Why not Garo?

This is the story of a gold wolf furry and his adventure with all his friends
Goty
Adventure
Favorite series: Faiz/Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger/Jetman

Re: Why not Garo?

Post by Goty »

I want to watch more Garo, but i've only seen the first season and it was years ago, i can barely remember anything.

Was there some sort of recap episode before the 2nd series came out?
Linguistic Massacre
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Quote: The loaf that attempts to twist fate is not a loaf at all, but is, in fact, a pretzel.

Post by Linguistic Massacre »

I'm primarily a Kamen Rider fan as far as tokusatsu goes, but I started watching the first season when you guys started releasing the current season. I loved the first season to death, but due to having not enough time I'm only a little bit into Makai Senki... which I am still loving to death. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up soon since Garo is some really awesome stuff.
squashy
Gabu
Dreamy: Koyomi-tan~
Favorite Actor?: Takamasa Suga
Favorite Band: Fall Out Boy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Chokushi no Magan
Quote: I'm full of motivation!

Post by squashy »

Garo first season is probably the best tokusatsu series I've ever watched. It was beautiful, outlandish, brutal, brilliant, heartwarming, and epic.
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!
Joosche
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
My boom: High Fantasy

Post by Joosche »

I like consistency. What makes me stop watching Garo was the inconsistency from one episode to another. Really creepy and bloodish sometimes but really silly and childish also. Don't like this mix.
lio_convoy
Number 6
Number 6

Post by lio_convoy »

In my opinion, anyone who watches Garo and thinks it is boring is not used to watching serials. Most people are used to watching a show that has a start, mid, and a finish that really does not have an affect on the series as a whole. Garo is not really like that. Yeah you have your monsters of the week on the first two years but they also had a back story that took sometime to tell. The first two years I cannot remember Kouga having any real defeats. Where the new Garo has had a few.

I have seen every season and every movie that has been posted for Garo and have really enjoyed them. So much I have been looking forward to Garo more than the latest Sentai series.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Kuchiri wrote:I did a marathon watching of Garo and it's movie literally a week before S2 was announced. I watched every episode of S2 up until the manhole cover episode....I was one of those that saw the screaming head easter egg without having to click the picture that was posted in the thread. I watched the episode following that, but I was freaking out so much trying to see if there was going to be another screaming head that I couldn't keep focused on the sub and so I stopped watching it.
You should give another chance to that episode or even jump it. Nothing relevant happens in it, and, even if there are more scary things coming, nothing as terrifying as the manhole episode.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Honestly the manhole episode is what gave me such an appreciation for the damn things. I always notice manhole covers now, they're actually quite pretty in some cities.
CrimsonRider
Gao
Favorite series: KR Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: KR OOO
Dreamy: Riho Takada...
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
Favorite Band: Rider Chips
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: I would change this world beginning from the core, but God just won't give me it's source code...$)
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by CrimsonRider »

Maaaaan. and I just rememberred how I got "dragged" into Tokusatsu universe...
Back in the says when I was studying at university, I came across the idea to watch the old "Knight Rider" series (if anyone remembers, it's a series about a cop with supercar that has AI put inside... nevermind). I googled "knight rider episode 1"... and what do you think I've encounterred? "Kamen Rider Dragon Knight", at Youtube. Forgetting about the "Knight Rider" stuff, I decided to give it a try. And... during the next 2 days, I've completely watched all the series.
Then I rememberred that during that google search, I've also noticed "Kamen Rider Hibiki" references. Going from english to japanese seemed kind of strange to me back then, although I've watched all seasons of Digimon World a year before that. Anyway, obviously, the next target was Hibiki. :)
And the hurricane began. After Hibiki was Faiz. Right after watching Faiz (with spanish subtitles, I kind of didn't manage to get english-subbed torrent back then), I've seen some compilations of Riders' Henshins on Youtube (favourite ones even up till now are Blade's Riders' Henshins). And when I was searching for some Decade torrents, I've finally come across THIS COMMUNITY. :D
So, for me, I guess, things were different than for majority of people, according to Take's words about the Venn's Diagram. I've started from KR.
I started watching Sentai when Gokaigers aired out, together with OOO. Then I decided to go back and watch completely all Sentai seasons. Not all really took my eye, but in general every season was relly enjoying. And when Goukaigers ended (or maybe I'm wrong with timing, sorry about that), I've seen the post about the first episode of Garo 2 subbed. I've become curious and watched it. After watching aproximately 13th episode I downloaded 1st season and watched it fully, as well as all specials and side-movies, during weekend. :D
Sooo, when Garo YnTM was announced for subbing, obviously I was on board from the start. 1st episode gave me a feeling of something too different from previous 2 series (like the attitude of main character - clearly a HUGE contrast when comparing Ryuga to Kouga), but the more episodes have been out, the more I realized that this difference is actually good in it's own way.

