Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Space Squad: Gavan VS DekaRanger released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Space_Squad

Oh yeah, that was genuinely good. The action was amazing. The story was well-paced. All the characters were used effectively. I'm pleased!

Let's start with the bad. It's Geki. This is what? His fifth billionth appearance? He's still the same frat boy who gets in trouble for being a hot head. And at the end, his dad is the one who bails him out of trouble. New Gavan is his own worse enemy. It's no wonder that Shelly doesn't want to work with him anymore.

Speaking of which, did they just get rid of Shelly? That sucks, because Morita Suzuka can act now! She's grown up so much since Shinkenger. It sounds like they're going to be doing more Space Squad, so it's sorta lame if they cut her out of it.

Part of what made this movie were the villains. The main bad guy is basically a better Gavan. The kunoichi was awesome, and it's great to see her be more than just an enemy to be defeated. She has her honor system, she's pretty much undefeated, and it looks like she'll play a bigger part in later movies.

Is this really the first time that Gavan met the DekaRangers? Weird. It's weird to hear them praise Gavan, since they really should be wondering what they're doing with this man-child. Geki is a lot less irritating in this movie than he is in previous ones, but he's still always the worst part of whatever collaboration he's a part of.

Gotta love the DekaRanger moments though. Sen and Umeko's wedding. The return of S.W.A.T. Mode along with one of the best songs in all of Sentai. DekaWing Robo even makes an appearance.

I also really enjoyed watching Ban tower over Geki. Like a disappointed father over his petulant brat.

But yeah, awesome movie. Still need to watch Girls in Trouble. But I wouldn't mind seeing what they do next for Space Squad. (Don't do KyuuRanger... Oh, you're doing that aren't you, you fuckers. You ruined it! You ruined it already!)

5/5 lucky stars.

Edit: I want whatever Ban is using to stay forever young.

Edit edit: When did Toei steal Amemiya's ink style for their logo?

Is Jasmine's son named Berry? I can't find his name written down anywhere
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Space Squad: Gavan VS DekaRanger released

Post by PHurricane »

This is probably going to be repetitive because I wrote it before I read Takenoko’s post, but man, they make it hard for me to like Geki. It’s funny - right before Umeko commented on their similarities, I was thinking about how Geki isn’t too different from Ban at the start of Dekaranger. The big difference is that Ban actually matured and (usually) follows the chain of command these days. Geki’s had, what, 6 movies and a handful of cameo episodes? Over the course of those, I swear he’s gotten less mature and more impulsive. He should have been fired so many times. Instead, he gets promoted again and again. I’m fine with him being part of the Space Squad - I thought they showed him working well with the Dekarangers - but he desperately needs someone to rein him in.

On the other hand, the Dekaranger cast had me laughing pretty much from start to finish. Things like how everyone had time to change into their uniforms before they visited the first crime scene, but Umeko kept her wedding dress on. Or getting Umeko’s silly song, Sen’s thinking pose, partner jokes and Jasmine is an ESPer for the billionth time. Even though they’re running gags, they were worked in really smoothly. Same for all of the introductions, including DekaMaster and DekaBreak (who sadly didn’t get to joint the group fight at the climax).

I agree - aside from Gavan, who admittedly got more tolerable as the movie progressed, this was a pretty solid movie. I’d look forward to more movies set in this universe, especially if we get a rotating cast featuring some of those other space-themed sentai/metal heroes. Huh, no Kamen Riders in that montage, were there? Guess they don’t need the sales boost.

That moment when Benikiba chops off her own hand was a bit of a “oh shit” moment. When she walked away, I figured she would end up the tease for future installments.

Did they hire Dan Kuroto’s brother to play Lars? They have a very similar maniacal/scenery-chewing presence. I almost expected a Mario pipe to pop up when Satan Ghost squished him.

Watching the explanation for where everyone’s suits come from I realized we don’t get explanations like that anymore, do we? Well, I guess Go-Busters kind of explained theirs, but it’s rare. I miss details like that.

I also loved the English behind the giant gun. “You have control, B. Akaza,” indeed.

Holy random Akibarangers reference.

Huh, not sure what Jasmine's son is named. Ban asks in the 10 Years After movie, but Jasmine is interrupted before she answers and then refers to him as "my son" the rest of the time.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I realized that Jasmine referred to her son as baby-chan, but it still would have been nice if there were an actual name there. I had a theory that the son in 10 years after was her own actual baby, but since it's been a few years, I doubt her son would be still that small. Speaking of which, I wonder how much time has passed chronologically.

