New law penalize downloading!

Ask all tech support and help questions for downloading here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
If you're using Peerblock, you'll need to add our IP to the exception list when torrenting.

We don't ban IPs, so if you're having trouble yet see other people downloading okay, it's probably on your end.
celox
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: BoukenPink
Favorite Band: Alice Nine
My boom: Kamen Rider Decade

New law penalize downloading!

Post by celox »

Hello, Tv-Nihon! This is my first post on this forum but I have been watching your subs since Magiranger :)

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this but it's about downloads. You see, here in Sweden, the government have just added a new law that will heavily penalize those who download something which is copyrighted. I know that it's illegal to download but this time, they mean business.

The thing is, copyright holders and law enforcement officials can request personal information about copyright infringement suspects. That means, Industry trade groups will be supervising all the internet traffic from Sweden and if they see heavy activity from someone, they'll get to them. They have already done this with some individuals, although the outcome is yet to be seen. But they are practically suing private persons for 10.000 or more worths of $ for loss in incomes.

I'm not sure about the rules, but I don't understand how they can penalize people even if the Industry isn't the original copyright holders of something. This law started April 1st (no april's fool joke) and it's called IPRED. Some say this is just a scare tactic from the government and they keep downloading anyway. But I'll be cautious about this for a while. :?

There have been massive objections here in Sweden and the people are comparing this with a "Big Brother"-mentality because we're being watched. There are a lot of people who are finding ways to counter this law. There's a program that will make your IP-number invisible but it's only in the beta stage for now.

But my question about all this is: do you know a way where I can be able to watch your shows without worrying that I may be caught? I don't like to watch these shows on youtube, veoh or any streaming site. Almost anything I download is j-drama and tokusatsu-related and I feel that I may actually be "trapped" to the things they show here in Sweden. I won't be able to take part of the shows from Japan, of which I like. Sure, I could buy the dvd:s but I'd have to wait a long time to be able to buy the DVDs from the shows. And those DVDs don't have your subs. I like your subs. The staff does a phenomenal job.

Anyway, sorry for this long post and any grammatical errors that may have occured but I feel frustrated. If there's someone who can shine a light about this, I'd appreciate it and would be somewhat reliefed. :D
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: New law penalize downloading!

Post by takenoko »

>But they are practically suing private persons for 10.000 or more worths of $ for loss in incomes.

Sounds kind of like in the US when the RIAA sued people like little kids or single moms for downloading mp3's. All it really did was make them look like overblown assholes

>I'm not sure about the rules, but I don't understand how they can penalize people even if the Industry isn't the original copyright holders of something.

Are they representing the copyright holders?

>There have been massive objections here in Sweden and the people are comparing this with a "Big Brother"-mentality because we're being watched.

I don't know about that. First, it seems like people are naive to think that they're identities are anonymous just because they're on the Internet. Second, it seems silly to say Big Brother is watching just because the enforcers are gathering data to catch people who break the law. That's kind of what their job is, even if the law is one you don't agree with or find unreasonable

>There are a lot of people who are finding ways to counter this law. There's a program that will make your IP-number invisible but it's only in the beta stage for now.

I don't know if I think that creating software to skirt authorities is the action to take. Use the legal powers to change laws that you think are wrongful, or move to a place where the laws better reflect your ideology

>But my question about all this is: do you know a way where I can be able to watch your shows without worrying that I may be caught?

