Issues with some episodes on Western Digital Media Player

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
Leader13
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Issues with some episodes on Western Digital Media Player

Post by Leader13 »

Hey guys. Disappointed in myself for my first post here being a query, rather than a gratuitous thank you, but hey, at least it's not a complaint or a demand for subs for something you're working on.

I've downloaded a number of Kamen Rider series from you in recent weeks. A few years back when I was at University I used to watch Hibiki online on Veoh, and bits and pieces of other series. I loved them, but was too busy to properly sit and watch them.

Recently I played the All Riders DS game, and had to get back into it. So I grabbed Hibiki to finish it, as well as Den-O, Blade and Decade.

Now here's where it gets a little hit and miss. Hibiki and Blade would load, and audio would be fine, but the picture would lag and stutter. Luckily, Den-O worked. I quickly compared and saw that the only real difference I could see was the Bit Rate was different. Would that be reason enough? I don't know.

Decade and Den-O worked on the WD fine though, so I started watching Den-O. Luckily, the girlfriend got very into [which is always a bonus] and we quickly got through the episodes.

Up until #19. #19 and onwards [and here's where Bit Rate being different goes out the window] had the same problem with audio playing fine, but the image lagging.

Then it dawned on me that I possibly got these in different batched. 1-18, 19-36[?] and so on. And so the first batch up to 18 works fine, and the rest not so much.

I've tried downloading files that don't work a few times, from the torrent, a megaupload link on this forum, and via the lovely krdl.info page. And they all won't play. Seems odd that 1-18 play fine, and then the rest crap out. ...hopefully Decade won't do the same.

I mean, this isn't a HUGE issue, for a while I just connected the laptop to the tv and watched a few while downloading the HD files, which work fine. And...kind of spoiled me for quality. I'm not overly fussed with HD, until the moment I see it and realise how beautiful it is.

So I was just wondering if any of you guys knew what could be up? Is there something different between Den-O 1-18 and 19-the rest that I'm unaware of that could be the reason for this?

[2-29 of Kiva also has the same issues, but a quick flick through of W and Decade seem to show they all play fine]
Last edited by Leader13 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Issues with some episodes on Western Digital Media Playe

Post by XIII »

This would be due to old encoding techniques we dont use any more, unfortunately the encoding technique used items specific to XviD.

Commerical players (such as your device) use DivX for decoding, which isnt able to understand the XviD aspects used, thus it wouldnt be able to play back the old files, there isnt much to do really unless you wanted to re-process them yourself for playback, maybe in the future they will be replaced as we revisit shows every so often.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Triple M
Destron Emperor
Favorite series: Destron
2nd Favorite Series: Destron
Dreamy: Destron
Favorite Actor?: Destron
Favorite Band: Destron
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Destron
Quote: *HAIL DESTRON*
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Triple M »

I have a WDTV as well. I got the first one that came out. Do you have an original WDTV or a newer model? At this point my WDTV can only barely play stuff like our HD Fourze which means it's pretty much done. It should play all of Decade fine though. If you have an Xbox 360 you may want to try playing HD's on that. I'd like to know what flavor of WDTV you own because it's time for me to replace that box with something a little more versatile. Thanks!
Leader13

Post by Leader13 »

Thanks for the answer. I was just a little curious as, like I said, seemed a bit odd when half of a series like Den-O and Kiva are fine, and the rest won't play. I can understand it not playing the older series entirely, since they are "old files" like you rightly said, but Kiva is only a few years old surely?

And, oddly, 555 works perfectly fine despite being older than the others.

Oh well, HD files and a bigger HD will solve the simple issues.

I have the newer WD Live box, which regularly has firmware updates. Like I say, I have no issue at all playing the new files, and the HD files work fine on the WD box, it's a few of the older ones that aren't playing properly. I don't have a 360 but I have a TV that plays files, and I get exactly the same issues with the files on the tv as I do the WD. Plays Den-O 1-18, won't play 19-onwards.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yup, these are all known issues. Unfortunately the only way to deal with them is to reencode.

Return to “Playback Help”