Taking a break from weekly translations

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Male: Yes
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Taking a break from weekly translations

Post by takenoko » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:03 pm

BuraddoRun wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:13 pm
And I'm currently watching ToQger, which is AMAZING!
I love Toqger! It's so underrated!

I did: Agito, Ryuki, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Amazons. Then Deka through Go-Busters, Toqger through KyuuRanger

Luna did: Drive, Ghost, Build, Kyouryuuger

Xiiliea did: Ex-Aid, Build

Who did 555?

I wonder if there's translation styles that make us distinct enough to tell the difference?

Lunagel
Bottle Shaker
omg are u a girl?: Yes
Favorite series: Magiranger
2ndFavoriteSeries: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:44 pm

I did 555, although that was when I was a baby translator so looking back on it a lot of the dialogue is a bit stilted and overly literal.

As we all tend to qc each other's work I'd say our translating styles get pretty meshed together. If you look at the original scripts before qc then I think a style emerges.

Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2ndFavoriteSeries: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:41 pm

A big thank you takenoko. Your work means a lot for many fans.

I really enjoyed QCing shows which you translated and primarily that's because it was all a learning process for me too.

I do get what you say about recent sentai and rider shows being disappointing; it has led me to taking short breaks from QCing them for the same reason.

TVN is blessed to have Luna and xiiliea continue translating these shows, so let's all support them.
Behold the Emperor!

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald

Post by takenoko » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Slowking wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:41 pm
TVN is blessed to have Luna and xiiliea continue translating these shows, so let's all support them.
It's their burden now. Godspeed, ladies.

Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2ndFavoriteSeries: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 pm

No pressure!
Behold the Emperor!

ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:04 am

Aww, well this is a shame. You're practically an institution within an institution, Takenoko. The north star in the far east escapades of a bunch of westerners, even. :o

Luna and xiiliea will of course do fine on their own, but I don't imagine it'll be quite the same as before. Every translator leaves their mark in some fashion or another.

Anyhow, thank you for everything you've done over the years. It's difficult to find time to just watch all of these releases, so I have no idea how you've found the time to do all the translating and QC this requires.

And just because you're no longer translating, I hope this doesn't mean you won't keep writing up episode commentaries. Along with the language, you have a great understanding of the shows and the tropes, so your commentary often very enlightening.:)

PS And if we're going on about old series, I've always thought a full HD release of Gekiranger would be wonderful. It's a fantastic series, and as it was originally released in XviD, a modern release would look quite a bit better

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 am

>Luna and xiiliea will of course do fine on their own, but I don't imagine it'll be quite the same as before. Every translator leaves their mark in some fashion or another.

I'll probably bug them with stuff in QC. Unless the shows get so bad that I hit the escape button~

>PS And if we're going on about old series, I've always thought a full HD release of Gekiranger would be wonderful. It's a fantastic series, and as it was originally released in XviD, a modern release would look quite a bit better

I'd love it if Toei would release Blu-rays of all their shows, but I feel like they're just going to put their stuff on their Toei Channel instead. Geki is commonly cited by people to be some of our poorest work, so it'd be nice to redo that as well.

ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:41 pm

takenoko wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 am
I'd love it if Toei would release Blu-rays of all their shows, but I feel like they're just going to put their stuff on their Toei Channel instead. Geki is commonly cited by people to be some of our poorest work, so it'd be nice to redo that as well.
Oh. I was under the impression that Gekiranger already received a Blu-ray release, which is what you guys used for the one-off HD encode of episode 1. Was that not the case?

Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:28 am

It was a raw that we found one day for Geki 01 HD not a Blu-Ray.

Return to “Off Topic”