Favorite series: Onore Decaido!!!
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Black
Dreamy: ShinkenPink!
Favorite Band: L'Arc~en~Ciel
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Why not Garo?

Post by mika945 »

takenoko wrote:If it helps, I feel like it's worth getting over the horror aspect for the story and characters.

I don't watch any horror stuff, but the scary bits in Garo never bothered me. While really atmospheric, I never really felt like I as the viewer was supposed to be afraid.
Kuchiri wrote:I did a marathon watching of Garo and it's movie literally a week before S2 was announced. I watched every episode of S2 up until the manhole cover episode....I was one of those that saw the screaming head easter egg without having to click the picture that was posted in the thread. I watched the episode following that, but I was freaking out so much trying to see if there was going to be another screaming head that I couldn't keep focused on the sub and so I stopped watching it.
Is that the episode with that police from KR W? If so, then that was the time when I've actually opened a forum thread about GARO and about to download it. And then there lies THAT picture. That picture is freaking me out and for the next 2 days, I couldn't sleep peacefully hahaha.
dat20091
Go Go!
Quote: "Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns... yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope..."

Post by dat20091 »

I love Garo
at first it's a slow start to watch, because I was remembering I saw it a few weeks back on a facebook page that showed KR & SS stuff
I watch mostly KR but I gave the show a try.
I watched like the first 2 episodes and then forgot about it.
Later I saw more updates and saw Makai Senki on it.
Watched like 2 minutes of Makai Senki and saw that it was the 2nd season, which I then like rushed to watch all of season 1.
I ended up falling in love with it since it was such a good series.
The action, story and character interactions were great.
There's still some iffy parts with Season one that really didn't like fit in, but it was still a wonderful season.
Watched the beast of the midnight sun special and Red Requium and loved them both
Then I went on to season 2 and started watching it as new episodes came out.
I really liked season 2 better and thought it was amazing.
There were times where I wanted to cry like that tree episode, the episode with Rei/Zero and the bakers, and also the episode with the kid flash back.
Even the whole thing with that flash back with Kouga's coat was amazing writing as it was there, even went back to season 1 to see if it was there then, since it was a really out of place item in that jacket, but it was, which made me think that the writing was so great.
That ending to season 2 with Sigma being that 1 person blew my mind.
I never like expected it since it was a while and it made me kinda forget about the whole scene, which I then had to go back to that episode to see if he really died.
But in the end he didn't and like escaped at the last second.
That scene almost made me cried of how beautiful it was, that Kouga noticed while Sigma himself didn't, and it just goes to show how amazing the writing is.
Season 3 starts off slow like the other seasons, but it still picks up, and it's still a great and amazing season :)
Kinda sucks for it to be coming to a close, Hope there's another season soon, and can't wait for Ameyima's new series and the Zero mini series.
scrent
Number 6
Number 6

Post by scrent »

I tried watching it back when it was first released here. But after watching the first eps the main character felt so 'every second spent not killing baddies is wasted time'. I wasn't really in the mood for this type of hero and never came back to second eps... So Yeah. I don't watch garo because I didn't liked that guy with the white coat.
zarthor563
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Alignment: Neutral
Quote: Vincit Omnit Veritas

Post by zarthor563 »

I like Garo a lot. I was around when you were subbing Makai Senki, but at the time I was just getting into sentai, and that was a big enough universe on its own. When you started subbing Yami wo Terasu Mono, I decided to give it a try, and ended up grabbing the first two seasons as well.

That said, I didn't really get into season 1 until about Episode 12, which is when it really kicked off for me. Maybe people just prefer shows where the payoff is faster, but they're missing out on a great series because of it.
Infinity is but an illusion

Darkwings
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Darkwings »

If you're talking about not knowing Garo at all, then in my case it's the other way around:

In my country (Italy) when Garo came out, everyone watching MTV knew about it, even people that didn't like it at all, because it was aired in prime time each tuesday.

In the same time frame other 'alternative' shows aimed at young adults were aired for a good decade (starting in 1998 and 'degrading' to just being a copycat of the US MTV), from anime to foreign non-hollywood movies (I.E.: Cowboy Bebop, Ringu) that you knew no other free channel were going to air, ever, because they weren't mainstream enough and would require too much hassle to get the individual rights for free channels.

Garo simply received a whole lot of visibility unlike other tokus that, if sold at all (dubbed), come directly on DVD.

If you're talking about the third Garo and why people are not watching it... it's different story then.
The difference with the first two series is really big. The people working on it changed and it shows and if you take all the three series you can't really say that they are on the same level about anything. Writing in primis, but the overall maturity thing really fades out.

I already made this same comparison:
People new to Garo that have only seen the third are basically watching a sophistically rendered version of a Kamen Rider + some random boobs.
That's not going to make the same impact of the older series, at all.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Snip, unnecessary quoting, and original post is right above this one

Did they edited in DVD the second season in Italy?
silentstar01
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Sakuta Ryusei
Favorite Actor?: Matsuzaka Tori
Favorite Band: Arashi!!!
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Ryusei/Tomoko

Post by silentstar01 »

For me, I actually got into--really into--tokusatsu because of Garo. and even then it was really by accident (saw Kouga's awesomeness, and then watched the entire series in one sitting). Then I got into Shinkenger, and the rest is history. I was hooked.

