potential for an interview

landbasered
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Creativity is the first step towards creation.

potential for an interview

Post by landbasered »

Hi there, my name is Brian Atkins and I am working on making a tokusatsu related website called lbr-rangers. Currently it is small, with only a couple dozen followers.
One of the main things I do for the site is a podcast called Toku Takeout with a handful of other people, where we watch an episode of a tokusatsu show and discuss it amongst ourselves.

While trying to attract more interest in the site, I was wondering if it would be possible to set up an interview with one of the kind people at tv-nihon who actually work on the subtitles. So far in the podcast we have chosen tv-nihon subtitles over the other subtitle groups, so I feel like it would be nice to hear from you guys.
Thank you for reading this, I look forward to your reply.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: potential for an interview

Post by takenoko »

I wouldn't be up for a podcast, but if you wrote any questions here I'd be glad to answer them. Maybe someone else in the group would be more up for an interview?
landbasered
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by landbasered »

Yeah, that's my bad. I didn't mean for the interview to be on the podcast. I meant text.

If you don't mind, it might take a while to get some good questions figured out, so I'll be back later. Thanks!
landbasered
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by landbasered »

Okay, so I came up with 4 pretty good questions that cover the bases pretty well, and I also have a fun bonus question from someone else. So, here they are:

1: How did you get into Tokusatsu? What was the first show you watched, and what made you guys start fansubbing them?

2: Were there any series in particular that made subbing a challenge? I notice in Den-O the phrase "Ore Sanjou" is always left in japanese.

3: Do you have a favorite show that you guys have subbed?

4: Are there any american shows you would consider tokusatsu, such as power rangers, beetleborgs, etcetera, or do you consider those shows something different entirely?

Bonus Question: What flavor of syrup do you like on your pancakes at ihop? Also, side note, do you miss the butter pecan one?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

1: How did you get into Tokusatsu? What was the first show you watched, and what made you guys start fansubbing them?

When I was a teenager, I watched like the first three seasons of Power Rangers when it first came out. By the time I quit I was pretty much like, "Okay, I've pretty much got the formula down." So when I was visiting Japan and stumbled upon Hurricaneger, I went, "Colorful suits, cliche plot, robots, okay I've seen this. What else is on?" I think I switched the channel to Transformers or Digimon or something.

About half an hour later, I was surfing again and I found Ryuki. It was sorta dark and had drama and comedy. I was so invested in it that when I got back, I went on IRC to see if there were any places to download more of it. That's when I came upon #Tokusatsu, where a certain Frenchman named Drax was getting encodes from his friend in Japan and distributing in that channel. I don't remember the time scale, I think it was early 2002 since it was the episode with Shinji in jail.

Skip some months to October. I found out that I was kicked out of the channel. I was like, "What'd I do?" I contacted one of the staff and they told me to go to a new channel, #TV-Nihon. I guess Kingranger had gotten tired of the mismanagement of Tokusatsu, so most of the members left and started this new one.

2: Were there any series in particular that made subbing a challenge? I notice in Den-O the phrase "Ore Sanjou" is always left in japanese.

Nah, that was left in because Momotaros is awesome and we liked his catchphrase just the way it was. It just happened to work out that whenever they did puns on it later like the movie "Ore tanjou" or his voice actor saying "I'm Sanjou" in the Kiva movie it made it easier to explain the puns that were done on it.

The hardest part of translating (and writing in general) is knowing what you're talking about. The worst things to translate are things that get metaphysical and basically come out as random jargon.

The second worst thing to work on definitely are puns. Since comedy requires that the viewer have knowledge on several different levels, they often don't survive the translation process. We mostly get around this with translator notes rather than replace them with replacement jokes.

Man, that's a hard question to answer, since it's like asking someone to pick a favorite kid. From a viewer, I really like the mature stuff that we work on, like Blade, Garo, Ryuki, or Kamen Rider The First/Next. As a writer, it's a lot of fun to get into certain mindsets or characters and trying to figure out how they would sound in English. I guess I liked working on Shinkenger for blend of fitting archaic stuff into a modern setting (as well as the samurai dynamics) or Fourze since Kengo is this delicious smarmy know-it-all at the beginning of the series.

4: Are there any american shows you would consider tokusatsu, such as power rangers, beetleborgs, etcetera, or do you consider those shows something different entirely?

I dunno, if I'm going to be blatantly honest, I guess I wouldn't? I mean, when people talk about anime, they're talking about a wide genre-spanning list of animations... that are made in Japan. I'm sure cartoons in America can be done in the anime-style, but it's not useful to me to call those things anime too. But if someone made a list of tokusatsu and they included American stuff, I probably wouldn't say anything. It's just a label, after all. I guess I'd just call it American Tokusatsu and just create a sub category for it if I were really forced to say something about it.

