Downloading Onto A Mac

Ask all tech support and help questions for downloading here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
If you're using Peerblock, you'll need to add our IP to the exception list when torrenting.

We don't ban IPs, so if you're having trouble yet see other people downloading okay, it's probably on your end.
masterroshi
Number 6
Number 6
Quote: The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

Downloading Onto A Mac

Post by masterroshi »

Hi guys! I was wondering how to play the files on a Mac computer? I downloaded both WMV Player and uTorrent, but nothing seems to work other than the files appearing on uTorrent. Help is much appreciated!
remolay
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Wizard's Costume
Favorite Actor?: Simon Pegg
Favorite Band: Queen
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Babylon 5
Quote: There's a hole in my neighborhood down which of late I cannot help but fall.
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Downloading Onto A Mac

Post by remolay »

There is a video play called Video Lan Client, or VLC. There isn't much it can't play. I end up using it more than Quicktime at this place. If it's the actual downloading you have a problem with, probably try using a direct download. Sorry If neither of these answer your question. I am inexperienced with torrents, but slightly more experienced with weird video formats.
Well I guess I'm not a pirate anymore now that img limits exist.

Help I can't help finding every yellow ranger cute
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

Well you're on the right track with uTorrent. What you do with that is you download torrent files from the tracker page with your internet browser, then you open them up in uTorrent to start downloading the actual episode. It'll ask you where you want to save the file, so direct it to wherever you'd like to save it. A torrent is a peer-to-peer download that is directly affected by how many other people are sharing the file. You are connected to both people with the complete file (seeds) and people that are also still downloading like yourself (leechers). These are collectively known as your peers. The more seeds, or the more leechers that have gotten the patch of data you're currently trying to download, the faster your download will go. Once your torrent completes, let it run for a while. You're now a seed and you're helping other people who started downloading after you.

While you're seeding, you can go ahead and watch the episode. First, though, you need the right media player. I personally recommend Mplayer OS X Extended (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28298/ ... x-extended). In my experience, this is the best universal media player for computers running Macinstosh OS X. So download and install that program, then pull up Finder and direct it to where you saved whatever file you were trying to download. Control+Click it and direct that filetype to open with Mplayer OS X Extended by default. Then close out of that menu, double-click on the video file, and enjoy the show.

An alternative to torrents, if you're so inclined, is Direct Downloads, which you can find in the subforum of the same name on these boards. These are peer-hosted copies of the files that you can download directly to your hard drive without going through a torrent client. So when you click on an episode link in a topic in the DDL forum, it'll take you to a host page on Megaupload or Sendspace or Mediafire or some other host. You'll have to enter a captcha and then wait several seconds for your download link to unlock, then you click on the download link that appears and the file will start downloading to the Downloads file on your computer. When it's done you can move it somewhere else at your whim. When the file is completely downloaded, follow the instructions in the middle paragraph to watch your show.

I hope that helps, but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them.
masterroshi
Number 6
Number 6

Post by masterroshi »

remolay wrote:There is a video play called Video Lan Client, or VLC. There isn't much it can't play. I end up using it more than Quicktime at this place. If it's the actual downloading you have a problem with, probably try using a direct download. Sorry If neither of these answer your question. I am inexperienced with torrents, but slightly more experienced with weird video formats.
Thank you. I tried it, and while is worked with Kamen Rider OOO 21SD, it will not play Dekaranger 39-50. Is it a torrent problem?
That Guy
Save the life

Post by That Guy »

Please read my post above to make sure you're doing torrents right, and if that still doesn't work, try using the player I suggested.
markoclix
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger

Post by markoclix »

I have a Mac and I use Transmission to download the torrents and I use a plugin called Perian (which can downloaded at perian.org) It works great and it opens everything up right in QT. That Guy seemed to give a pretty good summary of how torrenting works. As far as the Dekaranger problem were you opening it with VLC? Sometimes Macs like to try opening things with the "wrong" program. Perian opens about 90% of the vids I dl from TVN and the other 10% can be opened using VLC. Hope this helps and good luck!
masterroshi
Number 6
Number 6

Post by masterroshi »

That Guy wrote:Please read my post above to make sure you're doing torrents right, and if that still doesn't work, try using the player I suggested.
I apologize, but none of that worked.

I have successfully gotten a folder of the first 12 Shinkenger episodes, but when downloading the next set, it just gives me one unworking file. How do I get to the single files?
That Guy
Save the life

Post by That Guy »

Hmm. It sounds like what you have have is the torrent file. What is the file named? If it's [T-N]Samurai_Sentai_Shinkenger.torrent, and it's the file you downloaded from this page, then that's a torrent file and you need to open it in uTorrent to download the episodes. To do that, double-click on that file and it should open uTorrent automatically. A popup will come up that will allow you to direct the program to the location on your computer that you want to save the episodes to, so navigate your way there, hit OK, and the download should begin. I should warn you: Torrents (especially older ones) take a while, from a few hours to a few days, depending on how much data you're trying to get. So this isn't going to complete instantly.

Alternatively, if it's simpler, you can just download the individual episodes directly to your hard drive from the links here.

Return to “Downloads & Site Help”