Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Re: DekaRanger announced on Blu-ray

Post by archer9234 »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:
takenoko wrote:Not surprised that it'll just be an upscale, it is Toei after all.
How I've heard it was:
Gao-Magi were shot on film, but they had all the post processing done on SD video.
Yeah. This is where the rescanning and re-editing comes in. It requires someone finding all the raw footage. And rescanning each film reel. Which wouldn't take that long. Star Trek TNG's easiest job was to scan footage. And that was completed within a few months. For the full season. Computers than shot match each cut. Then the editor reassembles the episode by the daily tapes time code. All of this is possible with Sentai. It would take a few months. TNG had 2 seasons of film footage completely rescanned and edited. Before Season 1 came out. Toei could have Dekaranger and Magiranger done within the same year. With not much of a hassle. Toei has to go back to storage vaults for PR a lot. When they request raw shots that had JPN text on them. Or if they have to get a green screen element. That recently happened in episode 8 of Dino Charge. They got Kyoryuzin's green screen footage for the boxing ring pose. They replaced the ring with a mountain effect.
takenoko wrote:I always wonder, how do you guys know whether something is shot on film or not?
I can tell the difference between the media a few ways. One: SD camera footage is much lower in clarity. Ghosting and color bleeding is a common issue. Red also causes weird moving lines. If it gets really bright. Take this example. Watch the Dairanger movie. The opening is a reuse of the shows opening. Certain shots are from tape sources. The jump between the film and tape quality is noticeable. Two: film scratches or film shake give film away too. Three: If the material has 24fps pull down in the DVD, it's film. Another thing that can help you out. Is if the video has those small black bars on the side edges. Normally, from a film master. Those don't exist. When transferring the material to SD, they didn't care if the framing was slightly off. Since CRT TV's over scanned. You never saw the black lines. Tape footage is never in 23.976fps. Only 29.97fps interlace. So even if a show was shot on film, but put on tape for final output. You can tell the differences.

The same things can also be used to see if a TV show is from a remastered source too. Watch the DVD's of Carranger. Than watch Megaranger. Car has vibrate colors, and Megaranger has a washed out look. Carranger was remastered from a film source. Mega wasn't. Since it probably was the first season to be edited strictly on tape. Another rule of thumb. If the show was made at least up to mid 1980's. It was completed on film, and not tape. They just have to go back to this film master, and make a HD transfer. Eexcluding shows deemed cheap. Doctor Who and sitcoms are examples. 1985 and up is a 50/50 chance. 1990 and on, film to tape only. Sentai seems to stick with film, till Megaranger. Anime was the same way. They usually got completed on film with very few things done on tape. Than transferred to tape. Going as far as 2000. Take Cardcaptor Sakura. That was old enough to be completed on film. Except for the credits and title card text. On the Bluray's those are new fonts. Now Sailor Moon's BS was just them being cheap bastards. That show is done on film. And lie about the transfer they did. I'm wondering if the BD release of Digimon Adventure S1 is gonna pull the same thing. And be upscales. Except for the evolution shots, and a few computer graphics. It was still done on film, then tape transferred.

If the Digimon team kept all the CGI animation files. They could re-render them out to 1080p. The textures would show their low resolutions. But the actual polygons would be in real HD. This would also help out the hybrid shots, of when they use CGI with animation cels. Super Evolution would be this case. The backgrounds are CGI. But the Digimon rotation is cel (minus Greymon & Garurumon stuff). They just need to rescan the cel animation. Re-insert it into the CGI animation. Than just re-render out. This is how things get expensive. But these are stock shots used over and over again. This would help save money and time on that shows remaster. But again, this is Toei. They seem to not want to do this for any of their shows. Except for the stuff that was completed on film. With the exception of Sailor Moon. Witch was probably caused by the high costs in releasing the series, after this long wait period. No one bothered to pay to re-scan the episodes.

As of now. From my knowledge. These are the only things that can/are true HD for Sentai: Goranger-Carranger, all theater movies.
Things that are not HD, but could be re-edited back to HD: Megaranger-Magiranger. Minus effect shots starting from Gaoranger. Due to the increase of CGI use. And film effects being dropped.
Off shoots, like the Hyper Battle videos are stuck as SD.
Team up movies. Some like Super Sentai World are in HD. Due to the year it was made. Later ones like VS Sentai need to be re-edited.
Shows that were filmed in digital HD from the start: Boukenger-present time. All movies and bonus material would be in HD as well.

Kamen Rider same thing. All the shows from 70's to J are in film HD. The re-imagined movies are HD.
The Heisei seasons that CAN NOT BE HD. Not even by re-editing are: Kuuga-Hibiki. These seasons are all upscale jobs. Their movies are in HD. Most of the early director's cuts AREN'T. Due to them saving money during editing.
Den-O-present are shot in digital HD. And all their bonus stuff would be as well.

Note: Digital HD has a drawback. This is permanently stuck at 1080p resolution. Den-O and the like would be up-scales. If they bother to do 4K releases. Later seasons like W and up (Shinkenger and up) are shot with 4K cameras. But them re-editing them back to 4K, isn't gonna happen. Plus, effect shots use the higher res to do those fancy zooms and shakes. If they re-render them back out. The quality will drop. From the visibility in zooming in.