So, in the end, a word for all that have NOT watched any of Garo's series yet - don't hesitate, get it and watch it. If you like Sentai or Kamen Rider - then it's not a possibility, it's a certainity that you'll love it.
Unless you are from the part of audience that "Download 1st episode. Watch it till the moment when bride gets cut and opens her mouth out of 5-6 parts. Stop the video, delete episode and say NEVET AGAIN." (c). :twisted:
gh0stwrit3r
Kamen Knight
My boom: Grounded

Post by gh0stwrit3r »

As a huge fan of horror films and tokusatsu, Garo was right up my alley. The fight scenes, the story, the horror movie feeling, the adult themes, it all adds up to this spectacular eye candy that I loved from the first season. It gave me my grimdark fix that the current show I was watching lacked (Go-onger/Kiva). I went into it blind. Since then I was more open to tokusatsu that isn't part of the SHT block.

My only regret was not watching it sooner.
mika945
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Onore Decaido!!!
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Black
Dreamy: ShinkenPink!
Favorite Band: L'Arc~en~Ciel
Type: INFP Healer

Post by mika945 »

I've already known about Garo about since 2007 because one of my friends talked about it as an adult toku. But after seeing it with j-horror things randomly thrown as an easter egg, I gave up. I'm too sensitive with those kind of thing. Giving me chills especially when it is hidden quite well enough in one screen.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

MarcosPMA wrote: Maybe it's just the fact that it's completely new that makes it less likely for people to watch it. Since American audiences can trace Sentai and Rider back from Power Rangers and Masked Rider, it's a little easier to get into that, whereas Garo would be a completely new thing to watch. It might also have to do with the fact that the Super Sentai and Kamen Rider shows are often pushed together (Super Hero Time), whereas Garo has a different time slot, making it separate from the other 2. I wonder if they ran all 3 shows back to back you'd get more downloads for Garo.

That might help. If a Garo bumper was on SS or KR. At least I see something of it. Where as I have to do research to figure out what is season 1 and the correct order to watch the show. Then dl the stuff.
Orcen
Number 6
Number 6

Post by Orcen »

Well, I finally decided to create an account as I consider this is a great topic to discuss. Garo is actually my favorite tokusatsu series (and it has been since the release of the first series). Unfortunately I'm not enjoying the 3rd season as I enjoyed the 1st or the 2nd, but it's still pretty good anyway.

I'm 31 now and I'm unable to enjoy some current sentai shows as I did when I was younger, Gokaiger was the last super sentai show I finished watching, some day I'll finish go busters, and I don't think I'll be able to watch the current sentai show.

Going back to Garo, I think I watched the first 2 series (and ovas, etc) 3 times each, and the reasons I encourage anyone to watch it are:
Excellent battle coreographies.
Some really good stand alone episodes while progressing to a bigger plot through the seasons.
Excellent secondary characters.
Excellent and well-established mythology.

Although the 1st series might have a slow start and some of the worst acting scenes ever (especially the 1st chap), you'll probably enjoy how well the series gets better and richier.

Last but not the least, I want to thank you for the great work the guys are doing on this page. I'm looking forward to see the last movie as well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

If it helps, I feel like it's worth getting over the horror aspect for the story and characters.

I don't watch any horror stuff, but the scary bits in Garo never bothered me. While really atmospheric, I never really felt like I as the viewer was supposed to be afraid.
Garuda
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Garuda »

Like Orcen, finally I decided to register.

I grew up with Japanese cartoons, KR (ichigo), SS (Goggle V) and a host of others; megaloman, lionman, gaban.

Garo is very different from any of them, but I immediately liked the series in general. I like the twist, the delicate alternative world, the drama, as well as the well choreographed actions.

Maybe Garo is like Star Wars, and the rest is more like Star Trek. I guess it is nice to have alternatives. Another push for me to focus on Garo is that after 555, KR series have become increasingly childish, and merchandise-oriented. They have lost their dark side of KR :).. And Garo filled that hole for me.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

What? Garo is an Horror series? I would never had guessed that. (pun totally intended).

Return to “Garo”