Where to after Magiranger? (looking for opinions)

A Magical Family
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< DekaRanger | MagiRanger | Boukenger >

Where to go to next?

Dekaranger (after all, you should view the series before Magi too)
36%
Older than Deka (the classics)
7%
Newer than Magi (the new stuff is good too)
43%
Other (if other, please post in the thread so I know what you meant)
14%

Total votes: 14
Alkaid
Boyz boyz boyz
Favorite series: Rescue Fire/Double
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o/Magi/Deka
Dreamy: Philip/Shoutarou
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Qsuke!

Where to after Magiranger? (looking for opinions)

Post by Alkaid »

Basically, Magiranger was my first completed Sentai series and I've been wondering where to head to next. While I'm in the process of downloading Dekaranger (just so I can see the characters and evolution of said-characters from the ones I saw in the Magi vs Deka movie), I was curious if there was a direction that other fans have taken after watching Magiranger.

Should I move backwards and view Dekaranger or perhaps go further back to older series or even forward to the series that followed?

I'm basically just looking for opinions for what series to try out next. Any and all opinions would be great to hear!

(Also, while I'm not opposed to trying out something different like Kamen Rider, I'd like to keep it to the "ranger" series for the moment)
Yuusuke: BLACK RX?
Decade. No... This is... Saban's Masked Rider no Sekai. Alright, let's go.
Natsumi: WHAT? You're not going to help this world's Rider?
Decade: BELIEVE ME, it's better if they all die.

Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Re: Where to after Magiranger? (looking for opinions)

Post by Deka_Hero »

Why did you go to magi first?
Most people whould have started with Deka and worked forward (I did).
Alkaid
Boyz boyz boyz

Post by Alkaid »

Magi, for some reason or another just caught my eye first. Had I known that Deka was before Magi (and completed by the time I started Magi) then I would have started there first.

darkhawk5
Train man
Favorite series: Doragon Bōru
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Raidā
My boom: supa saiyajin!

Post by darkhawk5 »

Well if order doesn't matter to you (and why should it? each year is a stand-alone series) the go for gekiranger the very best of sentai
lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by lostinbrave »

darkhawk5 wrote:Well if order doesn't matter to you (and why should it? each year is a stand-alone series) the go for gekiranger the very best of sentai
That is up for debate, I personaly like Go-onger the best, Geki was to stupid for me. Ok well Jan was too stupid for me.
ImageImage
darkhawk5
Train man
Favorite series: Doragon Bōru
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Raidā
My boom: supa saiyajin!

Post by darkhawk5 »

lostinbrave wrote:
darkhawk5 wrote:Well if order doesn't matter to you (and why should it? each year is a stand-alone series) the go for gekiranger the very best of sentai
That is up for debate, I personaly like Go-onger the best, Geki was to stupid for me. Ok well Jan was too stupid for me.
Waki Waki! :P
Egojivn
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Magi,Geki,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz, Blade, Kabuto
Dreamy: Nai, Mea & Mele!
Favorite Actor?: Hirata Yuka
Favorite Band: Disturbed!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Explosives

Post by Egojivn »

self i watch Magi then Geki (well Magi then some episodes of Deka but never completed it)
And if your not down with that. We've Got Two Words For Ya... SUCK IT!!
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

Magi was my first as well, and am I ever glad of that. Granted, it was the currently running series when I finally figured out how to use TV-Nihon, so there weren't a lot of options, as at that time they hadn't finished Deka either, but Magi was one I desperately wanted to see. I'd recommend Deka afterwards, because it's a really awesome series in its own right. I loved it. But Boukenger or Gekiranger wouldn't hurt you, either. Go-Onger is good if you're into the lighter side of things, but Shinkenger is also fantastic. However, I have to give my best recommendation to Deka, and work your way chronologically from there. It doesn't REALLY matter, but it's fun.
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

I picked Magi as my first series too, it's still my favourite so far.
As for what season to watch next, why not start with
Shinkenger?It's not very far in yet, so you could easily catch up, watch episodes as they are released and discuss them with everyone else on the forums. Join the community! :)

