Are the dads in Garo bad dads?

This is the story of a gold wolf furry and his adventure with all his friends

Is there something lacking in dads in the Garo series?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Yes, they're not great dads
27%
No, they're fine
54%
Maybe?
19%

Total votes: 26
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Are the dads in Garo bad dads?

Post by takenoko »

This came up in our chat recently. (If you want a chat invite, just PM me) Someone said that they thought the dads in Garo weren't great dads. They're aloof, they don't show emotion, Kouga's totally stoic, Taiga hit Kouga that one time. Does that really make them bad dad material?

Personally, I think that it's fine for dad's to be stern. In a world with literal demons, it'll probably serve the kids better to learn sooner than later that it's harsh out there. No time for coddling! If they want love, that's what moms are for.

Besides, I don't think all types of affection need to be expressed the same way. I think that Taiga very much loved Kouga. And I'm sure Kouga was very warm with Raiga. Plus Kaoru was there to help them both.

What do you guys think?

Also, check out this page we made listing the Makai Knights. If we're missing any, or have the information wrong, let me know and try to include evidence supporting your claim if you can. Thanks!
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/List_of_Makai_Knights
MagusKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: The whole world is insane, we just have to be sane enough to accept it

Re: Are the dads in Garo bad dads?

Post by MagusKaiser »

honestly the way I see it so far from what has been seen here's one way of looking at it, Taiga comes from a long line of makai knights correct so that's a pretty long linage and since I'm guessing previous members of the saejima also held the title of garo which we know is the title for the strongest of all makai knights so it wouldn't be so far as to say that all of the harsh treatment isn't so much bad parenting but more along the lines of tough love to show them that they have to learn to be strong and not be swayed easily by emotions at an early age
KR_FIA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by KR_FIA »

You forgot the dad-and-son Taiga spent with Kouga eating bread just minutes before slaying the vendor horror.

Of course, then there's Raiga wandering into the bell shop by himself, but was it the time when his parents got spirited away?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I was just trying to go for a general summary, some details are inevitably going to be left out.

Was the bell shop the same as the glass maker episode? I feel like that was after his parents disappeared.
hinomars19
Go Go!
Favorite Actor?: Kitagawa keiko
Favorite Band: Koda Kumi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Yui Koike is like a kitten wrapped in cotton wool eating candyfloss. This cannot be disputed. You try, I flip your table (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Post by hinomars19 »

No, they are fine. Tough love in a tough world.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

They are fine to me. A slap means little when at the end of the day they threw their body in front of their child.

Such tough love is what makes Kouga so strong. And it was Rei tough training that made Raiga so awesome.
Leonsagara
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Leonsagara »

I don't think so. From what I remember, Kouga kind of deserved that slap. Gonza is a father figure for both Kouga and Raiga, and he's pretty awesome.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

That situation with Taiga was warranted. It was a typical noob kid move and Kouga needed to learn the harshness of the world they live in. You neglected to mention afterwards how they go home and have a nice meal together, and I think there is also a shot of the two of them eating some kind of street food together as well.

Kouga seems aloof because his dad died and he trained for years to gain the mantle of GARO. We don't see his interaction with Raiga, but I can only assume his upbeat attitude is because he had Kaoru as a mother.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Like a friend and I use to joke about, Kouga would be my ideal father and Raiga my ideal son.

So no, I don't think they are bad dads (nor bad kids either).
Victormaru
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kaoru
Favorite Actor?: Mika Hijii
Favorite Band: m-flo
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: GARO
Quote: In the end, I am Eternal.

Post by Victormaru »

Don't know if we could count Jinga. He seemed to be a pretty humble Makai Knight (or used to be) until the Homura Village burned his son to death which ultimately caused him to go ape-shit and eventually turn into the bad-ass Horror that he is now.
Last edited by Victormaru on Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

But that wouldn't make him a bad dad. This discussion is about whether these guys can raise an emotionally healthy kid or not.
kuroblack
Go Go!

Post by kuroblack »

In Garo universe, makai knights have to be emotionally stable or else they will be easily consumed by horrors. I think makai dads first and foremost are about being the tower of strength as a role model. If he is nice too, then it's just a bonus.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

t depends on what you consider as a good dad and bad dad. And whatever comparison we will make the situation in Garo universe quiet different. Garo has a medieval setting that is placed modern times. They are knights and raising their kids as knights as well. Just like we saw a couple of times if a makai knight is not emotionally stable (and like a jedi who can kill his emotions when necessary) than he fell to horrors and most of the time there is no turning back. Heck before becoming horror Garo armor might went berserk. I think this discussion is pointless since we and people in Garo universe are living completely different environments that making a comparison with our standards or norms is already impossible but we don't know what are norms or standards over there either at most we can make speculations which will produce only hypothesis like -because it is like this probably the result would be like that.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

If they were living a normal life I would consider them bad dads. However they are living in a pretty cruel world in which I am pretty certain it's rare to have a person die of old age. The way it looks most nights bite they dust before 40s and after that your lucky for each year you got. With both parents that's pretty sad and likely the brat will be on its own. Makes me wonder why they get so pissy when their parents get killed by someone, something, some disease, or mix of before. Now thinking about it cannot help but to wonder if those kids who got upset were probably a little to coddled.

Return to “Garo”