Favorite series: Geki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Magumi
Alignment: Lawful Good

great show

Post by Dr. Who 07 »

i managed to up on older shows & i just got done watching nexus
i really enjoyed it
my only one complaint was that the last four ultras were rushed i would've liked to have seen nagi Zwei Zagi & komon a little bit longer that what they did

or even better since the light was hope when everyone was cheering ultramn on at the end maybe the light could've Extended & transformed nagi into anphan himeya into red & ren into blue one last time to help komon out
Kuuga
Gao

Post by Kuuga »

Ultraman Nexus is my favorite Ultraman series .
Great story , interesting characters and rockin' music !
The Nexus suit design is also really cool if not the coolest .
Too bad they pulled the plug early on the series due to bad ratings I thought .
That's why the ending is so rushed .

I'm glad you've enjoyed it as well Dr. Who 07 ... :)
jedimax
7X

Post by jedimax »

Question about the end. Does Komon still possess the Light?
Dr. Who 07
Adventure
Favorite series: Geki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Magumi
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dr. Who 07 »

it probably went away on it's own when he defeated zagi because it wasn't needed but if a need for it came up it would probably go back to him

either that or he has it but rarely uses it since there's all those night raiders now
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

just finished this show, many months after downloading it, for my first dable into the ultraman world i was impressed by how good the series was, the characters had great chemistry, was abit disapointed that jun was killed off as he was far better at it than Ren was, nice to see Komon get the light at the end, Zagi should have been introduced earlier to build up the finish, but still it finished nicely, instead of leaving many questions unanwsered, deffinatly a show worth watching if you havent already seen it
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Jim Ballard
Go Go!

Post by Jim Ballard »

Zagi and Noa were both supposed to appear more extensively in the second half of the series. While I was at SEVEN X in June, I was told there was supposed to be a mid-air battle between the two, similar to the climatic battle in the prequel ULTRAMAN: THE NEXT. Watch that film if you haven't -- these are the events Night Raider download from the TLT North America computer (episode 33 or 34, the title was "A.D 2004"), so it directly ties in with the series.

There was also supposed to be another giant, Lucifer, which would be a kind of "middle stage" between the space beast Ezmale and the giant Dark Zagi. While Ezmale was the combination of all the previous space beasts, Lucifer would incorporate parts of the different giants (Faust, Mephisto, etc). Yasushi Torisawa - who designed all the space beasts for NEXUS, and later all the aliens for SEVEN X - created an interesting sketch of Lucifer which was released in one of the books (ULTRAMAN NEXUS HERO PICTORIAL VOL.2 I believe, but I'd have to check.) The same book also has pictures of Noa and Zagi in the second opening credit sequence, which was obviously cut once the two characters were demoted to guest appearances for the finale.

Despite the cuts and "what could have been", NEXUS is still a fantastic show. After seeing SEVEN X shot in HD widescreen, with some brilliant matte shots and greatly improved CGI, NEXUS seems to have aged more than it should. But, it still holds up. It's a great character-driven story, and that's why I think it's going to last much longer than some of it's peers.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Agreed, I love Nexus. Also I didn't know about some of the what might have beens that you mentioned until today. But I still think that ending it with a brand new form and a "surprise" final villain was really cool. Still one of the best toku endings that I've ever seen.

It seemed like Tsburuya pro took a lot of flack for its heavy use of CGI over suit monsters in the recent year?
Jim Ballard
Go Go!

Post by Jim Ballard »

takenoko wrote:Still one of the best toku endings that I've ever seen.
Agreed! It holds up to repeated viewings very well, too. There are so many great moments in that episode. Even though there were hints towards Ishibori's true colors, it's still a shock on first viewing to see him *blast* Shiori. The whole setup where Nagi realizes it was Ishibori who murdered her parents, her transformation into Ultraman and the appearance of Dark Zagi was handled so well... and it was maybe only 1-2 minutes of film. I have since wondered why Yuichi Abe isn't the biggest fucking director in Japan. With Yagi doing his first Ultraman movie this year, I'm hoping Abe gets the same chance with the next film. For what it's worth, I also think the episode tied up the major lose ends. What wasn't answered in the show can be found in the books (I think the only main one is the truth behind Komon's drowning memory.) But, it can also be left to the imagination. Or ignored. The main story was resolved nicely.

As for the cancellation, they were basically fucked over by the network, CBC. Tsuburaya had pitched it as a prime-time show, but CBC changed their minds afterwards and insisted Ultraman was for children. Tsuburaya protested, but CBC ultimately pay for the show and have the final say in the matter. For the record, even though the ratings were low, Tsuburaya apparently got a lot more fan mail than normal praising the show. This was probably instrumental in their plans for SEVEN X.
takenoko wrote:It seemed like Tsburuya pro took a lot of flack for its heavy use of CGI over suit monsters in the recent year?
Some fans will always find something to complain about, I guess. In terms of FX, I think what they did with THE NEXT and SEVEN X is really the way forward; suit acting composited onto location footage. Back in the 90s when Toho were doing those horrible hard mattes on their Godzilla films (where Godzilla would just walk from one side of the screen to the other in the skyline behind some buildings) I would have said "no way", but Tsuburaya have really got their greenscreen stuff down to a tee.

