< DekaRanger | MagiRanger | Boukenger >
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Overall feelings on Magiranger

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

I'm curious to gain what people overall think about the series as a whole. I tried watching the series right after Dekaranger, and I wasn't sure whether to continue. I haven't watched the whole thing yet. only to give myself time to distance myself from Dekaranger, and due to other real life committments.

But I'm curious what people in general think about the series, and would you recommend this series to others, and if the series is worth watching all the way through.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Overall feelings on Magiranger

Post by takenoko »

It's my favorite Sentai series. It just had a little bit of everything.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Definitely my overall favorite. It's cute, funny, has awesome characterization, fantastic villains, and I still watch the entire series at least once a year. Who can honestly look at Nai and Mare and say they aren't amazing?

As the first series I saw all the way through, I'm pretty attached to it. I think when I first saw it, I watched the entire series in a matter of about 4 days, and that was only because the torrent was a little slow. It definitely draws people in - while I was watching, my sister, who was leery of sentai at the time (it's the power ranger stigma again), refused to watch it, but as I continued, she got sucked in and was jumping on me to finish the torrent as soon as possible.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Im probably gonna buck the trend here and say I didnt really like it that much, the characters more often than not annoyed me, the constant courage thing to get a new spell quickly became annoying as well.

I guess too many things bugged me about the series for me to like it

/me waits for the abuse to come flying in
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
IijumiSoukai
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Tenchi Muyo
2nd Favorite Series: Rescue Fire
Dreamy: Yoko Mitsuya <3
Favorite Actor?: Should I have one?
Favorite Band: Ask above
My boom: Drawing

Post by IijumiSoukai »

Keep watching. It leaves you with a satisfying feeling of warmth after viewing. The music is beautifully done and the bond they have as a family is enviable. You'd be missing out if you passed on this show. Please continue to watch. :)
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

You're not alone, Azazel. This was the last of the TV-N sentai series that I watched and I almost stopped 10 episodes in because I was so disappointed with it. The characters felt like caricatures of themselves - you can usually get away with one over-the-top member of the core team per series, but they all seemed to lose common sense whenever they portrayed their signature personality trait. And the family thing just seemed odd to me. I know it's not the first time sentai had a family as the team, but it's the only series I've watched with that trait.

With that said, I eventually finished the series and I'm glad I did. The plot shifts gears once (arguably twice) and I think it improved each time. It had a pretty satisfying conclusion, so I would definitely watch the whole series or else you'll miss some of its best episodes.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

Azazel wrote:Im probably gonna buck the trend here and say I didnt really like it that much, the characters more often than not annoyed me, the constant courage thing to get a new spell quickly became annoying as well.

I guess too many things bugged me about the series for me to like it

/me waits for the abuse to come flying in
Agreed. >< The courage part was just.... cheesy.
Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Post by Deka_Hero »

Things i liked (Spoilers if you haven't finished it yet):

Spoiler
+A Actual Romance between Main Character's, who get married near the end of the series
+Three definable Story Arc's (the Braken Arc, the Meemy Arc and the Infernsia Gods Arc)
+The Bond of Family
+A Father who give's his life, twice, for his children.
+A Free Spirited Pink Ranger who enjoy's life (and is a bit of a Whore, but that is debatable)
+Smokey!

What i hated:

-Mandora-Boy is annoying as hell
-Makito is a little too into farming
-Tusbasa was a little stuck up
-Hikaru look's like Takumi Inui's Gay Brother

So, i really enjoy this series.
Last edited by Deka_Hero on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spooky Tanuki
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Geki or Magiranger
Dreamy: Kurenai Wataru
Favorite Band: WHY?
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Pokemon Cards

Post by Spooky Tanuki »

Magiranger was the first Super Sentai I watched all the way through, and my first TV-Nihon fansub. I really really love the series, and I have nothing but fond memories of it. I watched Magiranger over the course of a summer, and in my memory I associate that show with that summer. Very nostalgic.
Slowly watching through:
Den-O, Kamen Rider W, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Akihabara@DEEP, and Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z
Sora124
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Blade/Kiva/Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O/Magi/Shinken
Dreamy: Eh?
Favorite Band: Sigur Ros
My boom: Muzak

Post by Sora124 »

Deka_Hero wrote:
Spoiler
+A Free Spirited Pink Ranger who enjoy's life (and is a bit of a Whore, but that is debatable)

Correct term would a be a slut. Sluts don't get paid :D
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

I have to reiterate what has been said before. I love Magiranger, it was my first and still my favourite sentai. It was my first through choice, I checked out a website that had a list of every season and that was the one I was most drawn to. There are so many little things that come together to make this such a wonderful season.

First, the characters are top class, I haven't seen another season where the characterization was so developed. You can really feel the connection between them all, theres so much going on other than battles throughout the whole season, its more than just the story of the week. Love is a strong theme in this season and it shows itself in all of its forms. Saying anything else would be spoilers really, but the character development and situations are as strong as you would find in a drama.

A deal breaker for me in sentai seasons are the bad guys, they have to look awesome and feel threatening, and Magiranger doesn't disappoint. The music is also wonderful, really strong, and adds to the drama and excitement of the series. The whole style of the season is really impressive, and hasn't been matched by anything I have seen since, though Shinkenger is looking promising.