I definitely wouldn't say they're something entirely different though. With Power Rangers being dubbed back into Japanese and them referring to Power Rangers as American Sentai, there's no doubt that there's some sort of relationship there.

>Bonus Question: What flavor of syrup do you like on your pancakes at ihop? Also, side note, do you miss the butter pecan one?

I've honestly never eaten at ihop. I made myself some french toast yesterday though. Wish I had mixed some cinnamon into the egg. Say, do you remember the episode of Tom and Jerry where they're in the hotel and they get some pancakes or something? For some reason that scene where they eat the pancake really stuck in my mind. Just them swabbing up the syrup with a piece of pancake.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

Years ago, I was a huge fan of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's. I was absolutely obsessed with the card game, and especially with the anime. It pretty much became an active routine for me to come home from school on Wednesdays to watch the latest episode. Now, I'd definitely say that the obsession from Yu-Gi-Oh! has greatly faded. I'm honestly not a big fan of Zexal, the successor to 5D's. It simply didn't have that same feel.

But I digress. The main reason why I brought up 5D's was for its voice actors and actresses. I love the work they do to provide those characters with a life of their own. I was so intrigued that I started researching them up, such as looking up personal blogs, watching Japanese interviews, and stuff that they did before they became voice actors and actresses. It was there that I found Kinoshita Ayumi, the woman who voiced Izayoi Aki in 5D's. I absolutely loved her work on voicing Aki, so I thought I'd look into her history. It was there that I saw her as an actress on a show called Tokusou Sentai DekaRanger. That was pretty much the series that got me into Tokusatsu and TV-Nihon. To this day, DekaRanger is not only my favorite Sentai series, but my favorite Tokusatsu series of all time. It had everything to me. I was so into the series, that I felt so empty and lost when I finished. It was just so amazing, and I would absolutely love to see this series up for a remake in the future.

I only started fansubbing since last April. I thought it'd be fun to contribute to the Tokusatsu community so I hopped on the bandwagon.

I think takenoko covered up pretty much what I had to say on this question.

Well, I'm not really one to talk since I haven't been here for a really long time. However, I do have to tip my hat to TimeRanger. I've watched the series years ago RAW and I was absolutely intrigued by how Sentai used to be in the past. Each and every episode left me hanging, and when I ultimately ended up helping translating TimeRanger, I was quite excited, yet nervous since my Japanese wasn't top-notch. All the Japanese I've learned was from self-teaching over the past six years, along with some classroom environments.

Well, I'm sure Power Rangers, Beetleborgs, and stuff like Kamen Rider Dragon Knight can be considered tokusatsu. I mean, they're live-action special effect shows with transforming characters. Depends on how the fan interprets it though.

Bonus Question: What flavor of syrup do you like on your pancakes at ihop? Also, side note, do you miss the butter pecan one?
I have never eaten there. Sorry!
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

>> 1: How did you get into Tokusatsu? What was the first show you watched, and what made you guys start fansubbing them?

Around the time of Operation Overdrive, I was starting to dislike watching Power Rangers (not that I hated it, just that I was finding it hard to watch) and one of my online friends mentioned Dekaranger to me so, the following summer I watched all of it on Veoh. Watched Magiranger (which I ended up dropping though, eventually finished it), then watched the first 10 of Dairanger off the TV rips TVN had up (which was my favorite Sentai for the longest time) before I decided to catch up with Go-Onger which was (for better or for worse) my first weekly toku.

I eventually joined up with TVN when it had that short-lived joint with Zokusei and stayed with the group despite all the drama that came up.

>> 2: Were there any series in particular that made subbing a challenge? I notice in Den-O the phrase "Ore Sanjou" is always left in japanese.

I suppose something like Gokaiger or Akibaranger since it floated on knowing references to past Sentai shows.

>> 3: Do you have a favorite show that you guys have subbed?

I wanna say Agito but if you're limiting it to shows that are completely subbed? At the moment, it's Cutie Honey the Live. A much better done LA version of Honey if compared to the 2004 film, Inoue Toshiki (and, the other few writers) managed to make a really good show that (despite one lil gripe I have) was pretty dang good.

>> 4: Are there any american shows you would consider tokusatsu, such as power rangers, beetleborgs, etcetera, or do you consider those shows something different entirely?

I think take covered everything I'd say here.

