This is the story of a gold wolf furry and his adventure with all his friends
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Favorite season?

Post by MissTokuLover »

I actually have the opposite opinion about Kouga and Kaoru's relationship in Makai Senki, I actually think their relationship became stronger in Makai Senki because they came to understand each other better, Kaoru understood Kouga's duties better and was more supportive of him in Makai Senki. Kouga became a knight of the Senate so of course he became increasingly busy but nevertheless Kaoru was always there supporting him and he still relished his time with her, to me, it seemed he actually became more active in the relationship; willing to take her out to places etc.
In the first season, I think the only reason Kaoru was so intimately involved in every episode was because she was stained by the horrors blood in ep 1, she practically became a horror magnet, so there was that sense of danger surrrounding her practically every minute of the day, so Kouga was pre-occupied with trying to protect her and thinking up ways to try to purify her, so much so that he made it his mission to try to purify her. She needed his protection practically around the clock. In Makai Senki, Kouga didn't have to worry about that, and so Kaoru became this understanding girlfriend who supported her lover in the background, but that didn't make their relationship any less intimate. The couple had more intimate moments in Makai Senki than the first season, and by Makai Senki, Kaoru had become the most important person in Kouga's life.

In the first season, Kaoru just seemed like someone Kouga felt he needed to protect around the clock because she was stained by the horror blood, but in Makai Senki, Kaoru became more like an actual girlfriend to Kouga, that's why I think they became closer in Makai Senki, because they became more like an actual couple...and Kaoru wasn't just someone Kouga felt compelled to protect because he wanted her purified from the horror's blood, she also became his lover and the most important person to him.
Zaruba
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Dragonball
Favorite Band: Metallica
My boom: Garo

Post by Zaruba »

You're right they had a healthy understanding relationship. Maybe I just expected to see her more in the season. There were times where she was awol and you kind of forgot she was apart of the show. You're right though in essence their relationship did grow. Just not in the typical close relationship where he went out of his way to see her everyday. Even Gonza kept urging him to go see her.
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by MissTokuLover »

you're right that Kaoru seemed to have a bigger role in the first season and had alot more screentime, but it was because the main story was very much revolved around her, due to the incident when she was accidentally stained by the horror blood, so she became that entity who was attracting all those horrors that Kouga eventually killed...trying to purify her from the curse of being stained by the horror's blood became a very major part of the main story, as well as her turning into Messiah.
So there's no doubt Kaoru played a much bigger role in the first season.

In Makai Senki however, her role was drastically reduced...even though her relationship with Kouga grew stronger, but in turn she became this supportive girlfriend in the background, who had very little involvement in Kouga's everyday horror hunting duties...while in season 1 she was very much involved in practically every episode.
I understand what you mean, I also wished Kaoru had a bigger role in Makai Senki like she did in season 1...it seemed even Leo had more screen presence than she did in Makai Senki. However Kaoru's presence in Makai Senki was still very significant because she became the most important person to Kouga, so she was like the driving force behind Kouga...even with less screen presence, her role, at least in Kouga's life, was still a very significant role.

And the reason why Kouga went out of his way to see Kaoru everyday in season 1 was only because she was still stained by the horror's blood during that season, so she was constantly in danger in season 1, and since Kouga was so adamant in trying to protect her and save her, it's understandable he made every effort to see her every day, just to make sure she was safe.
But in Makai Senki, she was not in danger anymore, so it was not necessary for them to see each other everyday, and it's not like Kouga didn't want to see her, Kouga did say that they will see each other when they see each other...which means he didn't felt the need to see her every single day, now that she's not in danger anymore. Even couples sometimes need their own space and don't feel the need to see each other every single day...and combined with Kouga's increasing workload in Makai Senki, meant he had less time to spend with her. But even if they didn't see each other as often as they did in season 1, it doesn't change the fact that Kaoru became the most important person in Kouga's life, he took her out to places that were significant to him, was happy whenever she was around, and would risk his own life to protect her etc. Their relationship definitely became more romantically intimate in Makai Senki, we could see just how intimate the couple became, it was depicted especially in the last few episodes.
In season 1, Kaoru was a important person whom Kouga wanted to protect, and by Makai Senki, their relationship eventually grew into a romantic one.
Zaruba
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Zaruba »

Yeah I guess I liked that aspect of season one. Him having to constantly save her. I agree with everything you said so we're in agreement. One aspect of season two that seems better is the fights. They seem more epic and drawn out in this season. Better effects I guess.
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by MissTokuLover »

I understand what you mean, I wish Kaoru was more involved in Makai Senki too, that would be my 1 disappointment with that season.

Also there's 1 thing in Makai Senki I couldn't quite understand is the fact that Sigma was purple who had trained with Kouga for a while when they were kids...if my memory serves me right, wasn't he killed by a horror when it invaded the training camp? And the spirit of his younger form appeared before Kouga along with the spirits of Kouga's other 2 training buddies after the flashback in ep 15, so how could Sigma be purple if he was already dead? Or maybe seeing his 3 training buddies for the last time was just Kouga's hallucination and he didn't know that purple was still alive? It's a bit of a loophole I didn't quite understand.

But other than purple's entity and Kaoru's less screen presence, I love everything else about Makai Senki.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

MissTokuLover wrote:I understand what you mean, I wish Kaoru was more involved in Makai Senki too, that would be my 1 disappointment with that season.

Also there's 1 thing in Makai Senki I couldn't quite understand is the fact that Sigma was purple who had trained with Kouga for a while when they were kids...if my memory serves me right, wasn't he killed by a horror when it invaded the training camp? And the spirit of his younger form appeared before Kouga along with the spirits of Kouga's other 2 training buddies after the flashback in ep 15, so how could Sigma be purple if he was already dead? Or maybe seeing his 3 training buddies for the last time was just Kouga's hallucination and he didn't know that purple was still alive? It's a bit of a loophole I didn't quite understand.

But other than purple's entity and Kaoru's less screen presence, I love everything else about Makai Senki.
What Kouga sees are not the spirits. As far as we know, in Garo's world spirits cannot visit as the please, and be seen by people.

And he is not dead, he teleported at the last second. The Sigma's past subplot is done very subtle, I love it.

In this video is everything explained:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqSHgk7MRnU

A little trivia: The song that sounds at the final scene of Makai Senki, (the one with the "tomodachi ga..." lyrics) is the same melody that Sigma's song, but with a happy tone instead of the evil tone.
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by MissTokuLover »

so it was just Kouga's hallucination when he "saw" his training buddies.

Sorry, I've been watching ALOT of shows since the last time I watched Makai Senki, so there's just certain aspects of the story that are a bit vague in my memory...
Zaruba
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Zaruba »

I've concluded that Kouga was just reminiscing or thinking about them. It wasn't necessarily their true spirits. Sigma was undoubtedly Purple.

Return to “Garo”