Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ultraman Nexus Manga

Post by takenoko »

Wiki page

So I read this a while back. As far as I can recall, it's a very abbreviated version of the TV story (which is too bad, since books/manga can be very good at filling in holes that are left by TV pacing). Side characters besides the Deunamists, Komon, and Nagi are mostly pushed into the background or non-speaking roles.

Spoilers for the end of the series
Spoiler
I only even remember Ishibori and Shiori being introduced just before he shoots her (which is a tragedy since she's a great character, but I think the artist can't really draw different women, since she looks just like Nagi). Then Zagi explains that he was born as Ultraman's shadow. And by absorbing Ultraman, he'll gain his true power.

Then Zagi explains that he predicted Nagi would be picked to be a Deunamist, that's why Zagi killed her parents, to nurture the darkness within her.

Komon saves Nagi, then becomes Ultraman and starts fighting Dark Zagi. The people see Ultraman and the memory block is erased.

Cut to TLT base for exposition. The visitors gave the technology, Lethe, to help erase/suppress people's memories. They're panicking, since they worry people will give in to the fear of the Beasts, thus making them stronger.

Then Illustrator receives a telepathic message from the Visitors. The Visitors explain that their home planet was also attacked by the Beasts. But then a giant of light appeared, Ultraman. He then proceeded to exterminate the Beasts. They explain they don't know who Ultraman is. Maybe he's a lifeform evolved to be the natural enemy of the Beast? Or maybe a god born from some ancient civilization? He saved the planet and left for the far reaches of the galaxy.

But even with the planet saved, the fear still lived in their hearts. The Visitors tried to create a guardian to protect them. An artificial life form with eternal life, Dark Zagi. Zagi could see into the future. He decided to end all the suffering, he would create a world with no life, no emotions. The Visitors decided to blow up their planet with Zagi. Weakened, Zagi used the Beasts and Ultraman to his advantage.

The first Space Beast, The One, gave humans the same fear as the Visitors. That's why they had the Lethe System for erasing the memories of the Beasts.

But people are remembering, but instead of giving in to fear, they're cheering for Ultraman. Giving him his ultimate form, Noa. And Noa defeats Dark Zagi.

In the epilogue, the Night Raiders are still fighting, but out in the open now. The breaking of the Lethe also meant that Beasts around the world had activated, so the Night Raiders are still doing clean up work. Also, Shiori is shown to be okay in this ending.

I haven't seen the TV series in maybe 10 years, so does anyone know how this differs from the TV series' story?

I'll scan this up when I get a chance.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Re: Ultraman Nexus Manga

Post by Mxylv »

Sounds mostly accurate.
Spoiler
(Although I'd think the late appearance of Ishibori and Shiori takes out the shock of him shooting her.) Zagi's explanation of Nagi through the memory block being erased matches my memory, but I don't remember fear making beasts stronger (nor the Illustrator receiving a message from the Visitors). The Visitors created Dark Zagi, but I think it was Zagi who destroyed the Visitors' planet? The epilogue is largely the same, anyway; Night Raiders are in the open and Shiori's okay (although that was shown very briefly in the show).

It's kinda sad to abbreviate a series that was already rushed at the end, in any case. Did the manga seem particularly rushed, or not any more so than the show?
Last edited by Mxylv on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Did the manga seem particularly rushed, or not any more so than the show?

It was pretty rush. A lot of the substories were either abbreviated or cut. It was only a short comic that came out monthly in a magazine, so that's why the pacing was really fast and loose. I think the manga might have continued on beyond the ending of the TV series since it got cancelled. When I remember to bring the manga home I'll post a more detailed explanation.

Full on spoiler town
Spoiler
>but I don't remember fear making beasts stronger

I vaguely remember the TV series having this actually. Wasn't that the whole justification of the Memory Police?

>I think it was Zagi who destroyed the Visitors' planet?

I mean, Zagi was sort of the reason the Vistior's planet got destroyed. Since the Visitor's don't talk in the TV series, I guess it makes more sense to simplify it as Zagi just destroying it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

A shame. Was hoping that it would have expanded the plot. Would have liked to see that intended arc where Nagi was Nexus.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

One of the things I couldn't figure out is whether chapter 10 was added just for the tankoubon version or if it had been drawn up and just never showed in TV-kun. It sort of seems like just an expanded version of the last episode, so I think it was drawn specifically for the 10 year anniversary release.

Return to “Ultraman Nexus”