>> Bonus Question: What flavor of syrup do you like on your pancakes at ihop? Also, side note, do you miss the butter pecan one?

Sorry, I barely go to iHOP. Not that I don't want to, it's just that the closest one is a pretty decent drive away from where I live. D:
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Post by SacredCultivator »

{Sorry if mine doesn't come out all lengthy and whatnot ><}

Well I'm sure most of us would agree, at one point in our life we grew up watching The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, I know I did and loved it! The first season is probably the absolute best despite how the colors matched the race lol. Anyway I don't recall which Sentai series started it for me... But to my memory I'd say that it had to be MagiRangers. And honest to say it's probably the best starter series to get new fans into Sentai {For me at least since that's the first / oldest one I watched at the time} Family oriented and just showed how a family bond can conquer all.

As for Fansubbing, I started getting into fansubbing probably mid '05? but I didn't join up with TV-Nihon till... dang I remember I brought this up at one time, but don't recall when I joined as it was due to my sempai's, zeldAIS, recommendation to join the group. But I'd say that it's been well over... 3? years that I've been part of the group and don't regret it one bit!

Given that I primarily serve as QC and for a short time frame, Encoder... can't say too much in regards to challenge... apart from as you mentioned which words to leave in Japanese and which to actually translate. As we all know, it's hard to please everyone, so I give the Translators props for sorta stick it to both spectrums and leaving some things in their native form whereas other groups will translate them. And what's a show without their catch-phrases right? "Ore Sanjou!" is a great example, as not only do you learn a new catchphrase, you also learn what it is since I'm sure for the first episode or so we did have a note for what it meant.

Favorite show... ouch that's really hard to say. So I'll semi bullet-point them.
One-Shot: Death Game Park (I specialize in fansubbing Hello!Project related media and one of the actors in the show/movie was featured, Mano Erina {She also appeared in the Kamen Rider Fourze movies}) Apart from that it just featured a great cast and had a great theme, Battle Royale / Saw -esque theme. And not to forget, it was probably THE project that I put all my knowledge of fansubbing into as it's the first and only project that I've timed/ typesetted for TV-Nihon.

Series (Kamen Rider): Without a doubt it'd have to be Fourze. I grew up watching Japanese Dramas and we all know a good chunk of them revolve around the School theme and when I first heard Fourze would be revolving around that idea, I was sold. Not so much on the suit at first, but with most suits I get used to it. A close first would be Decade, just due to the tributes to past Rider series {even if I didn't watch them} and of course it has... Natsumikan, who I think is the cutest Rider Girl thus far {My opinion}

Series (Sentai): Oh no brainer here, Gokaiger. I guess it was due to how it paid tribute to past Sentai's {good factor for me since that's why I enjoyed Decade}. Not only that I think the star that did it for me was Luka. She had that tomboy-ish, badass role BUT to where she still looks super adorable while whooping butt.

I'd definitely consider them tokusatsu as they are based off of well tokusatsu. I grew up watching a majority of them and enjoyed them
Power Rangers: Tommy (Green/White Ranger), best of all time. Green looked ugly without that gold plate (When he gives to Red) but with it, oh get out, give me that dagger-flute and Dragonzord!
Beetleborgs: Super cheesy / generic powers, but hey you have a Blue Genie guy, Flabber-something, but I know that series definitely made me go out and buy their morpher thingies.
Masked Rider {First one}: I can't recall too much about it, but at the time of its debut, I did enjoy watching it. It was different.

I think I've only ever gone to IHOP once and I believe i used Maple? syrup hehe, so can't answer this one with any confidence.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>super adorable while whooping butt

I read this too quickly and thought it said "super adorable white butt". My, how cheeky!
zeta_gundam
Save the life
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

I can't recall really. Probably the dubbed version of Kamen Rider Ryuki on the TV channel in Singapore many years back. I watched Faiz and Blade dubbed as well. After surfing around, I found out about #TV-Nihon's subs for Kamen Rider Kabuto. After visiting the site, I started watching other toku shows as well, like Super Sentai.

As for why I joined the team? I dunno. I felt it would be fun. When takenoko posted on the front page for QC'ers for Keitai Sousakan 7, the very first project I helped on if I remember correctly, I just signed up for it. That's about 5 years ago now.

Maybe not a particular series... but in general, puns, as takenoko mentioned, are ridiculously hard to get across at times. The puns usually only work in Japanese, and it's sometimes hard to find a suitable English equivalent. Another thing about translating would be names of monsters or attacks. Usually, the names play on existing words and sound effects.

