, the connections were so easy that I imagine anyone with a close enough device could access my files. That's bad, right?

Edit: Maybe I misunderstood how the connection is being made. I turned off the wifi on my computer and it's still connecting. I guess since both the PS3 and computer are connected to the same router, that's how they're being connected.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

youd need to disable Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service as it would be using that to aid in sharing out the files to UPnP devices, and youd only be able to access them via the local network, its not an external service

XBMC is a good alround system, but is very much more advanced and requires more hardware as you need a HTPC connected to your TV, something like a Acer Revo or a Raspberry Pi and the back end storage be it a PC with a folder shared out or a NAS device, it does require a good sound knowledge of computers and SMB/NFS shares depending on your storage to be able to use it, its not something that you can easily just slap together and press go,
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!

Return to “Playback Help”