Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ratings Poll: Ultraman Nexus

Post by takenoko »

What'd you think? 5. Just so good. I love the grittiness. Good characters. Himeya is an amazing hero. The first part was dark, but fitting.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Ratings Poll: Ultraman Nexus

Post by xiiliea »

6/5 :D None of any series I watched have even come any close to this in terms of story. The effects are also top-notched, only beaten by Mebius. The music is also insanely good. If you check out the soundtrack, hardly any of the pieces are boring to listen to! This is the only full series (more than 35 episodes) that can keep me wanting to watch the next episode after the next. The epicness just doesn't stop, it just keeps going on.
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DekaBreak »

Agreed, 6/5! Nexus was a great attempt at making a dark Ultra Series, something not done before it since Ultraseven. Sure, there was a change to lightheartedness in the Ren saga, but by the end Ren makes sacrifices just as Himeya does. And the Himeya arc with all its gritty plots - beautiful. It's great to have had the flowing story fit so tightly in a way even Gaia didn't. Too bad it did terribly for a Saturday show in its day, but hey, this isn't exactly a kid's show - it's an adult Ultra series
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Amazing show. Pity it was truncated where it was. Main character was fantastic, loved that the everyman guy who was the audience's POV turned out to be made of steel and probably the best person on the entire show. (Avoiding spoilllllers but you probably get what I'm talking about if you've seen it.)
dualvision1984
7X
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Quote: The meaning of the journey lies within the journey itself - Eijiro Hikari, Kamen Rider Decade
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by dualvision1984 »

I also agree with the others, 6 out of 5 if we can have it voted that way. This is the first Ultra series that the adult fans of the Ultra franchise are target of the series. The series is so dark that it was moved to around midnight or 1am Japan Standard Time since the rating is a low compared to other Ultra series. The story is excellent. I love the pacing of the story even though it was cut short but still they provide some conclusion in the end. I love the idea of being Ultraman Nexus can be passed on to different Dunamist/Deunamist in order to evolve to Ultraman Noa, the legendary Ultraman. Hands down while kneeling for me with this show :mrgreen:
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Great show. Really enjoyed it. OP was nice.

One thing I disliked was the way the handled the changing of the Ultraman. Not so much the fact that they did it, but the 2nd Ultraman was kind of lame on account of being some genetic supersoldier with a deficiency. The first one had a much better story.
Sentai_ZXR7
Infinity
Quote: Ready for the Next Challenge

Post by Sentai_ZXR7 »

Ultraman Nexus is a brillant series, I would never tire to watch and rewatch this series.
A director cut version was available a before, with a condensed story from the series, from start to end.
I like Jun Himeya character, the plot line was very solid as well.
The company killed-off the show when nobody watched it, the other issues were the lack of merchandise as this was an adult oriented show.
The other shows prior and after nexus feature a monster of the day or week.
There are some showa era shows that have not been translated, Ultraman Jack or most preferrable Return of Ultraman, I watched it when I was a boy; Ultraman Ace, Ultraman Taro, Ultraman 80, just to name a few.
Overall I would rate this show 10 out of 10.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Finished the series about a month ago; quite possibly the best show I've seen. I also liked the Himeya arc/character; one thing I enjoyed was the smaller stakes in most of his era--where the more recent Ultra Series iterations focused on saving the world/universe/multiverse, it's shown as early as episode 2 that Himeya would put even two strangers' lives as a first priority. I wasn't thrilled with the beginning of the second Deunamist's era because of the larger stakes and apparently lighter tone, but the rest was great and the ending, while rushed, was wonderful. Apart from the CGI, everything from the music to the acting was glorious. My only regret is that we only got 37 episodes instead of the planned 50; I wish they'd do a similar series with the schedulers putting it at a time adults could watch it (such as with UltraSeven X).
I agree with the others--6/5.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
GaMa7
Favorite series: Keitai Sousakan 7
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Drawing Comics
Quote: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before".
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gamaseven/?hl=it

Post by GaMa7 »

I agree on the 6/5! Nexus is just that good: so good and well written that it was able to deliver a coherent finale even being cut short. The Himeya arc was amazing: so dark, so painful yet heroic. The next hero really needed a change of pace to stand up against such a story and I think Ren delivered it, gicing a total facelift to the Ultra look and tone of the story. Just a different kind of darkness. I really, REALLY wated to see something about the missing arc and Nagi's evolution. too bad but, anyway, we are treated to a magnificent finale and a final transformation that it's really worth the wait. Komon really evolved through the show, having such heroes as inspirations and then becoming one himself in his own manner. I really loved how the actor delivered his final line and then the eye of the children. A parallel, a great way to end such an amazing adventure. Then cut to a montage with the incredible "Eiyū" as soundtrack. Yeah,even the soundtrack aced on this show. Epic, absolutely epic!
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

I like the very first half (Himeya arc) about the dark plots, anything about the Dark Raiders, Space Beasts and etc.

It's not just about the bonds, but love and peace (and whatever). I liked much about Himeya Jun. Like what takenoko said, he's an amazing hero... and with sacrifice.

All of OP and ED themes, I liked them a lot. (Some day I'll download these songs.)

