Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

GranSazers 10 years after

Post by takenoko »

On October 4, 2003, GranSazers started airing. It wasn't the best of shows, but it was something different from Rider and Sentai. Plus it was one of TV-Nihon's first subbed series.

What kind of memories do you have for GranSazers or whatever else was going on at the time?

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/ChouSeiShin_GranSazer
FlyingAceCMX
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Super Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider
Dreamy: Nono Nanami
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Toku/Doctor Who
Quote: "Give me time...and a crayon." -- The Eleventh Doctor

Re: GranSazers 10 years after

Post by FlyingAceCMX »

Wow, how time flies. I hadn't discovered this site yet and had just started my Freshman year of college. It wasn't until two years afterward that I stumbled across TV-N and Kamen Rider Blade--my life has never been the same since.

As for Gransazer, I didn't really watch it or the ChouSeiShin series until recently (all the Rider and Ranger series I had stored up took a LOOONG time to watch). I finally got through everything and started watching GranSazer (probably my favorite of the three) and I was pleasantly surprised, despite the good stuff I had already heard. It's a shame that the ChouSeiShin series didn't get past three series/seasons, but it was good stuff nonetheless.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I guess I should share as well. While in retrospect, GranSazers was my least favorite of the three, it was still one of the first weekly shows that I worked on besides PGSM. And nothing's harder than getting an object moving from a state of non-movement. It was a big learning curve for all of us involved in the team.

I remember this guy named AutomaticZen (a totally rad dude) came in and showed us how to typeset and we went from encoding divx to xvid. Just a bunch of things were going on. It was pretty exciting and new. I bet my translations were pretty crude compared to now, but everyone's got to have a beginning.

I also really loved Impactor Logia. Like why don't we have more cool bad guys in other shows? Like humanoid bad guys who have armor that's up to par with the good guy's costumes.
The_Shang
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by The_Shang »

takenoko wrote:why don't we have more cool bad guys in other shows? Like humanoid bad guys who have armor that's up to par with the good guy's costumes.
Doesn't Kamen Rider do that occasionally? Like, umm, White Wizard? :mrgreen: (the costume and fighting, not the character)

I just recently watched GranSazer (currently reaching the mid-way point of Justiriser) and it was a pretty good show. I kinda wished that they wouldn't constantly jump straight to Daisazer whenever a giant battle occured though. Character development was limited for anyone not Tenma or Mika (and Logia) which was a shame, but with such a huge cast it's pretty hard to do.

The twist at the end
Spoiler
with Bosquito (thanks for the ChouSeiShin, bitches!) and the GranSazer doubting their origins

was really good though.

The final episode felt like the final episode of Wizard. It didn't really add anything and felt a bit rushed.

Overall, I enjoyed the series, though it lost a bit of it's uniqueness when it switched to the MotW format.
DrStrange26
Adventure
Favorite series: Bioman
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: Jasmine Dekayellow
My boom: Sentai, Anime

Post by DrStrange26 »

Gransazer was the first series that I actually followed through Tv-N. It was a pretty decent series but interesting and first at the time it came out with 12 main characters in one season. I liked the soundtrack to the show but preferred Justiriser a bit more to this series.

As for the storyline, it sometimes jumps and get a bit confusing. As for the characters, Tenma was always loud. Favorite character in the show would probably be Naoto-san and Ryouko.

Marika "Jasmine" Reimon(DEKA YELLOW)
JustiFan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by JustiFan »

Ahh those were the days. Not only was Gransazer the show that introduced me to TV-Nihon, it was also the first Japanese toku I properly watched, long before the likes of Sentai or Kamen Rider. I suppose the large robots helped draw me in as a Power Rangers fan but it was quite refreshing to see how differently it handled things compared to PR.

It's been a long time since I last watched it though. I wish it had shown a little more structure throughout; each of the story arcs with the different villains (Karin, Impactors and... umm... the guys who came after them! :P ) were decent by themselves but I don't remember the switch from one to the next being that well connected - it was always quite abrupt. I guess it wasn't necessarily a bad way to do it but it was almost like you had three or four separate "seasons" of a show joined together.