Well, how are they watching you? If you're torrenting your IP is probably visible. If you're using direct download, the companies running it will have your address. Make a smart estimate of where you think they'll be watching and see if you get caught. If you go to jail, do please write again and let us know what it's like
Honoo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Honoo »

I don't know how sweden laws are, but here in Italy is legal to have a copy of anything that is visible on public tv. Since TV-Asahi is a public tv in Japan, is perfectly legal for me to download TVN subs.
Try to check if laws in Sweden are similar. Just in case they are not bluffing...
ImageImageImageImage
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO

Post by harpdevil »

I have a feeling I might have heard somewhere that it's legal to download episodes and music and things so long as you delete it within 24 hours. Has anyone else heard that that can confirm?
Also not sure if this will do the job, but Hotspot Shield will keep your connection anonymous so it might keep them from being able to see your download habits.
http://www.hotspotshield.com/
I use it to connect to Hulu, which is not available outside the US. I assume that it hides my IP, or gives me a new one, and allows me to access what was region restricted.
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>I have a feeling I might have heard somewhere that it's legal to download episodes and music and things so long as you delete it within 24 hours. Has anyone else heard that that can confirm?

That sounds kind of phony, like the "you can download this rom for your emulator if you delete it in 24 hours" kind of thing. Just a flimsy justification to make people feel better about breaking the law
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO

Post by harpdevil »

Ohh actually the emulator thing might be where I heard it, I did try to get into that kind of thing a couple of years ago with no success.
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
Egojivn
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Magi,Geki,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz, Blade, Kabuto
Dreamy: Nai, Mea & Mele!
Favorite Actor?: Hirata Yuka
Favorite Band: Disturbed!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Explosives

Post by Egojivn »

All my friend's say it's is just for uploading and mostly just movies and mp3's (not tv shows) and things that is licensd in sweden(tho i dont trust them that mutch ^^)
And if your not down with that. We've Got Two Words For Ya... SUCK IT!!
celox
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Garo
Dreamy: BoukenPink
Favorite Band: Alice Nine
My boom: Kamen Rider Decade

Post by celox »

> Sounds kind of like in the US when the RIAA sued people like little kids or single moms for downloading mp3's. All it really did was make them look like overblown assholes
Yeah, the people who are against this law believe that this law only will affect those who doesn't download that much and doesn't know so much about internet security. The people who actually are downloading a lot and those who are uploading stuff will do anything to protect themselves and will be harder to detect.
> Are they representing the copyright holders?
I'm not sure. But according to a friend I've talked to who knows more about this, it's the swedish and american copyright holders that will be mostly represented. If I download something from asia and the original copyright holder haven't demanded to see who has downloaded their things, it'll be hard to penalize me. It's mostly the people who uploads files that are in the danger zone. But if anything from asia is licensed here, then I may worry.
> I don't know about that. First, it seems like people are naive to think that they're identities are anonymous just because they're on the Internet. Second, it seems silly to say Big Brother is watching just because the enforcers are gathering data to catch people who break the law. That's kind of what their job is, even if the law is one you don't agree with or find unreasonable
There's a lot talk about human rights here and that people have the right to do anything without being watched. The thing that's been most upsetting is that not even the police here has the right to monitor you without a warrant of some kind but the Industri doesn't even need that. They can just create a fake screenshot with my IP-number and that will be enough for them to get me convicted.
> I don't know if I think that creating software to skirt authorities is the action to take. Use the legal powers to change laws that you think are wrongful, or move to a place where the laws better reflect your ideology
All these demonstrations against the law has been futile. The government still won't listen. They accepted this law without letting the people say anything about it or even letting the people vote about it. This law isn't mandatory, but the government says it's because of the European Union rules that they established this. This software thing is just a way to show them that we will not tolerate this law.
> Well, how are they watching you? If you're torrenting your IP is probably visible. If you're using direct download, the companies running it will have your address. Make a smart estimate of where you think they'll be watching and see if you get caught. If you go to jail, do please write again and let us know what it's like
I don't know how they'll be watching me. They won't say. But I've read in the news paper today that since this law was established 2 days ago, the internet traffic went down by 30%. That will make it easier for them to detect IP-numbers. :shock:
harpdevil wrote:
Also not sure if this will do the job, but Hotspot Shield will keep your connection anonymous so it might keep them from being able to see your download habits.
Thank you for this tip. I think I've actually tested a software like that but it didn't work so well. But I'll see if this can help.

Return to “Downloads & Site Help”