DekaRanger Vs. Abaranger released

It's Judgment Time!
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< TimeRanger | DekaRanger | MagiRanger >
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Re: DekaRanger Vs. Abaranger released

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

I just downloaded this because it's my favorite team-up and I wanted to see it in HD with TV-Nihon's subs. I previously watched Pocket Universe's encode with Imagination Station's subs because I wanted to see what upscaled Super Sentai looked like, in particular Dekaranger.

I'm thinking Pocket Universe did something because TV-Nihon's had more interlacing and motion artifacts. If anyone's seen both, can you tell me why they both look different? Thank you.

(I'd post the link to Pocket Universe's sub, but I wasn't sure if that was against the rules or not and I didn't want to do anything that could be misconstrued as unloyal to TV-Nihon. You guys turn subbing into an art :) ).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Huh, that's an interesting question. I did throw out the 1080 version because it looks really bad, but maybe I messed up my encoding script.

Do you mind if I ask what frame rate their encode was in? I don't mind doing another encode to see if I can improve our subs.
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

takenoko wrote:Huh, that's an interesting question. I did throw out the 1080 version because it looks really bad, but maybe I messed up my encoding script.

Do you mind if I ask what frame rate their encode was in? I don't mind doing another encode to see if I can improve our subs.
29 frames a second. Yours was still good. I didn't mean to insult you, I was just stating there was a difference and wanted to know why that was. I'm not a video encoder, that's why I was curious.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Nah, I didn't find it insulting in the least. I'm just trying to figure out what the difference would have been. Maybe they used some kind of filter to clean up the pixelation?
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

Thank you (about it not being insulting). I dont know what they could've done. Would you like the link? I can also ask on Twitter.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Nah, I don't know enough about video stuff to figure that out by looking. If you don't mind asking, that'd be cool. Otherwise, I can just try experimenting with a few filters this weekend.
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

Pocket Universe's got back to me. They said they used filters (they specifically mentioned a de-telecine filter) but they think the problem lies with the bit rate, that yours might be too low. Don't know if that helps or not.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That could be it. I definitely want to try looking up a denoise or depixel filter though, since Deka's tv episodes are looking pretty dirty as well.

Thanks again for your feedback! I appreciate it.
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

No problem, and again, I didn't mean to put your efforts down.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Releasing the v2 today. I did apply a filter to get rid of some noise, but I think the biggest change in the v2 is the change in frame rate. I believe the video was originally shot at 23.976 and then converted to 29.970 for the VHS/DVD release, which carried into the blu-ray conversion. So when I kept it at 29.970, it kept the choppy interlaced transition frames that happen like every 4 frames. I think the motion will be a lot smoother now.
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

Looks way better in motion. Great job :)
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote:Releasing the v2 today. I did apply a filter to get rid of some noise, but I think the biggest change in the v2 is the change in frame rate. I believe the video was originally shot at 23.976 and then converted to 29.970 for the VHS/DVD release, which carried into the blu-ray conversion. So when I kept it at 29.970, it kept the choppy interlaced transition frames that happen like every 4 frames. I think the motion will be a lot smoother now.
I could be wrong but don't Toei shoot all their shows on film at 24fps?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

Not all Toei tokusatsu shows were shot in 23.976 fps. Heisei Riders from Kuuga to Hibiki were shot in 59.940 fps (Through DVD, I think).

ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

DaVinci030 wrote:Not all Toei tokusatsu shows were shot in 23.976 fps. Heisei Riders from Kuuga to Hibiki were shot in 59.940 fps (Through DVD, I think).
I haven't downloaded the V2 yet, but looking at the V1, there's evidence that Toei mixed 24fps and 30fps material. The filming took place at 24fps, but the special effects were done at 30.

In which case the problem you run into is that there's no "correct" option for the frame rate, the material was specifically designed for a 480i CRT. You either get deinterlacing artifacts of the 24fps material, or you get deinterlacing artifacts + missing frames of the 30fps material.

Return to “Tokusou Sentai DekaRanger”