Total votes: 16
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: Space Squad: Gavan VS DekaRanger released

Post by Ashki »

I have to admit back when I started watching it years ago, I never expected Deka to become one of my all-time favourite sentai series. This duology really brought back fond memories. I'm also really glad the DekaRanger have continued to benefit from great writing. They just don't make toku like that anymore...

In Gavan's defense, hot-headed youth are quite popular in toku, especially leaders of teams (ex: JustiRiser, probably half of all Super Sentai, and even a few Heisei main Riders). Gavan's problem was he only had his partner to keep him toned down so he kept being hot-headed. This time, however, Deka's chemistry served as the perfect foil, and he finally got a taste or teamwork. Just like Ban. I think we're going to see a more mature Geki in future Space Squad installments, and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Shelly, now that she has a team of her own (does Geki even know about them? I have a feeling Shelly was hiding that little detail).

Echoing what pretty much everyone else has said, both of these movies were amazing, and Toei REALLY needs to steep it up now that we know they still have a little fire in them. The joy of Showa-era series were their focus on plot and character development because the SFX tech was still very rudimentary. After the first phase of Heisei Riders, Toei became way too dependant upon flashy CGI and talking props. As dated as Gavan and Deka both are, they really put modern shows to shame. Although I will admit, the laser sword battle was pretty awesome and something only modern tech could pull off so well... But the rest was good old-fashioned acting and plot.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
arromdee
Go Go!

Post by arromdee »

If you're a villain, and one of the heroines handcuffs you to her, and you want to escape by cutting off an arm, you probably want to escape by cutting off the heroine's arm, not your own.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I'd cut off my own arm and reattach it to impress Jasmine.
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

windfalcon wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:00 am
5. Is this before, or after that one Kyuuranger episode? I wanna say before, but Toku and mixed timelines are wonky all the time.
Kyuuranger Ep.18 >> G-in-T >> GxD
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This wasn't fantastic, but I enjoyed it. And I think the other posters have hit most of the high points and the low points. The Dekarangers were great, Geki less so. Otherwise, I did feel like I was missing things at times since I haven't seen the various Metal Hero series, and the recent movies. So I don't know what characters are hold-overs/reboots from those projects, and what's new specifically for this movie (being a Toei nostalgia movie, I'm assuming pretty much everything is lifted from prior series).

The pacing was a bit off though; 2 Gavin/Galan fights in 20 minutes is a bit much for a movie.

Meanwhile, I really liked Cronen's head. Despite being an otherwise standard foam rubber suit, those were the suit actor's actual eyes! :shock: It definitely gave Cronen a creepier, more evil feel; even though it was just the eyes, it's more emoting than we're used to for suited monsters. Has Toei ever done something like this before?

Finally, the premise for future movies is an interesting one. The fact that they're making Gavan the center of what's essentially being pitched as Toei's toku nostalgia series is an odd one, but it does supply a framework for future movies. If this is successful, then it will be in spite of Gavan. But after this movie I'm willing to see where the concept goes, and if they can make future movies as entertaining. Toei's nostalgia efforts have really run the spectrum from painful to amazing, so the potential is there if they can consistently execute on it.
takenoko wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:30 amSpeaking of which, did they just get rid of Shelly? That sucks, because Morita Suzuka can act now! She's grown up so much since Shinkenger. It sounds like they're going to be doing more Space Squad, so it's sorta lame if they cut her out of it.
I'm assuming they couldn't get her to sign on for future movies. In fact, when you count up screen time she was barely in this movie either. Which is a shame, since as you correctly note, she's actually a pretty good actress this days.
The kunoichi was awesome, and it's great to see her be more than just an enemy to be defeated. She has her honor system, she's pretty much undefeated, and it looks like she'll play a bigger part in later movies.
The Kunoichi has a name.:P It's Hara Mikie, and it's very cool to see her in a toku production again. She plays a villain very well, and I'm quite pleased that they're keeping her around for what will presumably be the next movie. I'm especially interested in seeing where they're going with her being a former space sheriff. (BTW, is this a reference to something that has happened in a MH series, or something new for this movie?)
Lunagel wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:25 amI honestly laughed out loud at the Akibaranger reference. That was completely unexpected and totally amazing.
That caught me off-guard as well, and got a good laugh out of me. It's probably just a writer being cheeky, but it's such a specific thing to reference that I'm hoping it means they have something planned for the Akibarangers...

