Was he really that likeable?

Because having more riders than a Sentai team can be good.
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< Hibiki | Kabuto | Den-O >
yumenotenshi07
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojirou
Dreamy: Yaguruma Sou
Favorite Actor?: Sato Tomohito
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Re: Was he really that likeable?

Post by yumenotenshi07 »

Well. In defense of the organization, Kagami's dad does know who he is (because the crazy, creepy man knows everything?). So there is a little cheating going on there.

I'd leave Daisuke for Tendou. In terms of hotness, Tendou is way better looking (IMO). XD

Lol. I like that saying with "pancreas."

Tendou_Sora
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Riders
Dreamy: Tendou Souji
Favorite Actor?: Misushima Hiro
Favorite Band: RIDER CHIPS
My boom: Kabuto Zector
Quote: Only one who can beat Chuck Norris is Tendou Souji.

Post by Tendou_Sora »

yumenotenshi07 wrote: I'd leave Daisuke for Tendou. In terms of hotness, Tendou is way better looking (IMO). XD
I'm very agree with you here!! :lol:
"Just a passing-through Kamen Rider fan, remember it!!"

*This signature is my creation, please don't use it without my permission
hisakuya
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Neutral

Post by hisakuya »

I also agree with that

Tendou's superiority is due the fact he literally trained each day to be a Rider as said in the 1st ep. His dedication to be rider is too great

that he did not go to school or have a job, just to train to be one.
Darien_Shields
7X

Post by Darien_Shields »

I think with something like this opinions aren't going to be changed because... well, it's sort of like jokes. If you have to explain a joke, it isn't funny, is it? If someone didn't get it the first time, even once each individual component has been explained and they understand why it should be funny, they still can't really laugh because they didn't get it the first time. That said, I think opinions may change if, after this, we actually watched Kabuto over again. If it's possible to watch it while considering what's been said, maybe we could see it in a different light? I might try it once I get home... but for now my connection's too awful ^_^;

I think perhaps I might have liked Tendou more if it were more possible to get into the guy's head. It's hard to know what he's thinking- and I suppose that's part of the charm- but it'd make him seem more human if once and a while when nobody else was around he actually revealed his insecurities even if it was just to the viewer.

As for jeapordy and struggles, people do love an underdog. It's not as much fun to watch a foregone conclusion, which most of Tendou's fights are. Admittedly the character drama is the more interesting area of the show, but, well... I *do* watch Kamen Rider to see dudes kicking other dudes. Not that I dislike character drama, I just like it balanced with some good dude kicking.

I guess I've been harping on about this all thread, but it seems to me like there have been guys like Tendou in previous Kamen Rider series- just not the main riders. He and Kagami seem very role-reversed between the usual "main rider" and "rival". Usually the main rider is the more flawed, uncertain, human character with clear motivations who struggles to achieve his goals, while the rival is cool and aloof with hidden motivations, and ultimately acts as a mentor to the main rider. (Although I suppose one might argue that this 'role reversal' also exists in Faiz, except the rival is not a rider, but a monster)

Definitely I'd have to agree that the variety and experimentation is good for Kamen Rider as a series, and I'm more appreciative of it now. But, to get back to my original point, I guess I just didn't 'laugh' the first time.
hisakuya
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by hisakuya »

In my opinion, the story projects Kagami as the main rider. Tendou is merely his rival rider and his driving force.
riderkicker
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Jetman
2nd Favorite Series: BLACK
Dreamy: Hikawa
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa
Favorite Band: FoC
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: King! Ha!

Post by riderkicker »

Well, at least he wasn't all "I've got to be stronger no matter what even it means I gotta strip naked into a tub of prehistoric weeds."

Sure he was aloof and a d- at times, but at least he was frickin' stoic.
And at that Albie cried a single tear which turned into a jelly bean all the colors of the rainbow! And
suddenly...Albie wasn't racist anymore!!!
Darien_Shields
7X

Post by Darien_Shields »

riderkicker wrote:Well, at least he wasn't all "I've got to be stronger no matter what even it means I gotta strip naked into a tub of prehistoric weeds."
*blinks*

... pardon?
Anime_freek22
Train man
Favorite series: GARO/Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojirou
Favorite Band: UVERworld
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: well dressed pickles
Quote: "You were right all along Finn. Now I'm going to cut out Bubblegum's heart, and make out with it."

Post by Anime_freek22 »

I sorta liked Tendou. I could see a combo of Ishida Uryu and Chad from Bleach in him, as Chad is quiet and strong, while Ishida attempts a cool facade, and both are good characters in my opinion. Although they do get a fair bit more of development than Tendou. But he isn't all-knowing at least. Kagami opened his eyes to Hiyori's Worm-ness and he had trouble with the whole Red Shoes system. If I were to parallel him to a character from literature, I'd say maybe more of an Athena type person, albeit not a girl. Cuz Athena was reputed to be wise (like obaa-chan), a great fighter (Tendou), and was skilled in the arts (Like Tendou in cooking and other stuffs). She was also arrogant at some times and gentle at other times. Much like Tendou.
I'd say Kagami fits the Heracles-albeit weaker-archetype. He's brash, impulsive, and fights like crazy. He also cares for those close to him and is willing to go the distance.
I lost The Game!
Animetigerlily
7X
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Trip-hop

