Is Tokusatsu becoming too mainstream?

mantis
Go Go!
Favorite series: Ultraseven
2nd Favorite Series: Sailor Moon
Dreamy: Gosei Blue
Favorite Actor?: Ito Hideaki
Favorite Band: None right now

Re: Is Tokusatsu becoming too mainstream?

Post by mantis »

My main complaint isn't so much that it is becoming mainstream but a way for companies to capitalize on something they really have no intention of actually releasing. For example Crunchyroll licensed Ultraman but will we ever see DVD releases of Mebius or 80? No. They licensed them in order to grab ahold and go after supposed "law breakers." How many of us love to watch certain episodes over and over again? With them grabbing the licensing they force groups like TVN to take down their work so they can "profit" yet they know they won't physically release their work so really it isn't about serving the fans but getting one over on them. So in two years time they'll takedown their acquisition and the sub groups go away and we are back where we were in the 90s and early 2000s - no access.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

In the case of Ultraman, it's likely hard to release DVDs considering the whole Chaiyo debacle. :V
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i can understand how people feel about something they like thats indie or underground going mainstream because then you have to deal with all the noobs trying to tell you about the content you love and for them its a passing fad and you know when it passes you hear "youre still into that?" and at first its cool because then its everywhere but then its almost bastardised because you know the content youre seeing isnt right. and when you try to inform someone or a group that the original content went in a different direction, which you feel was better, they look at you in a very alienating fashion.

but at the same time, those actors need to be paid, and those companies want to stay in business. so be glad it got successful enough to go main stream, but for me, i want a bumblebee that talks not speaks via radio, ugh, and a movie that doesn focus on him and prime solely.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Huh, interesting Transformers analogy. I know I definitely don't care for Michael Bay's Transformers. I guess it's good that it's popular among people, but for me, I like a different kind of Transformers.

Honestly, I think it's fine if some people like it as a passing fad. There's no right way to like something. I think it's silly when fans fight about things like that, like there's some definitive correct way of doing something.
Shaider03
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Double
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Zentreya
Favorite Actor?: Robert Downey Jr
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: My love for tokusatsu will never die.

Post by Shaider03 »

One thing I've come to hate is the slanderous ignorance of Johnny come lately western fans ingeneral. Constantly getting things wrong but try to force and scream their mistake like its true. Worse trying to shame anyone who's actually right. Instead of just accepting their misinformed and leaving it be. Making snap judgments and acting like experts even after saying their uninformed. I don't mind people moving on after a fad is over because the ones that stay are becoming real fans. Some of which might be some worth while people to get to know. I just hate shallow people that look back at a fad with disgust even when they them self's where a part of it. Those people suck in general so chance's are I'd hate them for general reasons any way.

On the reverse side their are fans in other fanbase that are whiny hate sling sakes of crap. Like The Gundam fanbase. They are the worst I swear. If you like Gundam Seed even if you have watched U.C. stuff too your hated instantly. Passed of as some emo twerp without showing any of that at all. Its mostly the damn American fanbase that piss and moan bout Seed even in Gundam show's that have nothing to do with it. It's been years since that show aired and they still act that way. Like the show and any one who likes it raped and killed their family. I don't like Decade but I don't go around trolling and screaming at people who do.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think a little patience is needed with new guys. You can't just get mad at them for not knowing everything to start, because they can't. They will in time, but not if a bunch of people treat ignorance as a crime.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The issue is there is such a massive back catalogue of series to watch. With so many, people will have different tastes.

I really like Goseiger for example and don't really like Gokaiger. People will shit on me for that opinion. People are entitled to have them.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Haha, I can see how that might be a surprising opinion for people. But really, anyone that gives you a hard time beyond asking for clarification is being an asshole.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Look like I'm not the only one that liked Goseiger, what a relief. But I can't say that I hated Gokaiger either.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

takenoko wrote:Haha, I can see how that might be a surprising opinion for people. But really, anyone that gives you a hard time beyond asking for clarification is being an asshole.
That's why I don't pay other people much mind!

The thing I don't like the most is if people say 'X series is shit' and haven't actually watched it and only have that opinion because the crowd does. Most people I know for example will say 'X series was shit so I dropped it after 6 episodes'.

Return to “Off Topic”