I don't know, i could go on and on about my favourite season of sentai, but I wont. Suffice to say I would recommend it so anyone, it is absolutely fantastic and well worth your time.
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
Alkaid
Boyz boyz boyz
Favorite series: Rescue Fire/Double
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o/Magi/Deka
Dreamy: Philip/Shoutarou
My boom: Qsuke!

Post by Alkaid »

Gotta be honest here....this series has been wonderful to watch so far. I'm only a few episodes in so far, but I absolutely love it. The first TV-Nihon shows I've been trying to keep up with were Shinkenger, Magiranger and Megaranger and so far, Magiranger has not disappointed in the least. I'll admit that I'm a bit spoiled so far but I'm trying to keep away from wiki and other sources to keep viewing as fun as possible.

And the songs....the songs are way too addicting! I'm a bit of a voice actress on the side and these songs are way too fun to sing as well.

But yes, back on topic. This show doesn't disappoint at all. Plus, since I haven't seen the English version, I'm pleasantly surprised at every episode and can't watch to watch for more. (3 episodes per Megaupload isn't enough I tell you. XD)
Yuusuke: BLACK RX?
Decade. No... This is... Saban's Masked Rider no Sekai. Alright, let's go.
Natsumi: WHAT? You're not going to help this world's Rider?
Decade: BELIEVE ME, it's better if they all die.

christopherjohn
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
My boom: Prop making

Post by christopherjohn »

Love Magiranger. The cheese overtones really helped the series a lot. It kept it from being to serious. The theme wouldn't play well towards a totally serious season. Yet they knew how to tug at the heartstrings. Gotta say every time they did something with their mom and played her melody I'd produce a man tear. Is it my favorite no. Gekiranger is by far my favorite but Magiranger comes in second. My wife refuses to watch anything else other then Kiva. Its taken me two years to con her into watching Gekiranger and she's only watched three episodes. I was glade I got her into Kiva. Cause really Magi this and Magi that she even named our cat Tsubasa. Have a feeling our next pet is probably gonna be named Wataru or Otoya =/
hotaru91
Infinity
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Blade
Favorite Band: Rider Chips
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: tokusatsu!

Post by hotaru91 »

FINISH THE SERIES! (and you will wish you NEVER watched Mystic Force) lol

magiranger = my first attempt to dwell into the tokusatsu world (hence my first sentai)

but personally, it is the best sentai i know so far due to multiple reasons:

PLOT - *someone* gets killed in earlier
Spoiler
*whisper*ozu miyuki*whisper
.. only to find out that
Spoiler
she was "contained" and wasnt really killed!
and it agreeing with what everyone has to say is this is not your "run-in the-mill-sentai-with-monsters-of-the-week", as much thought and plot development can be seen in this episode.

as a family-themed sentai, love of family prevails undeniably in this series, and its amusing to see them look out for each other throughout the series

勇気(yuuki = courage, the prominent theme in the seires) seems kinda cheesy, but it will indeed grow on you, and a very interesting theme (gain courage to do something, and magic WILL respond to it!)

And BTW, IMO it has one of the bast final episodes in all of the super sentai i've watched

it has the right balance of comedy and action, the best episodes gotta be bout houka/makito
Spoiler
when she is about to get married (seems almost all sentai series has an episode where they will *almost* marry or *will* marry
and kai/houka
Spoiler
they had their bodies switched by Toad XD

CHARACTERS - beautiful cast, Kai=beautiful character growth/development, Tsubasa=cocky + attitude, Urara=mature, thoughtful Houka=cute/happy-go-lucky, Makito=mature(as well), farmer? (lol), hikaru=cute and good looking? XD , smokey!

8 rangers in the series! (with *mostly* different respective elements) gotta love that~

their mecha kicks @$$ dude! 5 mechas=magiking=magidragon (something not seen since time rangers),and two other mechas
Spoiler
magilegend and travelion
and its not "uniformed" sized like many previous sentais, the mecha sizes actually vary! (eg smallest is magifairy, biggest is magitaurus) u gotta love the magic-themed mecha (u get garudas mermaids and
Spoiler
trains and lions to boot!
, as very few mechas from other series can come close to the design/feel of their series. (in this case, magical theme)

also, IMO, one of the coolest henshin cast, henshin animation and roll call! (im the kind of person who likes detailed henshins! bounkenger and go-onger was too short for my liking =/)

OST - IMO best OP in ferever, and EN is EXTREMELY catchy! (u can find how to dance to the EN theme on youtube btw) observe and u can hear multiple renditions of the Opening Theme which fits the entire "magical" theme of the series

LAST WORDS -
hence, honestly (considering this is a sentai show, expect to be kiddy here and there), i find it hard 2 find flaws in this series and RECOMMEND it to ANYONE who wishes to dwell into the world of sentai/tokusatsu!
My album of posing with tokusatsu merchandise! (ie Decadriver, Magiphone, etc..)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... 1355798352

If ur interested, add me there while ur at it.. XD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I'm not sure if you should be telling all that to someone fishing for recommendations to watch the show

Return to “Mahou Sentai MagiRanger”