I think when TYO bought those shares in Tsuburaya in October they said they wanted to incorporate more CGI into the Ultraman series to bring it into the 21st century (probably to make it easier to sell overseas), so this is probably what's going to happen. Still, it's not like there isn't 40-50 years worth of programming for the people who don't like it!
Kuuga
Gao

Post by Kuuga »

I personally prefer suit monsters and actual Ultraman actors in a suit then all that CGI .
Don't get me wrong , I don't have anything against the use of CGI , but sometimes it
just gets overused . Like in the new UltraSeven X , even in some of the big close-ups
of the main hero it's a CGI Ultraman !
But we each have our own likings and tastes ... :wink:
DaikaijuSokogeki!
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Den-O
Favorite Actor?: Ken'ichi Matsuyama
Favorite Band: Orange Range

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Jim Ballard wrote:There was also supposed to be another giant, Lucifer, which would be a kind of "middle stage" between the space beast Ezmale and the giant Dark Zagi. While Ezmale was the combination of all the previous space beasts, Lucifer would incorporate parts of the different giants (Faust, Mephisto, etc). Yasushi Torisawa - who designed all the space beasts for NEXUS, and later all the aliens for SEVEN X - created an interesting sketch of Lucifer which was released in one of the books (ULTRAMAN NEXUS HERO PICTORIAL VOL.2 I believe, but I'd have to check.) The same book also has pictures of Noa and Zagi in the second opening credit sequence, which was obviously cut once the two characters were demoted to guest appearances for the finale.
Aw man, the concept of Lucifer sounds so awesome. But I agree, Ultraman Nexus was a fantastic show despite all of the cuts Tsuburaya had to make. The last episode was a tad bit rushed, but it was very conclusive nonetheless. Considering the amount of time Tsuburaya had to develop the story in the 2nd half, they did a great job wrapping things up. Now, how come the newer Kamen Rider shows can't do the same thing even though the writers have a set number of episodes (between 48-50) from the start of the show?

Great show, I'm glad I finally saw it after all these years. Now, I suppose I should give UltraSeven X another chance...
Jim Ballard
Go Go!

Re: great show

Post by Jim Ballard »

Oh, so, I received this CLIMAX STORIES - ULTRAMAN NEXUS DVD today. It came out last Friday. Basically, with the new movie coming out, Tsuburaya are trying to promote the hell out of all their Heisei Ultraman characters, and they've been producing these direct-to-DVD clip shows under the somewhat disturbing "Climax Stories" title.

Unlike all the other titles though, the one for NEXUS actually works really well. The "Climax Stories" work by combining a bunch of clips and getting the original actors to narrate it. It looks out of place for the other shows, but since this is the format NEXUS was produced in anyway, it just feels like another episode. Also, because the show had a running story arc, it actually flows through like a mini movie, unlike the other DVDs which just jump around to different fight scenes. Takuji Kawakubo has returned to provide new narration as Komon just like the original show (his voice sounding slightly deeper now.)

It's a fun 60-minute re-telling of NEXUS. Not how I would suggest watching the show for the first time (since the point of NEXUS is the slow revelation of the mysteries), but very fun all the same. For the Ultra-otaku, there are also a couple of odd shots that originally hit the cutting room floor (odd bits of character dialogue mostly.)

CLIMAX STORIES - ULTRAMAN NEXUS is directed by Yuichi Abe, who directed some of the show's best episodes, including the final three.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Really? When I read the DVD description for that before, it said there was no original footage in it.
Jim Ballard
Go Go!

Post by Jim Ballard »

There's not really. Just some off cuts and different takes. Really minor stuff.
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

Definitely great show absolutely loved the series, it's to bad that it was only 37 episodes long because of bad handling. Loved the idea of having Ultraman be different people as the series progressed that way we weren't locked into one character and you never knew who was going to get the power next, also loved the concept of the Dark Ultra's they made excellent antagonist for the Dunamists. I definitely think this series would do well on American television if ever brought over and given proper treatment.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
John_X
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Re:

Post by John_X »

Jim Ballard wrote:[...]

There was also supposed to be another giant, Lucifer, which would be a kind of "middle stage" between the space beast Ezmale and the giant Dark Zagi. While Ezmale was the combination of all the previous space beasts, Lucifer would incorporate parts of the different giants (Faust, Mephisto, etc). Yasushi Torisawa - who designed all the space beasts for NEXUS, and later all the aliens for SEVEN X - created an interesting sketch of Lucifer which was released in one of the books (ULTRAMAN NEXUS HERO PICTORIAL VOL.2 I believe, but I'd have to check.) The same book also has pictures of Noa and Zagi in the second opening credit sequence, which was obviously cut once the two characters were demoted to guest appearances for the finale.

[...]

I found this at clubdesmonstres.com, along with some other sketches from the show.

Return to “Ultraman Nexus”