I loved the second series, but when news of a third season--sans Kouga and the rest of the crew--were released, I was...disappointed, to say the least. Would it be in bad taste to say that I was not inclined to watch it because of the fact that Kouga and everyone would not be in it? My reason for not watching it would be that despite Yami wo Terasu Mono being a spin-off of the regular series, it doesn't have some of the main reasons why I loved about Garo--namely, the characters. After two seasons, one special, and two--three--movies, I'm very invested in the characters, and hate to see them go.

(Yes, I liked the Horrors--not all of them, of course, when just looking at some of them was enough for me to turn around and run in the opposite direction, screaming on top of my lungs.)

Just my two cents. ^.^ I apologize if this post is irrelevant.
Visit my tumblr.....

http://akinosora01.tumblr.com/

Image "I will decide your fate!"
DarkraiOfDoom
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: TensouSentaiGoseiger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pie
Quote: What is game night?
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DarkraiOfDoom »

the main reason i don't watch garo... well...

i watched one of the movies, cant remember what one, but the main reason i just cant watch garo, is because the CGI is jarring. I just can't stand their cgi, it just looks reaaaally bad.

if their cgi didnt look completely different from anything else on the screen, i might give it a shot, but as of currently, i just can't stand it.
List of KR/SS shows I've watched:

KR: All heisei era series bar Hibiki.

SS: Dekaranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters, Kyouryuuger and Akibaranger (unofficially).

Currently watching: KR Gaim and Tokkuger.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

If it was Red Requiem, then that's a bad example. That movie is pretty much the worst thing Garowise.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

DarkraiOfDoom wrote:the main reason i don't watch garo... well...

i watched one of the movies, cant remember what one, but the main reason i just cant watch garo, is because the CGI is jarring. I just can't stand their cgi, it just looks reaaaally bad.

if their cgi didnt look completely different from anything else on the screen, i might give it a shot, but as of currently, i just can't stand it.
That can be said for the same as Kamen Rider and Super Sentai.
Urukazuto
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Amazon
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Quote: Whatever

Post by Urukazuto »

As For me I like Kamen Rider and Garo (not a fan of sentai). And I found Garo is very interesting to watch as is have "unique" atmosphere and it's mostly have "serious development" story ( in the first garo aka Saejima Kouga). well i liked it better than Present Kamen Rider because from kiva to wizard it's always monotonous in my opinion (2 story arc)

For you want a new refreshment "story" and "action" from tokusatsu I highly Recommended Garo Series. you will not regret for watching it.
fishiwan
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Akibaranger
Dreamy: Daimonji Shun
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by fishiwan »

I watched the first episode of the first series full of hope of an 'adult' toku. I was presented with 22 minutes where relatively little happened and the 'adult' ideal was mostly held up by "look, BOOBS!" The praise I see it getting makes me want to try again but it'll be a while. Between current sentai/rider shows, me catching up on the riders I missed before I started on Fourze and Madan Senki Ryukendo, I'm lucky I keep up at all.
Darkwings
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Darkwings »

Dragonfan wrote:Snip, unnecessary quoting, and original post is right above this one

As far as I know the second season and the movies (and the related specials for obvious reasons) never made it here and I've watched them all as soon as they became available on TV-Nihon.

Talking about quality
OOOKaiser wrote:
DarkraiOfDoom wrote:if their cgi didnt look completely different from anything else on the screen, i might give it a shot, but as of currently, i just can't stand it.
That can be said for the same as Kamen Rider and Super Sentai.
Super Sentai maybe (as I didn't watch them all) but Kamen Rider-wise there are really BAD ones but also good ones too.

Early CGI in Wizard was really bad for instance, but if you check out Kabuto transformations and slowed rain effects (yeah ok special anniversary season = bigger budget) it's practically perfect considering it's not made for a movie.
W wasn't a special season yet it had way better effects (especially fire) than most other seasons.

If we're counting practical effects too, in OOO's there are a couple of hilariously obvious styrofoam 'concrete' walls closeups while the CGI was perfectly acceptable for TV.
It's not always about the money but also about getting the right people.

Anyway the expectations you should have when watching a kids show should be different from an adult show's ones.
Last edited by Darkwings on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Darkwings wrote:
Dragonfan wrote:Snip, unnecessary quoting, and original post is right above this one

As far as I know the second season and the movies (and the related specials for obvious reasons) never made it here and I've watched them all as soon as they became available on TV-Nihon.
That's a pity. Here in Spain is the same, they only released Season 1 and White Night Beast.

Extra: Very epic MAD that I found the other day. See only if you have seen Seasons 1 and 2, White night beast and Kiba Gaiden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMv7v_PdJ9Q
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

For what it's worth, besides the general lack of time, the last non-Toei toku I watched (one of the Sazer series) didn't inspire me with much confidence. Plus the previews have always made Garo look cheap. I mean cheaper than Sentai cheap, to the point where the special effects and live action never seem to mesh.

But I suppose I can watch a couple of full episodes and see if anything pops.

Return to “Garo”