Is Garo a profitable franchise?

This is the story of a gold wolf furry and his adventure with all his friends
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Is Garo a profitable franchise?

Post by Dragonfan »

Hello.

Lately I've been eager for information about the new show, Makai Retsuden, because it is about to begin but we know virtually nothing about it.

So, as I was looking for any piece of information, I found a lot of conversations about the Garo franchise, and the fact that Garo is not profitable was like common knowledge, everyone takes it for granted. They say that Garo is Amemiya's vanity project, that almost no benefit is made from it, and that the most rentable part of Garo is pachinko, but the money earned with pachinko is spent in making more shows.

Is there any true on that? I don't know japanese so I can't investigate further, but I find hard to believe that a franchise that has been on TV non-stop for almost 3 years now, with movies, manga, anime and merchandising, is there because Amemiya love's it. At least if every Garo product were relevant in a greater scheme of things I could find it believable, but for example, the franchise would be the same without Tougen no fue (and I liked it, this is not about being good or bad), and Amemiya is not directly involved in most of the projects, so I don't even know if we could brand it as Amemiya's caprice.

So, what do you think/know about this?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Is Garo a profitable franchise?

Post by Phoenix512 »

I think it's probably the same thing with anime in Japan. It's profitable enough to be sustained by the Japanese. Japan is more of a collector's market compared to other places in the world where it's a volume market.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Is Garo a profitable franchise?

Post by Catastrophe »

Most of the series profit comes form the Garo themed panchinko machines.

From what I've gathered, they bring in a ridiculous amount of money and are the reason that we've had a constant stream of shows the last few years.

Return to “Garo”