Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ratings Poll: GoGo Sentai Boukenger

Post by takenoko »

4. I dunno, upon reflection, I loved this series. The theming was great, I really liked Sakura's strength and Natsuki's cuteness. I was still relatively new to Sentai, so a lot of the past references went over my head, but I think it's great they did it.

Boukenger images
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Ratings Poll: GoGo Sentai Boukenger

Post by Catastrophe »

Love it. This is what got me into Sentai and Rider, because I remember Magenta on a Rockman exe forum going on about it.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

It was a pretty good series, though nothing super special about it. So 4/5.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

xiiliea captured what I was going to say. While I really liked it, it really didn't spike that much for me when I was actually watching it. It just seemed okay after the coolness of Deka and the epicness of Magi. Plus the mecha didn't appeal to me.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

5/5. Not my favorite Sentai but definitely in the "top three" (succeeded only by Gekiranger and Zyuranger). This is what got me into Toku in the first place (and it was an easy jump from this to Kabuto). I remember I had just seen Power Rangers Mystic Force and saw the previews for Operation Overdrive, and I thought to myself "There HAS to be something better than this.....I heard PR comes from a Japanese show; I'll try looking that up." I found TV-N's subs of Boukenger and I was instantly hooked. From opening to ending theme I was enthralled with every episode and I have been a Sentai nut ever since. The show also has my one of my favorite mecha designs in Ultimate Daibouken (surpassed only by Dragon Caesar and coming in just above Engine-Oh G12). I don't mean to get all nostalgic on these polls, but these shows just bring back so many good memories for me, from a simpler time in my life. I guess that's why I still cling to them as ardently as I do....
dualvision1984
7X
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Quote: The meaning of the journey lies within the journey itself - Eijiro Hikari, Kamen Rider Decade
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by dualvision1984 »

I'll give it a 5 for me. I love the treasure hunting part for the Precious. The first in the franchise to have 10 combination Super Mecha. Strong enemies in which their armor is similar to Boukenger (Questers). I really enjoyed watching it.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

1 out of 5. I never really cared for any of the characters, and Akashi is a terrible Red.
Mr. "What? All I did was try to get my teammates killed... for adventure!!" ad nauseum.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

4 out of 5. The overall story was a bit weak and some of the enemies were more miss than hit, but overall it was a solid series. As far as characters go Red and Pink were especially enjoyable, and I can't say enough nice things about the mecha. Ultimate DaiBouken, I feel, is still the best cluster-mech to date; they managed to get everything on there without being completely absurd, visually it looks good, and the fact that it's composed of two 5-piece robos is fun.
kuroblack
Go Go!

Post by kuroblack »

5 for me. This was my first sentai after a long pause. I think the last one had been Liveman.

The story itself was actually very simple, no complicated plot twists whatsoever, but fun to watch. Instead of fighting for justice like every sentai heroes, they started as adventurers. It gave me this nostalgic Indiana Jones vibe. What I like was also the fact they were professionals to begin with, not just heroes "Because Destiny Says So".
GaMa7
Favorite series: Keitai Sousakan 7
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Drawing Comics
Quote: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before".
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gamaseven/?hl=it

Post by GaMa7 »

I was indecisive between 3 and 4 but ended up going for 3. It was one of my first sentai after a pause and after my friend said to me that the theme was adventure I was really thrilled: such a simple and spectacular idea for a sentai, not to mention a commemorative series! So much great ideas but they executed them very poorly in lots of occasions. The adventure theme was pretty scattered in terms of subjects and I would have loved a more archeological approach like the start or some rare episode. The various enemies was a great idea yet the writers really had problems handling them, seemed too much stuff for them. The characters were a mixed bag: I absolutely adored Akashi at the start, a mix of hotblooded and serious, kinda scary for his thrill for danger. It seemed a pretty nice dark side for a leader and I was hoping it was explored more but it took just a couple of episodes due to the continous bland shifting of the spotlinght and the filler episodes. It really bugs me that every character, in a way or another, ended up finding their "treasure" while Akashi's was...adventuring? The show seemed to tease a development for him being just a fiery adventurer and then...nothing. Sakura had some development but as I said it was lost in the mess, her focused episodes were so bizarre like the Glass slipper one. Natsuki was really pretty and...yeah funny sometime and her origin story was pretty bizarre but that's it. Poor Souta really don't get much, it seemed an interesting character. Masumi seemed interesting too: I liked the competition between him and Akashi, at least at the start then it become whiny and predictable. They handled such an idea much better in Shinkenger. The overall design was extremely cool in my opinion while I would have loved the homage to old series much less subtle, they seemed very farfetched most of the time. The mecha design ranged from ok the very nice. I really liked the basic Daibouken (and its them sung by Takayuki Miyauchi) and all its techy details. super wasn't that great but Ultime had such a cohesive feel to it. Very bulky but still room for every piece instead of just haging them on shoulder or on the back like modern combinations. My only issue was probably the Shovel Arm, wich appear very thin and skeletal, throwing off the whole bulky balance. It's a series so dear to me that I teamed up with soem friends int he past to develop a sequel based on the Bouken vs Geki movie, where the new Bouken mechas were more adventure based: two modern one with exploration vehicles of ground, sea, air and space and a stempunkish one composed by a fleet of caravel and a galleona as the main one (just because it looked cool, citing the writer). Too bad it never seen the light due to problems, I really spent a lot of time designing the mecha! I could talk for hours about the series because in the end I loved it but I was really bugged by how much wasted potential it had in it and how sloppy it came up. So, sadly, 3 out of 5 :(
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

I agree with GaMa on several points, as the show seemed to be too much to handle for the writers.

I loved the design of the mechas, but i wish they would have gotten some more backstory.

It gets a 4/5 from me, for being entertaining.

Return to “GoGo Sentai Boukenger”