Hmm, probably the more mature ones, like Kamen Rider THE FIRST and THE NEXT, and GARO. I tend to recommend GARO to a lot of people.

Power Rangers, I guess? But to be frank, I hardly watch American shows. Even for Power Rangers, the last one I watched was... the original seasons of MMPR? I watched a snippets of the other ones too, but never really watched the entire seasons subsequently.

I'm Singaporean; most of the shows I get on our free-to-air channels are stuff like Power Rangers, dubbed versions of Kamen Rider, and loads of American cartoons. However, almost all the shows are like... 1-2 seasons behind America. Also, I hardly watch TV. So I really can't comment much. =/

Who with the what now? Singapore doesn't have ihop. But if you're talking pancakes, chocolate sauce and maple syrup works for me.
landbasered
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by landbasered »

Thanks guys! I have to go to bed right now, but I'll put these awesome answers on the blog when I have a chance!

You have no idea how much this means to me!
zeldAIS
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: 音楽とか妖怪のテマ
2nd Favorite Series: スーパー戦隊シリーズ
Dreamy: 松岡茉優Queen
My boom: 漫画,音楽,ドラマ,映画
Quote: "The fan translations community must be helping & understanding each other."
"Quality fan translations take quality time."
Type: INFP Healer

Post by zeldAIS »

Since I've been bloody busy with real life stuff, might as well reply here. I don't really mind if you don't get to update your blog post. I just wanted something to get off this chaos at the moment (that is called real life). And truth be told, I just miss fansubbing :P

> 1: How did you get into Tokusatsu? What was the first show you watched
As I see now, I'm actually the same as Nossan / KyoryuBlue - old. I grew up in Japan as a kid & was watching the later episodes of Choujuu Sentai Liveman until early parts of Kyoryuu Sentai Zyuranger and also Kamen Rider Black & Kamen Rider Black RX. Was a big fan of Toei tokusatsu as a kid & was really glad I went to Koraku Yuenchi (Toei Tokusatsu theme park) at one time when parents treated me and lil bro there.

> what made you guys start fansubbing them?
I personally love live action JDramas. But I got really interested how dragonhawk-sempai made the typesets of those shows. I'm still wow'd on his work in Boukenger, Sazer-X, among others shows he did side by side. My first fansub group was around 2003 and was mostly interested in Japanese Music fansubbing - hench I'm biased with the artistic department of fansubbing karaoke effects and typesetting. Pretty much the eyecandy stuff of fansubbing.

Even though a bit outdated, check out my answers at these threads.
- viewtopic.php?f=144&t=9588&start=15#p153806
- viewtopic.php?f=154&t=6220&sid=b0168384 ... 2b#p108243
- viewtopic.php?p=1916#p1916

> 2: Were there any series in particular that made subbing a challenge? I notice in Den-O the phrase "Ore Sanjou" is always left in japanese.
- Series typesetting wise, I remember struggling with GekiRanger as it was my first weekly show I was tasked to typeset in TV-Nihon. I pretty much was organized in fansubbing Kiva. Might as well mention that Geki and Kiva overlapping was a challenge - as I typesetted two shows while balancing my real life commitments (during that time, college thesis and college subjects).

> 3: Do you have a favorite show that you guys have subbed?
As I mentioned at #3 here, I like all of them as I'm biased that I will only work on a show that I like. It is not something to make me pay my bills anyway, so might as well have fun working on them.

But I'll probably be more particular with DaiMajin Kanon. I'm a big youkai fan (as I grew up with GeGeGe no Kitarou), big tokusatsu fan, big JDrama / slice of life fan and a big music fan (which is why SkewedS tends to have many music themed releases). DaiMajin Kanon has all those elements mentioned. And I know, I have to get back working on it, as it's currently stuck with me - ack, real life - be more gentle with me, please ;A;

> 4: Are there any american shows you would consider tokusatsu, such as power rangers, beetleborgs, etcetera, or do you consider those shows something different entirely?
tokusatsu literally means special effects. Though because of the evolution of the world tokusatsu in the English speaking audience outside Japan (just like the word "anime" is - or the meaning of "cute" 40 years ago (which meant small and bow-legged (so only babies were cute) 4 decades ago)), it more or less meant Japanese super hero shows. Well, Godzilla is a tokusatsu show. Heck, I think the Marvel movies are also tokusatsu movies... maybe XD;;

> Bonus Question: What flavor of syrup do you like on your pancakes at ihop? Also, side note, do you miss the butter pecan one?
Not really fond of sweets and pancakes. And is ihop a place in America? I don't live in America and have never been there so I don't really know :P

Return to “Off Topic”