Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

List of Horrors in GARO (Spoilers)

Post by KickHopper »

A compiled list follows of each Horror that appears in GARO. I'll wait for moderative approval before I list any beyond the current episode, since this is a rerelease and not a first time release, I'm not sure where spoilers stand at this point.
  • Anglay (アングレイ Angurei): Possibly named after the Bisu word for evil spirit or poltergeist. Able to bring artwork to life. Posed as a female nude portrait within a painting until the gallery owner, Taniyama Tasuke, found it and was possessed by it. The monster had a taste for young women, liquifying them into paint for consuming, and targeted Kaoru. Kouga's appearance forced the monster to lockdown the art exhibit with a barrier, leaving those inside unable to escape. In the fight with Kouga, the Horror burst out from its host and manifested itself into a painting, gaining an acidic paint-muck exterior with a frame collar until it regressed to its standard Horror form when Garo killed it. Kaoru was stained by the Horror's blood.
    -
  • Ishtarb (イシュターブ Ishutabu): Possibly named after the Babylonian goddess Ishtar, which may be why it is a female Horror. Emerging from the "Chain Gate", it possessed the body of Kujo Azusa, a con-woman who took advantage of money-minded people using a fake IT company as a front. Using her host's plan, Ishutarb used money to lure her victims to meet her at nighttime. From there, she would ripped them to shreds with chains shooting from Kujo's body and ingest the pieces caught by her chains' links. She was about to kill Kaoru when dumb luck and Kouga stopped her. During the fight Ishtarb altered her host's form into iron maiden-like armored form. Garo killed her in a parking garage.
    -
  • Morax (モラックス Morakkusu): Possibly named after the demon of the same name, an earl in Hell, teacher of Astronomy and other liberal sciences, whose name comes from the Latin word "that which delays or stops" which gives us the time/clock motif. A unique Horror that has no need for a human host, once said to have wiped out an entire village in one night. Possessing a time-piece, altering it into a variety of forms, Morax lures those driven by time to pick him up. Once he has a hold on his victim, by after dusk, it de-hydrates the victim until only dust remains. Forced to use humans as host, Morax took advantage of Kouga's sympathy for humans to escape. Once he captures Kaoru, Morax assumed the form of a clock tower. Though he was armed with arsenal of bladed arms, Morax was killed finally by Garo, ripped out of his vessel as it crumbles to the ground.
    -
  • Pazuzu (パズズ Pazuzu): Named after the winged demon Pazuzu, master of plague winds. A Horror that first appeared around the time Taiga was alive. He took over the body of Tategami Ryoichi, making him a miracle worker of a surgeon. However, it is so that Pazuzu can kill the patients in their happiest moment to drain them of their euphoria-enriched blood for nourishment with the scalpel-bladed tendrils from the back of his head while leaving the remains for his Horror minions. To ensure he would eat without interference, he erected a barrier to put any Makai Knight at a disadvantage. Kouga had trouble until he used Kaoru to remove the seals that power the barrier. Upon Pazuzu's last moments, he pleas to devour Kaoru as his last meal. Utterly repulsed by this idea, Garo delivered the final blow, thus ending his reign of terror.
    -
  • Lunarkin (ルナーケン Runaken): The name literally means "of the moon". A moth demon, possessing a woman who tried to commit suicide as the result of a man's insensitivity. She remained dormant in her zombified host until the full moon, when her bloodlust is at its zenith. During the fight, Zaruba realized the host is nothing more than a puppet composed of moths. The actual Lunarkin is the orb like weapon (or moon as Zaruba describes) the puppet uses in its attacks.
    -
  • Utokku (ウトック Utokku): Named after Utukku, an Akkadian servant of the underworld. A corpse-like Horror that appeared in a graveyard and possessed the body of a middle-aged prostitute Himigawa Kotomi, making her young again and giving her a beautiful body. In return, Kotomi used her beauty to lure men for the Horror to devour using the eyes as a medium to suck the life out of the victim's body before shattering the body. In battle, she could launch tombstones to attack and ride on. Once Utokku is killed by Garo, Kotomi soon was fatally wounded, begging for help. But as Garo stated, she is already dead because she allowed the Horror to possess her in the first place as her body disintegrated.
    -
  • Moloch (モロク Moroku): Named after a demon and false god known for taking the children of adoring mothers as sacrifices. A Horror attracted to the sadness of Kamisugawa Miri, a woman who killed six young men and collected their fingers after her pianist boyfriend committed suicide for being robbed of his dream. The Horror raped/possessed her, using her intent to kill the remaining four for their fingers while eating the rest. In its true-form, Moloch's body is two-toned (flaming on the left, icy on the right) with control over the elements of fire and ice, launching its hands to attack its enemies or kill its victims. Garo killed Moloch, with only the ring Miri had from her boyfriend remaining. Later the father of Miri, Kamisugawa Yuki obtained the ring, along with the Horror's essence dagger and special bullets forged from other purified blades. Intent on revenge for his daughter, Yuki used the bullets to create a pack of Horrors to help him kill Kouga. But after they were all killed, and he was denied death, Yuki stabbed himself with Moloch's essence dagger and became Moloch's new host. However, Yuki felt the pain that his daughter suffered and had Garo end his misery before the demon fully consumed him.
