Encoding for AppleTV etc.

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
LastLine
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Gimme some Umeko!

Encoding for AppleTV etc.

Post by LastLine »

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right place to put such a query...but it seemed the best. Sorry if I got it wrong.

I regularly reencode all my downloads so that I can watch them through my AppleTV on my HDTV - however I have trouble getting encodes to look 'sharp' on it (talking HD encodes of Gokaiger in particular)

Now - let me clarify I'm not asking anyone to change any forms of encoding here at all, but I wondered - does anyone else do this? And if so have you found any particularly good presets to do so with? I'm a Handbrake fan, but just can't quite crack it - SD's easy, HD...maybe I'm fussy but it seems harder.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Encoding for AppleTV etc.

Post by XIII »

i dont know about presets in handbreak, but i can tell you why our HD encodes dont work nativly on your AppleTV,

This is down to Apples insistence on using H.264 Level 3.1 instead of the industry standard 4.1, this level is used on Blu-Rays and on HD broadcasts. We use Level 4.1 on our encodes as it gives the best comparability with many of the leading standalone playback devices.

A setting you may find help when converting to a format AppleTV can play is to use a Constant Quality setting, use around 21-22 to get a fairly good re-encode, this can produce good results depending on the source material.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
LastLine
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Gimme some Umeko!

Re: Encoding for AppleTV etc.

Post by LastLine »

Yeah the AppleTv's a stubborn piece of kit. Thanks for the advice. Shall go play.

Return to “Playback Help”