Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Kabuto

Because having more riders than a Sentai team can be good.
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< Hibiki | Kabuto | Den-O >

What did you think of Kabuto?

☆☆☆☆☆ The Strongest
55%
☆☆☆☆ To the top
26%
☆☆☆ La men
12%
☆☆ Worm
3%
☆ Convoluted time travel story
5%

Total votes: 77
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Kabuto

Post by takenoko »

5. It's definitely flawed, especially at the latter half, but it has so much potential and does so many things right from the get go to the movie, that I can forgive all that. Probably has the most strongest set of RIder personalities in one show (outside of Agito).

Kabuto images
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Kabuto

Post by Catastrophe »

I agree exactly with what you said Take. 2nd half was kind of odd (Dark Kitchen Arc I'm looking at you), but by god was it fun.

Tendou being a Mary Sue or whatever people label him isn't really and issue when Kagami is normal and is almost just as much the main character. And they did the right thing making him a rider. It has some fantastic and tearjerker scenes throughout and some sweet fights. I love how distinct the fighting styles for each of the riders are. Clock Up is a cool gimmick before rider gimmicks become over the top. And if that triple rider kick with Kabuto/Gatack/KickHopper doesn't hype you, then you don't understand justice.

I can also appreciate some of the rewriting that had to be done based on availability of the actors for Hiyori and Drake. I still think they pulled those off well.
Last edited by Catastrophe on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

Hurrrrrmm...I had to settle on a 3 for Kabuto. I've been watching the Hesei series in order (excluding Kuuga for the time being), and Kabuto didn't really stick with me. What I liked about the show was independent of the story, like the suits and the music, for instance. Honestly, I don't think it really have much of a chance on my list being sandwiched between my two favorite KR series: Hibiki and Den-o. I was never a big fan of Tendou's personality, but I also think that the character fit the "mysterious hero" better than any of the other Riders I've seen so far. I personally thought the story was very safe, and didn't go all out with wild bombshell twists and things like that, but I wonder how much that was affected by the Hibiki staff fiasco. I would have liked to know more about Dark Tendou, he seemed like an interesting part of the show. The story sort of reminded me of Agito, just with the visuals brought up to the standards of the day. Definitely not my favorite KR series, but definitely not the least favorite. That honor belongs to Blade.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
xenoss
Adventure

Post by xenoss »

My favorite series BY FAR. To this day I think Kabuto has the best Rider designs and gimmick designs. Both clock up and cast off are so stylish, and the suits themselves look great. The rider cast is also among the best; Mizushima Hiro and Ito Ken from Den-O are the only toku actors who made it relatively big as far as I know.

The story had so much potential, but never really reached my initial expectations. It is a damn shame. But for a rider show, it isn't too bad either. The characters are so interesting, it pulled through with personality if not plot.

The largest scar in Kabuto is the final episode. It felt as though they ran out of budget; oddly out of place with the rest of the series. Not only did they not use clock up at all during the last fight, but the choreography of that fight did not have Kabuto and Gatack's usual fighting styles. It looked like a crappy wrestling match in a shitty set. To call it disappointing doesn't even come close to how let down I was.

But overall still one of my top favorite series.

It was sad that it was followed by Den-O, which to me, was one of the worst if not THE worst. It was the beginning of the childish tonal switch.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

Kabuto was my very first Rider series and it still my favorite; I give it a solid 5. It still had some missed potential (mostly due to the rewrites that were already mentioned) but I don't think they could have done any better with what they had. Kagami and Tendou were the perfect duo, making up for one another's flaws with their own strengths and though they didn't always agree, woe be unto he who angered them both (usually by targeting Hiyori; that's a surefire way to win a Darwin Award right there). It also has, hands-down, my favorite suit designs and Henshin devices in the Zecters (coolest device voice ever, in my own humble opinion) and it felt like everyone brought their A-game to every episode.
xenoss
Adventure

Post by xenoss »

Can you guys elaborate on the rewrites? How did you guys find out anyway?
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

xenoss wrote:Can you guys elaborate on the rewrites? How did you guys find out anyway?
There were some hasty rewrites done to to the fact that Daisuke/Kamen Rider Drake's actor was also a singer, and the shooting schedule conflicted with recording and promoting his album, so they had to rewrite several episodes to remove Daisuke from them, scrapping some plot lines entirely. Also, Hiyori's actress suffered from health problems and was removed from the show for several episodes. When she recovered sufficiently to return, they had to bring her back somehow and so the final arc got a heavy rewrite in order to explain her absence and return, which was, admittedly, hit-and-miss with its execution.
dualvision1984
7X
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Quote: The meaning of the journey lies within the journey itself - Eijiro Hikari, Kamen Rider Decade
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by dualvision1984 »

For me, I'll give it 5 out of 5. Excellent story. Cool transformation to Rider form and great characters especially Tendou san.
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

When I watched the show sometime between 2006 and 2009, I was obessed in rewatching the series because Kabuto was cool and entertaining.