Post by Animetigerlily »

I thought tendou was a really good character, but I personally didn't like his motives for some things, nor the way he kept shoving poor kaGAmi away when kaGAmi was trying his hardest to befriend him... :cry: :cry: :cry:

but overall, I think Tendou came through in the end ((although I thought it was a bit corny when all through the series he kept saying "i will defeat all the worm" until he finds out his own sister is a worm, then he goes around saying "i will defeat all the worm EXCEPT my sister"))

i think the ending was thought through a LOT better than den-o ((i still don't want it to end :( :( ))
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Darien_Shields wrote:I think perhaps I might have liked Tendou more if it were more possible to get into the guy's head. It's hard to know what he's thinking- and I suppose that's part of the charm- but it'd make him seem more human if once and a while when nobody else was around he actually revealed his insecurities even if it was just to the viewer.
This is central to why people have a hard time liking Tendou. I tend to think of him as more of an anti-hero than a hero. Anti-heroes do heroic deeds but the public can never fully trust them because of their enigmatic personalities and actions. Many anti-heroes operate on the principle that the ends justifies the means.

I wonder if girls like Tendou because he embodies the "bad boy" stereotype. I heard somewhere that girls like "bad boys" because it plays into a fantasy of a guy who is aloof to everyone except for that special someone in their heart.
perdomot
Adventure

Post by perdomot »

Tendou's character never grew on me because he was not only arrogant but selfish as well. He didn't seem to really care about anyone except Hiyori. Everybody else including other riders got treated as little more than tools for him to use for his purposes. When he starts collecting the other Zectors by force, as if he is simply entitled to them, I really lost any sympathy I had for the character. Kagami's struggles seemed much more genuine and human whereas Tendou seemed barely human.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Animetigerlily wrote:he kept saying "i will defeat all the worm" until he finds out his own sister is a worm, then he goes around saying "i will defeat all the worm EXCEPT my sister"))
To me, that seems like it plays into the disparity between what Tendou knows and thinks and what he says. For one thing, Tendou never finds out that Hiyori is a Worm. He sees his parents get killed and mimiced. He knows his mom died before giving birth. He walks into the whole story knowing full well that Hiyori is a Worm, yet accepts her as his legitimate little sister

I kind of forget what the various meanings of hero and anti-hero are, but I think Tendou is a hero in the way I think Ren is a hero. They're both guys that risk life and limb to protect those they love.

Edit: I think the question of selfishness goes back to my question about Knight's quest. Is it selfish to fight for others, even if it's just one person? I legitimately don't know, but it seems to me to be more realistic than the hero who fights for everyone. Come on, no one likes everyone
ToastedFred
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by ToastedFred »

I'll just quickly post my thoughts.

He made Kabuto unwatchable for me. I love the series design, i like the story, but I just could not stand to watch him. I'm not sure what it is, but I have trouble sitting through one episode. Whenever I go to watch the series from the start again, after a big break, I get to about episode 5, and its just to painful to watch on.
Shado Kabuto
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Faiz Kabuto Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O Deka Magi Bou

Post by Shado Kabuto »

Tendou has developed throughout the series from the being a cool laid-back cocky badass to a a more loosen up person and able to trust Kagami as a friend.
I walk the path of HEAVENS
Thanks Guile for the Kabuto Avy's and Signatures
thanks bauffie for the sig.
KuroKaze
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by KuroKaze »

I wasn't really bothered by Tendou because all the other characters complimented him well. I think by himself he is a bit stiff, however the drama between his relations with the other characters seem to show his true struggles.

He's like Ryoma from Prince of Tennis. A natural badass that has been training all his life and can pretty much whoop anyone, anytime, anywhere. However, the true struggle is whether he can be the pillar for everyone else to look up to and support. He's more of the symbol of what everyone else is trying to strive for.

About his personality and character, its just my opinion but the circumstances between Hyori, grandma, and himself pretty much provide the answer for that. He knows perfectly well that she is a Worm from the get go and his entire resolve is just to protect her well being. Remember his original name is Souji Kusakabe, but after the incident it was named to Souji Tendou. I mean his grandma and him changed his names so that he would be some one else, perfect and godly. Some one with the power to protect things and to save the day.

In my opinion, as Tendou (not Kusakabe) he takes on a persona that is infallible because of the harsh mission he has to do. He must be perfect because he is pretty much going to fight against the entire world. He MUST be perfect. There is no way a person can just go fight the entire world and not be insecure or fears, that is why Kusakabe creates Tendou. A man without fear that can protect Hiyori.

He fights against Humans, Riders, Worms, and Natives for the sole purpose of protecting his sister. Is it right? Is it wrong? Shouldn't he protect everyone else? Sure, these are questions anyone would face but Tendou is perfect, he is NOT wrong. He CAN'T be wrong, He CAN'T fail. Because for him the stakes are too high, one mistake would cost him everything. And his everything is Hiyori.

Sure Tendou doesn't really change that much or develops, but throughout the series you can see little slivers of Kusakabe leaking through his facade. I mean he does end up helping a lot of riders and people. His advice is often good intentioned. Is he unreal? Yes of course, because he isn't real. Tendou is a fake created so that Kusakabe could do what needs to be done. Tendou is unreal because he doesn't exist.

Just my opinion. :D

Return to “Kamen Rider Kabuto”