Nevertheless it was certainly enjoyable. For me it was interesting to see twelve different characters all getting involved and, even though I'm sure some got more overall focus than others, I was intrigued by how they all interacted with each other. It was nice to see that the separate Tribes didn't always keep to their own groups and I liked watching members from one Tribe having certain interactions with members from another. It helped drive home the point of having four somewhat distinctive teams who could also come together as a larger ensemble when the situation called for it.

One of these days I will really have to go back and re-watch Gransazer (and the other Chouseishin shows, for that matter.) Ahh so much to do, so little time to do it in! :D
gatoronfire4lord
Infinity
Favorite series: Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Dreamy: Maya (Kiva)
Favorite Band: Avalon

Post by gatoronfire4lord »

Ahh, I have memories of seeing this show I'd never heard of before, deciding to take a chance on it and give it a watch.

What did I think? No idea yet. That was earlier today, and the first batch is almost done downloading.
Kilowog
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: That's a secret :-P
Favorite Actor?: too many
Favorite Band: too many
My boom: OOO
Quote: "Life goes on. If you make struggle with your seriousness you will not feel an uneasiness."

Post by Kilowog »

Unfortunately it's new to me and I have yet to see it :(
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone now, but it was pretty neat when it came out. People who watch toku might recognize Mika's actress, Visual's actress from the Goseiger movie (I think?), the big guy as Rook from Kiva,
novem15er
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
Dreamy: Koyomi
Favorite Actor?: Ray Fujita
Favorite Band: X Japan, SOPHIA
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Imaginary Stories
Quote: "I am... the Oncoming Storm, the Destroyer of Worlds, the Lonely God, the Predator..."

Post by novem15er »

I didn't see this series until it was aired in Cartoon Network in 2005. It's dubbed in English and some of the voice acting felt... unnatural, like how Professor Horiguchi's voice sounded like he was growling all the time. Since then I've seen its reruns and since it's the only Toku that I was able to catch on TV at that time, I got addicted to the show.

I felt very hyped when the Sazer Gorbion first appeared (Yay! His symbol is Scorpio). His suit design looked like a Clone Trooper from Star Wars.

It felt like Naoto/Sazer Tawlon didn't have much screen time like the other Sazers or is it just me because all I can remember clearly is the Impactors story arc?

Me and my friend had a running joke about how Impactor Logia's weapon extends its barrel when Logia pulls the trigger but disregard that, Logia is a cool guy.

I don't do much research about Toku shows at that time so I mistook Tenma Kudou's actor for Ryuji Sainei. Also, I thought Gransazers is a Super Sentai.

"Life Goes On" is the first song of the day in my mp3 player when I go to school.

Sayaka Isoyama/Ran Saotome = first <3

So that's a few of my memories of GranSazers. The actions scenes wasn't as good as the shows from Toei but I had a lot of fun watching this series... and I think I'll watch it again for a nostalgia trip.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

Man it's been so long since I watched this last. All I can really remember really of it was a lot of bad acting. It was amusing to watch don't get me wrong; just not something I felt need to rewatch after all this time. My biggest memory was how Ankh's (ooo) actor looked really ugly in Sazer-x. If I remember other then Gransazers there was Justirisers and Saxzer-x shocked they got 3 seasons out of it. Think I'll have to rewatch Gransazers again.
silver arrow
Gao
Favorite series: Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: All of them :3
Favorite Band: The Black Mages
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: One Piece

Post by silver arrow »

GranSazers will always have a special place in my heart. It was my first Toku show ever way back in 8th grade. Waiting for those weekly releases of Blade and GranSazers in 2004 was the very start of everything for me. They were the first shows I ever followed online. Before that I only watched what happened to be on TV when I turned it on, with DBZ being the only show I actually tuned in for. Without GranSazers, I might not have watched Blade or Kamen Rider, or any toku at all.

I never did watch the other shows in the Seishin series. I should.
Henshin a go go baby!
-Joe

Return to “ChouSeiShin GranSazer”