Now, I find the story is a meh. The second half is very flawed, Tsurugi's parts are dumb, his comedies are inferior to the story. I didn't even want to mention his parts when I contributed the episodes on the wiki. Same with the Hopper Brothers (Yaguruma and Kageyama), they were cool when they appeared in ep 7. They become useless from ep 34 onwards.

Sorry, Kabuto. A three out of five for me because your story is poisoned by the comedies parts.
daigotsukojin
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by daigotsukojin »

Giving Kabuto a 5 here. While Kabuto did have its ups and downs related to story, so does every rider series in its own way.

On the whole, I felt that Tendou's overall personality kept me watching. His interactions with each other character fit in perfectly with his persona, and did not waver.

I was also impressed with the Rider system designs. While I prefer they keep with the belt motif for each rider, I wasn't too upset with the different types used.

Kabuto will go down as a series I can watch over and over again.
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

I loved the show when I first saw it, but a rewatch got really unenjoyable during the second half.

I admit the Rider designs and music is all really good, and Tendou is hilarious and refreshing as a rider protagonist.

However almost all of the riders except Kabuto and Kagami felt superfluous and contributed next to nothing to the overall story other than their own personal little arcs. Additionally, I hated how they completely ignored masked forms and clock up in the second half of the show.

But the biggest problem is just how shit the story got in the second half, for so many reasons. Just the existence of Hyper Kabuto alone raises so many plot holes.

So it gets a 3.
Shaider03
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Double
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Zentreya
Favorite Actor?: Robert Downey Jr
Quote: My love for tokusatsu will never die.

Post by Shaider03 »

I really like Kabuto so I'm going to give it a four. It has amazing fight scenes and Kabuto himself has this amazing over the top cocky personality that you don't see often from the main Rider. The best part is he can back it up. Which is a welcomed change from the standard main Rider archetype.

However their are some plot holes and a bad placement of a filler episode that wrecks the tension from the episode before it and is two part too long. Worse you have to watch it because the B plot of it is actually the main plot of the show. This creates a massive tonal shift back and forth during both episodes. All the time travel stuff just created a slew of issues leaving you to question whither or not God Speed Love is Cannon. The show hints it in one scene and tries to debunk it in another. The key problem with that the pro scene regard's Kagami's dad knowing he was going to be Gatack before he was even born. This could be them hinting that the previous time line from God Speed Love and its attempt to link to the show is cannon. The other debunking scene regards young Tendou getting his belt for the first time. This scene has two different version one from God Speed Love and the one presented near the end of the show.

The show is very entertaining and some how can hit the mark in both its dark tones and at times its humor. Its a solid 4 for me and the issue's I mentioned all the only thing keeping it from being a 5 or 4.5.
Last edited by Shaider03 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

Kamen Rider Gumo wrote:
xenoss wrote:Can you guys elaborate on the rewrites? How did you guys find out anyway?
There were some hasty rewrites done to to the fact that Daisuke/Kamen Rider Drake's actor was also a singer, and the shooting schedule conflicted with recording and promoting his album, so they had to rewrite several episodes to remove Daisuke from them, scrapping some plot lines entirely. Also, Hiyori's actress suffered from health problems and was removed from the show for several episodes. When she recovered sufficiently to return, they had to bring her back somehow and so the final arc got a heavy rewrite in order to explain her absence and return, which was, admittedly, hit-and-miss with its execution.
THANK YOU for explaining this. I thought both disappearances were strangely placed and poorly explained during the show, but I couldn't find any explanation. :D
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
miryoku
Adventure
Quote: Blacking tosh.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by miryoku »

I give it a 3.
The story was nothing special, i hated tendou, he was too mary sue to me ^^;
Seems like it was disguising the fact that Kagami was the true protagonist XD
But yeah, i always felt that kagami was more of a mc than tendou.

What it stands out are the rider suits, the zecter insects and the music which it was pretty good!
Triple M
Destron Emperor
Favorite series: Destron
2nd Favorite Series: Destron
Dreamy: Destron
Favorite Actor?: Destron
Favorite Band: Destron
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Destron
Quote: *HAIL DESTRON*
Type: INTP Architect