Of course you could still watch another season alongside that if you dont want to wait for new episodes to be released all the time. Of the seasons I have seen since Magi, I enjoyed
Gekiranger the most. Gaoranger is very good too, but is not subbed by TV-N. Skewed Studios do that, I'm not sure what episode they're up to now. I didn't really care for Dekaranger, I'm not really a fan of sentai where they are cops or some kind of organisation. Go-Onger is a fun season, I loved the characters but there is a real lack of plot to the whole thing that puts some people off.
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Out of all of them, Magiranger is probably my favorite, so I'll recommend Gekiranger and Shinkenger, as they're probably closest to Magiranger in spirit. I'm very fond of Hurricanger, but it's hard to find decent subs for that, so you might want to wait. Megaranger is swiftly becoming a favorite as well.
pinchekame
7X
Favorite series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Mele
Favorite Band: Doco

Post by pinchekame »

I have seen the following series in total:

Boukenger
Gekiranger
Go-Onger

I personally LOVE Gekiranger, and watching shinkenger this year gives me fond memories of that 2007 year!

As said above, you certainly can't go wrong...jump into Shinkenger, and watch a previous series along side
Alkaid
Boyz boyz boyz

Post by Alkaid »

Wow...I'm quite amazed at all of the responses so far, thank you everyone for your opinions and help!

Yep, I'm currently watching Shinkenger (though the series for the most part has been much more serious than Magi overall) and I'm starting to grab Deka as well.

So, it seems that there are series that fall into mainly two catagories (from what I've been reading here); the more light-hearted (like Magi and possibly Deka and Go-onger) and the more serious (Shinkenger, Megaranger). I also watch Rescue Force/Fire on the side, and that's definately on the lighter side of things for the most part.

Although, I did have a couple of quick questions on something that's been bothering me... From what I can gather, each "season/series" has between 48-51ish episodes, a stand-alone movie and a team-up movie or two, correct? The team previous to it and the team after it normally have a "vs" movie but Magi only has the previous team-up movie with Deka. Does that normally mean that Magi wasn't considered as "successful" as the previous series to have a second team-up movie or am I just getting my facts confused? (Though, from what I watched...
Spoiler
the Super Sentai 30th edition team-up movie had 2 Magirangers in it, so perhaps that was to offset the fact that they didn't team up with the next team?
)

Anyways, yeah, gotta admit that Magi has been a much loved series for myself and my younger brother (he watched me watch the series and then jumped in to watching it full force around episode 30 or so; then he made me re-watch it from the beginning, which I'll admit was just as much fun at the first time), the songs were addictingly catchy (Bloody Friday Nightmare is a definate standout there, as well as the opening/ending) and even though I did have an idea of what was going to happen (remind me not to check out wikipedia for information, spoilers abound!).

Considering that this was my first step back into Sentai fare since PGSM (and before that, the American versions of the Super Sentai), it's so much nicer to watch it in its normal versions! Expect me to hang around and join the fun of watching and learning about Sentai with you all! :D

harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

Yup that's right, the 30th anniversary movie replaced the second Magi movie, I was bummed Magi didn't get a second team-up movie as well. They were my favourite personalities so it was sad to not get more, especially just when Kai
Spoiler
got that awesome new hair at the end! :P

OH! You know what might be good for you?? You should watch Gaoranger VS Super Sentai. Not only do you get a taste of the Gaorangers (which was a season I enjoyed), but the whole thing is like an extended clip show, from clips of nearly every season of sentai up to 2002! You could use it to see which seasons you would like to watch. It also has a character from way back in the day who is totally awesome, and you have to experience his greatness lol.
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
Alkaid
Boyz boyz boyz

Post by Alkaid »

Oh really? Hmm...I'll have to check that out. I just watched a movie last night a vs. Super Sentai but I don't believe it was Gao. I could be wrong though. (I think it was Bouken?) And yes,
Spoiler
they all did change, ever so slightly at the end, except for Kai with his hair, lol.
That series would have been fun to see an extended epilogue for. Especially since
Spoiler
Tsubasa, Hikaru, Smoky and Meemy all showed back up (along with AkaMagiRed). Poor Urara must have been shocked to see poor Hikaru get trapped somewhere away from her![/spolier]

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I don't really feel too bad about Magi not getting their place in the versus. That's what Inazuma and Inazuma Spark is for

Return to “Mahou Sentai MagiRanger”