Best visual example. Zyuranger's promo was never remastered. They took it from a old tape source:
Here's the same shot from the actual episode:
Last edited by archer9234 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:27 am, edited 20 times in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Ah okay, thanks for the explanation. It was really in depth
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

takenoko wrote:I always wonder, how do you guys know whether something is shot on film or not?
archer9234 wrote:I can tell the difference between the media a few ways. One: SD camera footage is much lower in clarity. Ghosting and color bleeding is a common issue. Red also causes weird moving lines. If it gets really bright. Take this example. Watch the Dairanger movie. The opening is a reuse of the shows opening. Certain shots are from tape sources. The jump between the film and tape quality is noticeable. Two: film scratches or film shake give film away too. Three: If the material has 24fps pull down in the DVD, it's film. Another thing that can help you out. Is if the video has those small black bars on the side edges. Normally, from a film master. Those don't exist. When transferring the material to SD, they didn't care if the framing was slightly off. Since CRT TV's over scanned. You never saw the black lines. Tape footage is never in 23.976fps. Only 29.97fps interlace. So even if a show was shot on film, but put on tape for final output. You can tell the differences.
This. A lot of it is reading behind the scenes info and then comparing other shows that look familiar, but the easiest thing to ask yourself is if something looks closer to a movie or newscast (I know newscasts use film occasionally when showing archive footage or, ironically, clips from a movie, but most comes from video).

For Dekaranger specifically, it looks film like, from TV-Nihon's subs and the clips used in SPD (everything looks like it's shot on film).

I wish Toei would rescan the film like Star Trek TNG. I'll keep my hope up (maybe they were only talking about the FX scenes? :? ), maybe it will look good, but this isn't the perfect way to release Dekaranger on Blu-Ray.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

archer9234 wrote:Watch the DVD's of Carranger. Than watch Megaranger. Car has vibrate colors, and Megaranger has a washed out look. Carranger was remastered from a film source. Mega wasn't. Since it probably was the first season to be edited strictly on tape.
That'd sound right on Mega's case:
Bunny hat, release post wrote:The first five episodes look much better than the others, as Carranger 6 is when Toei started doing a few final bits of post-production on tape, and they didn't bother redoing those few final steps when they did the DVDs, so we got stuck with blendy tape masters for every episode from Carranger 6 through the end of Timeranger, and all Sentai V-Cinema releases through GoGoV vs Gingaman.
The Heisei seasons that CAN NOT BE HD. Not even by re-editing are: Kuuga-Hibiki. These seasons are all upscale jobs. Their movies are in HD. Most of the early director's cuts AREN'T. Due to them saving money during editing.
I agree on the others, but according to this link, Kuuga and Hibiki can be in HD if Toei ever well pleased to do so.
http://bunnyhat.blogspot.com/2013/05/sh ... eisei.html
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:
archer9234 wrote:Watch the DVD's of Carranger. Than watch Megaranger. Car has vibrate colors, and Megaranger has a washed out look. Carranger was remastered from a film source. Mega wasn't. Since it probably was the first season to be edited strictly on tape.
That'd sound right on Mega's case:
Bunny hat, release post wrote:The first five episodes look much better than the others, as Carranger 6 is when Toei started doing a few final bits of post-production on tape, and they didn't bother redoing those few final steps when they did the DVDs, so we got stuck with blendy tape masters for every episode from Carranger 6 through the end of Timeranger, and all Sentai V-Cinema releases through GoGoV vs Gingaman.
I agree on the others, but according to this link, Kuuga and Hibiki can be in HD if Toei ever well pleased to do so.
http://bunnyhat.blogspot.com/2013/05/sh ... eisei.html
So Kuuga and hibiki were filmed? Than they just stopped in between, the hell. That's really poor planning. That causes delays when producing stuff. I was trying to tell if those two where. But thanks to them stupidly letter-boxing Kuuga. That made the DVD sets horrible. And Hibiki kept jumping around with quality. This explains why some episodes where bright other times darker.
Scsigs Gokai Red
Number 6
Number 6
Quote: Let's make it showy!

Post by Scsigs Gokai Red »

Can anyone help me out? I'm getting the sets & the 10 years after special when they come out, but here's the thing; I don't speak Japanese. Sure, I know a few phrases & words from watching Gokaiger, but I always know what's going on & can only completely understand the dialogue by reading the subs. Can anyone help me put subs on the discs that I can turn on & off like the Zyuranger set Shout! Factory released earlier this year?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Wait, you want to make new discs with subs or modify the official disc to have subs? Cause the second one is impossible.
Scsigs Gokai Red
Number 6
Number 6

No, I'm fairly certain it can be done. I've looked into it & I'm sure you can hack into the discs to put subtitles on them for the episodes.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

If you make a new disc, maybe, sure. But you can't modify a finalized burned disc. Hacking doesn't work like that.
Scsigs Gokai Red
Number 6
Number 6

You can do it for DVDs, so I imagine it can be done for Blu-Rays, but if you can't, that sucks.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Can you show me exactly where you're seeing information that says you can do that? Because I am 100% sure it's not possible.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Sounds like he's reencoding the DVD and burning a new copy. Pretty sure you can't add anything to a disc once it's written though.
Scsigs Gokai Red
Number 6
Number 6

Oh, I've seen in YouTube comments & have looked up that you can hack into DVDs using various programs, & using such programs can help you put subtitles on an already-produced official DVD.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Please show me this program that can make the impossible possible.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

Maybe he's talking about multi-session burning for DVD-Rs?
Here's what I found:
http://www.wikihow.com/Burn-More-Than-Once-to-DVD-R
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 924AAlvhpU

And anyways, DVDs sold would already been finalized and not use a multi-session burn, so it's still impossible to rewrite them.

Return to “Tokusou Sentai DekaRanger”