Jasmine is back to work, but her son still needs diapers?
DevGryphon
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: SKYRIM!!
Quote: Define normal...
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by DevGryphon »

PHurricane wrote:I also loved the English behind the giant gun. “You have control, B. Akaza,” indeed.
Speaking of the giant gun, did anyone else notice the giant hologram of DekaRed holding it?

Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking. If you cheat, may you cheat death; if you steal, may you steal a woman's heart; if you fight, may you fight for a brother; if you drink, may you drink with me.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

DevGryphon wrote:Speaking of the giant gun, did anyone else notice the giant hologram of DekaRed holding it?
I did. Gavan mentioned a rip off to Shaider's Shooting Formation/Big Magnum.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Your image didn't load.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

That was really fun! After the mediocrity of Chou Super Hero Taisen, this was a nice breath of fresh air. Okay, so Geki still needs a swift kick in the nads, but it was great to see the Dekarangers again (although Swan's headpieces are awkwardly high up on her head the heck guys?) and so many fun Deka references.

I honestly laughed out loud at the Akibaranger reference. That was completely unexpected and totally amazing.

Overall high marks (also way better than Suicide Squad)
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

First Geki crashes the wedding and then Umeko almost destroys the wedding when Sen got stomach issues. Let's hope they are actually married in the next Space Squad movie.

I'm going to echo the same feelings that everyone else had with this movie. It was nice to see the Dekarangers team up with the very series that it homages to with Gavan. I was surprised that Geki didn't get a brand new Laser Blade to replace the one that was broke by Mad Galen. Getting OG Gavan's Laser Blade was a nice passing of the guard.

I didn't realized that Benikiba was Hara Mikie. She was very cool in this movie. I'm with takenoko on stealing the secret of Ban's youth.

I'm up for more Space Squad movies if they are going to be like this.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Really good. That scene with the S.W.A.T. mode Rangers with the S.W.A.T. song playing in the background was fantastic.

Why can't all crossover movies be this good?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Which of these 2 should I watch first?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 am Which of these 2 should I watch first?
Episode 0 comes first linearly but you can watch in either order.
aeknar
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: "El amor soporta el peso de la tristeza porque eso lo hará más fuerte..."
MISIA - Orphans no Namida

Post by aeknar »

You can basically predict the story beats if you saw any previous New Gavan movie but... The AkibaRanger reference makes up for it!
XD
windfalcon
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Favorite Band: m-flo
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by windfalcon »

The movie was really good! But since everyone else seems to be mentioning the good, I think I'll mention personal issues with the movie ^^ Do note, I loved it, so hopefully a bit of criticism won't gather pitchforks and torches for me.

1. How the HELL did Retsu enter the Satan Ghost Dimension thing?! Like, seriously, we get NO indication of outsiders able to break through dimensions to enter.

2. Why didn't any of the Dekarangers transform in Gavan's ship when the Kunoichi lady infiltrated? Seriously, rule of cool is nice and all, but they could at least have staggered transformations for once.

3. No Face On. I really like it when Dekarangers said that when transforming.

4. Lack of actual giant robot fight against Satan Ghost. Honestly, I know the movie was running long by that point, but it feels REALLY rushed when all they do is call DekaWingRobo, remotely transform it, and just pull the trigger. Couldn't we havew had some kind of big fight shenanigans involving DekaWingRobo and Gavan's ship? Would have also been a nice callback to bring in DekaBreak at that time or have a moment where they needed to have the DekaBase transform and unleash massive amounts of firepower.

5. Is this before, or after that one Kyuuranger episode? I wanna say before, but Toku and mixed timelines are wonky all the time.

6. NO ONE COMMENTED ON GEKI'S OPEN SESAME SONG! I was eagerly awaiting the Chief to tease him about it.. or pull it up on her computer after Geki left in the end so she, her secretary and Shelley could laugh about it.

That is more or less it. Still, a fun ride and WAY better than any of the Super Hero Taisen movies.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

That was awesome! As someone who only saw half of Deka and none of Gavan, I wasn't sure if I should watch this, but everyone's verdict made me want to check it out.

I enjoyed it a lot. Glad this movie worked even as a standalone. I also like that they didn't spam the usage of the DekaRangers in costumes. Made the whole build up great. Geki and Shelly I thought had great chemistry, despite limited screen time. The action was great, as expected from Sakamoto. And man was I hype seeing that montage of heroes at the end.

All in all, good movie. The world of Toku could use more quality team up movie.
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

It was a good movie, i liked the dynamic between the Dekarangers. The writing for them hasn't become stale like most shows do.

Though i don't get why they have to include Gavan in so many things? I wish they could have used the opportunity it to develop SPD instead. Mari, where art thou?

Return to “Tokusou Sentai DekaRanger”