Well I really enjoy the series but... EPICNESS DON'T STOP. I GIVE A 7/5! (same thing with hearty hearty gokai)
Sentai_ZXR7 wrote:I would never tire to watch and rewatch this series.
You can say that again and again. xD

Edit: Oh! The final episode was way too good even though Nexus becomes...
Spoiler
Ultraman Noa

imprialdrz
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Garo

Post by imprialdrz »

Its quite promising story in early episodes, but then it become much worse, like what happen to Komon girlfriend, how Himeya become ultraman (is it dream or reality not quite clear), the alternate dimension (it is still not clear if, like Nagi says, it give Nexus advantage, like dark ultra, or not) and few members of fighting team. The base design is good, except that orange box where the plane come out (not sure why they need to put their fighter jet in there). The monsters design are terrible, and none of it worth remembering. give it 1/5 (if you watch ultraman Gaia (the best I ever watch), you will agree that Nexus is not even near it)
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Sorry... terrible monster design?
ImageI beg to differ on the "non-memorable" issue.

So, why did you rate it 1/5? I found Komon's girlfriend being a puppet made to toy with his mind quite interesting, and for some of it Himeya himself doesn't know which world is real. Also: Nexus summons the Meta-Field (alternate dimension) to protect others from harm. Ultraman isn't a dream, but the show is purposefully confusing because of the mind games of Mizorogi, the Kaiju, and even...
Spoiler
the organization itself.

I think what's going on is that you haven't seen enough of the show for them to explain what you're bringing up. I'm not sure you've seen anything past Episode 12 or 13 based on your questions, so if you give it another shot, I can guarantee the show will explain a lot of confusing things you had questions about.

I've seen the whole series and I'd like to say that Nexus is arguably the best show ever made.
Watching:

Watched:
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
imprialdrz
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by imprialdrz »

Mxylv wrote:Sorry... terrible monster design?
ImageI beg to differ on the "non-memorable" issue.

So, why did you rate it 1/5? I found Komon's girlfriend being a puppet made to toy with his mind quite interesting, and for some of it Himeya himself doesn't know which world is real. Also: Nexus summons the Meta-Field (alternate dimension) to protect others from harm. Ultraman isn't a dream, but the show is purposefully confusing because of the mind games of Mizorogi, the Kaiju, and even...
Spoiler
the organization itself.

I think what's going on is that you haven't seen enough of the show for them to explain what you're bringing up. I'm not sure you've seen anything past Episode 12 or 13 based on your questions, so if you give it another shot, I can guarantee the show will explain a lot of confusing things you had questions about.

I've seen the whole series and I'd like to say that Nexus is arguably the best show ever made.

That's what I called memorable. not something like these:

Nope, you are wrong, I watched it until end before I give the score. I admit that Ren story is quite interesting, but the ending destroyed it (when komon become Ultraman, and night riders more like a patrol group after Zagi defeated). The ultraman design is the best compared to others, but we are talking about story here,so still (1/5).
Himeya Chapter (1/5)
Ren Chapter (3/5)
Ending (0/5)
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by Mxylv »

You have a point with the monsters; some of the Kaiju you mentioned (I presume they're from Gaia?) do look pretty cool (and I admit that last Nexus's nose-thing looks pretty weird), though I also think some Nexus Kaiju are pretty epic as well (particularly the one I showed earlier).

The last several episodes were extremely rushed (as it was originally supposed to be a 50-episode show, they had to cram the plots of 16 episodes into the space of 3), so I can see how you didn't like the end. I think it would've been a lot better if they'd taken a bit longer to explain everything, but due to the scheduling they were forced to finish it early.

I felt like the Himeya chapter was an effort to do something different and new with the Ultra Series, and it got poor ratings at the time because of the stark change from carefree young men gaining the power. Himeya's pain-filled era certainly is different, and I guess it's either something one likes or one doesn't (I liked it, for example), whereas Ren's was a bit more like those from previous shows.

Thanks for the feedback and I hope my notes provide a decent overview of the series. In the meantime, I hope we can agree that Nexus and Gaia are both better than Ginga ;)
Watching:

Watched:
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
imprialdrz
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by imprialdrz »

Mxylv wrote:You have a point with the monsters; some of the Kaiju you mentioned (I presume they're from Gaia?) do look pretty cool (and I admit that last Nexus's nose-thing looks pretty weird), though I also think some Nexus Kaiju are pretty epic as well (particularly the one I showed earlier).

The last several episodes were extremely rushed (as it was originally supposed to be a 50-episode show, they had to cram the plots of 16 episodes into the space of 3), so I can see how you didn't like the end. I think it would've been a lot better if they'd taken a bit longer to explain everything, but due to the scheduling they were forced to finish it early.

I felt like the Himeya chapter was an effort to do something different and new with the Ultra Series, and it got poor ratings at the time because of the stark change from carefree young men gaining the power. Himeya's pain-filled era certainly is different, and I guess it's either something one likes or one doesn't (I liked it, for example), whereas Ren's was a bit more like those from previous shows.

Thanks for the feedback and I hope my notes provide a decent overview of the series. In the meantime, I hope we can agree that Nexus and Gaia are both better than Ginga ;)

Thanks for the info, now I see why the ending feel so rushed and quite unclear compared to others. (although I am still not quite sure where EX episode will be filled in).
The thing I don't like about Himeya chapter (and nexus overall) is the story described from Komon point of view, rather than 3rd person. This make overall story become Komon centered. For example the one I never understand:
Spoiler
When the first time Komon fly the jet, he fly one alone, while 4 others more experienced people fly it with help from others

Well, you have a point there, Ginga is much worse ( would give -5 if I can) compared to Nexus.

On another note, Himeya is more like Fujimiya (Ultraman Agul) in Gaia. Lone hero with complex personality (and also got injured alot because he the injury he got from becoming ultraman).

Return to “Ultraman Nexus”