    -
  • Humpty (ハンプティ Hanputi): A Horror that manifested from construction rubble to become a giant with a strong armored body that seems invulnerable to Garo's sword. Able to revert to an eggshell-like state to protect itself, as well as launch explosives from its chest. Garo managed to kill him with the aid of the Makai Horse, Gouten.
    -
  • Asmodai (アスモディ Asumodi): Named after a demon and governor of Hell, known for manipulating the lustful nature of humans. A clown-like Horror who possessed the body of a pierrot. Using his red clown nose and his sentient hand-puppets, Asmodai forces his victims to show their "true nature", who turn violent and kill each other. Once they are dead, he turns them into beach balls to ingest. He is giant-sized in his true form, using his arms for locomotion. He attempted to take control of Kouga in a similar fashion as his victims, but was killed when Zero lopped off his red nose.
    -
  • Dantalion (ダンタリアン Dantarian): Named after a Jinn (Genie) who is also a duke of Hell. A neon-green, Jinn-like Horror who possessed a con artist gambler named Kunugi Reijiro. Dantalion tricked people to play a fixed coin game and after they lost, sealed their souls inside a coin. After he takes Kaoru, he brought Kouga into his alternate realm with three games of chance to save Kaoru's soul. After the third, Dantalion assumed his true form out of rage, lowering himself to physical combat. After being defeated by Garo, the Horror set up a final challenge for Kouga upon his death that Kouga managed to succeed.
    -
  • Noul (ノウル Noru): A Horror that appeared during Taiga's time as Garo. Possessing the body of an old toymaker, he gave young Kouga a toy and later used him as a shield against Taiga, but Taiga mortally wounded the host, forcing the Horror to tear itself out. Resembling a reddish version of a standard Horror, being slightly stronger as well. It was from that ordeal that Kouga understood the treacherous nature of a Horror.
    -
  • Vuel (ヴエル Vueru): A Horror that possessed a train car.
    -
  • Gargoyle (ガーゴイル Gagoiru): A Horror that took the body of Kuramachi Kouhei, a sculptor who sold his soul to the "devil" to possess the "Hands of God" to create the ideal sculpture. Using his "gift", Kuramachi created voodoo sculptures to torture young female models to death before sucking them down face first. He attempted to kill Kaoru when she hoped to learn more of her father through him, as she thought Kuramachi had met her father. However, she found out Kouhei actually never met Mitsuki Yuji and was only inspired by his work. Gargoyle was killed by Zero, with a dying Kuramachi in awe of finally finding his "ideal model" just before Zero killed him.
    -
  • Haru (ハル Haru): A Horror that possessed a fish. She used a shut-in programmer named Tonuma Mitsuru, whom she befriended to get her prey, killing women dumped into her tank and taking their attributes to become more human so as to move about on land. Tonuma was about to feed Kaoru to Haru as the final victim when Kouga arrived and exposed Haru, killing the weakened monster, much to Tonuma's dismay. Though tempted to kill Tonuma, Kouga managed to control his anger and only knocked him unconscious. Haru's final words, how Kouga used Kaoru to get to her, caused a rift between Kaoru and Kouga. (The only reasoning I've found for the name Haru is a chain of sushi restaurants)
    -
  • 12-piece Fusion Giant Horror (12体融合巨大ホラー Junitai Yugo Kyodai Hora): A Horror born from the twelve purified blades containing the invading Horrors Kouga and Rei defeated. Much larger than others, Garo and ZERO were unable to defeat it. In the end, the monster was killed/absorbed by Barago.
    -
  • Bonafaltz (ボナファルツ Bonafarutsu): A skeleton gunman, created from Tochino, a security guard for a museum owned by Kamisugawa Yuki, using one of the special bullets made from Horror essences provided by the Watchdogs, in his attempt to avenge his daughter's death on Kouga.
    -
  • Messiah (メシア Meshia): Also known as "Messiah: The Ultimate Horror" and "Messiah: The Mother Of Horrors". The originator of all Horrors who has existed since the beginning of the conflict between Makai Knights and Horrors. Messiah is the most unusual Horror because she's the only Horror that appears almost perfectly human in form, resembling a giant half-naked woman with long-clawed fingers and unique jewelry and tattoos around her head and shoulders. Her back contains a Taoist round disc.
    Messiah longed to enter the human realm, but despite all her powers she couldn't cross through without a large source of energy. Somehow she led the Makai world to assume that absorbing Horrors will make them stronger, knowing there would be a person(s) desiring power badly enough to find her to become all powerful. Barago at first thought Messiah would be his final Horror to absorb, but ironically, she absorbed him using Kaoru's body as a gate medium upon being awakened. Her plans to reach the human world were foiled by Kouga, who entered the demonic world and defeated her with spiritual help from Kaoru while Messiah was overconfident with her powers, running his sword into her head and releasing Kiba in the process as Messiah is forced back into her dorminant state.
    Her powers include ultra-human strength, high combat capabilities, magical shielding, magical energy attacks, and flight. She is able to create Horrors by merely touching the ground she walks upon.
Last edited by takenoko on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added a spoiler tag to the subject
ImageImage
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: List of Horrors in GARO