PS Does anyone know where Toei got all of that HD Sentai and Metal Hero footage? Some of it seemed to be from Gokaiger, but most of it couldn't have been (especially the MH stuff). It was all very clean footage and looked fantastic
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:59 am
The kunoichi was awesome, and it's great to see her be more than just an enemy to be defeated. She has her honor system, she's pretty much undefeated, and it looks like she'll play a bigger part in later movies.
The Kunoichi has a name.:P It's Hara Mikie, and it's very cool to see her in a toku production again. She plays a villain very well, and I'm quite pleased that they're keeping her around for what will presumably be the next movie. I'm especially interested in seeing where they're going with her being a former space sheriff. (BTW, is this a reference to something that has happened in a MH series, or something new for this movie?)
Heh, yeah, you caught me. Sometimes, I write my review before translating it, so I don't always know the name offhand.

The original Benikiba was a character from Jiraiya. In early drafts of the script, she was supposed to be a space kunoichi, but that changed when Mad Garan got involved. I guess her character model is slightly based off Space Ninja Demost, although when I google image her character, she's a spider ninja. I'm guessing this Benikiba and the old one are going to be totally different characters.
RicardoCerdeira
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Kaetekitta Ultraman
2nd Favorite Series: Chojinki Metalder
Dreamy: Escape
Favorite Actor?: Kenji Ohba

Post by RicardoCerdeira »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:59 am Meanwhile, I really liked Cronen's head. Despite being an otherwise standard foam rubber suit, those were the suit actor's actual eyes! :shock: It definitely gave Cronen a creepier, more evil feel; even though it was just the eyes, it's more emoting than we're used to for suited monsters. Has Toei ever done something like this before?
Yep. I think Cronen´s design was inspirated by three Juspion villains:
Aigerman, from episode 28

Kenga and Zaul, from episode 31

takenoko wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:20 am The original Benikiba was a character from Jiraiya. In early drafts of the script, she was supposed to be a space kunoichi, but that changed when Mad Garan got involved. I guess her character model is slightly based off Space Ninja Demost, although when I google image her character, she's a spider ninja. I'm guessing this Benikiba and the old one are going to be totally different characters.
The original Benikiba was an earthling, daughter of Jiraiya´s main antagonist, Oninin Dokusai. She had no space background.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:59 am PS Does anyone know where Toei got all of that HD Sentai and Metal Hero footage? Some of it seemed to be from Gokaiger, but most of it couldn't have been (especially the MH stuff). It was all very clean footage and looked fantastic
Wasn't it just new footage? I didn't think it was old footage at all. Also I would think if they were using old footage, they go to 4:3 resolution not still be in 16:9.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Phoenix512 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 pm
ViRGE wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:59 am PS Does anyone know where Toei got all of that HD Sentai and Metal Hero footage? Some of it seemed to be from Gokaiger, but most of it couldn't have been (especially the MH stuff). It was all very clean footage and looked fantastic
Wasn't it just new footage? I didn't think it was old footage at all. Also I would think if they were using old footage, they go to 4:3 resolution not still be in 16:9.
I can't imagine they rebuilt all of those MH suits for half-second shots. Which is what leads me to believe that they're just taking the footage from something else.
RicardoCerdeira
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Kaetekitta Ultraman
2nd Favorite Series: Chojinki Metalder
Dreamy: Escape
Favorite Actor?: Kenji Ohba

Post by RicardoCerdeira »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:02 pm
Phoenix512 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 pm

I can't imagine they rebuilt all of those MH suits for half-second shots. Which is what leads me to believe that they're just taking the footage from something else.
Only the scene with Sharivan and Shaider NG were old footage, from Uchuu Keiji Gavan movie.

The suits of Jiraiya, Jiban, Draft-Redder, Janperson, Blue Beet and B-FIghter Kabuto were used in Super Hero Taisen Z.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Ahh, SHT-Z. That would do it. I was trying my best to forget about that abomination.:P
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Phoenix512 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 pmWasn't it just new footage? I didn't think it was old footage at all. Also I would think if they were using old footage, they go to 4:3 resolution not still be in 16:9.
Toei doesn't care about forcing their 4:3 footage into 16:9, though.

silver arrow
Gao
Favorite series: Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: All of them :3
Favorite Band: The Black Mages
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: One Piece

Post by silver arrow »

Mikie Hara as Benikiba was pretty awesome.
Took me a while to realize she was Cutie Honey.
Henshin a go go baby!
-Joe
sentaidragon
Go Go!
Favorite series: kamen rider
2nd Favorite Series: sentai
Dreamy: all girls :p
Favorite Actor?: i have more than one
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by sentaidragon »

the movie was pretty good, but the "fight" with satan ghost was pretty lame...
so are we going to see other metalheroes?
i hope winspector is coming... it was one of my favorite series as a child :)

Return to “Tokusou Sentai DekaRanger”