Post by takenoko »

I'd say go ahead. I actually asked you for a list before but I guess you didn't see my response to your post

I actually spelled it Lunarkin at one point in the subs, but changed it to match the Japanese pronunciation. What is it, German?
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7

Post by KickHopper »

I'd have to recheck my etymology book. Probably in my copy of the Oxford English Dictionary.

Edit: It's Middle English. Lunar, meaning "resembling or of the moon". Kin, meaning relative. So actually it would be "relative of the moon" or "family of the moon". The term Lunar further comes from the Latin word Luna, meaning moon. The term Kin comes from the Old English word Cynn, which stems from the German word Chunni which means Race.
ImageImage
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Wouldn't Asmodeus be closer to the Japanese pronunciation? I actually have no idea as to how Asmodai is pronounced though
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmodeus
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7

Re: List of Horrors in GARO (Spoilers)

Post by KickHopper »

Without them adding the attempt at "-eus" at the end, I could only figure they were going for the alternative "Asmodai"
Asmodeus would probably be pronounced as "Asumodeiusu" or something similar.
ImageImage
Zaruba
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Dragonball
Favorite Band: Metallica
My boom: Garo

Re: List of Horrors in GARO (Spoilers)

Post by Zaruba »

This is awesome! Thank you for this even if it was like 5 years ago. I wish I was here when it first came out. If you're still here can you do the rest of the horrors in the newer productions and season?

Return to “Garo”