Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Re: Is Tokusatsu becoming too mainstream?

Post by Battra »

Shonen King wrote:I'm concerned with video quality too. Everything Shout factory releases as far as toku is concerned seems cheap. The covers are generic and the video sources are not the best. Sometimes they seem like quickie releases to make a fast buck. I'd would much rather support sub groups who actually love the programs.
Not to sure on Johnny Sokko, but I know Shout wasn't able to get high quality version of Seven & Ultra Q due to the stupid court battle between Tsuburaya and Chaiyo.

So I watched the 1st episode of Mebius on Cruchyroll & the Fushigi-chan version, (since that's what I had available) the official subs are of a decent quality in my opinion. I noticed that they used the term "Father of Ultra" instead of "Ultra Father", the name description for Dinozaur may have also been changed, and it looked as if some of the dialogue between between characters was probably interpreted/translated a different way.

I don't really mind since I don't see toku going as mainstream as anime has, and I doubt with Zyu and Mebius getting official releases is going to put Tv-Nihon out of business. I'm all for this if it get's just a couple of people interested in the fandom, heck I wouldn't be writing this right now if it wasn't for English dubs of Godzilla, Gamera and Ultraseven entertaining me as a kid.

As for that box I think it should read "before Power Ranger there was Zyuranger" Super Sentai makes it sound like Zyu was the first ignoring everything that came before.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
WoodBetweenWorlds
Go Go!
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger, Kiva
Favorite Band: Relient K
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Big Hero 6
Quote: "So, physics! Physics, eh? Physics! Phyyyysics! I hope you're all getting this down!" - The Doctor

Post by WoodBetweenWorlds »

Well, if that's really the cover of the DVD, then I seriously doubt people are going to pick it up and say "Wow, this looks cool." Highlighting Power Rangers will catch the eyes of a few people, but I doubt they would immediately put down money for it. Another big question is how far they're going to try and push this release. If they only release it online, it's obviously only going to sell to people who already know what it is. However, if they push in to major stores, like Walmart, it could be a different story.

Do I think tokusatsu will become as mainstream as anime? No. Mainly because I know people who watch every single anime they can get their hands on and straight up laughed in my face when I started talking about Kamen Rider.
Check out my Tumblr where I review shows that I watch and talk about other random nonsense!

http://codenamewaffle.tumblr.com/
kyoichikiller90
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: KR Agito/Kabuto
Dreamy: Akiyama Nana
Favorite Actor?: Hongo Kanata
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: ONORE DECADE
Quote: Ore wa hitori dake jubun da. Dare mou tomete nai, dare mou jama wa saseru nai. Sa... Omae-tachi kakatte koi yo.
Type: ESTP Promoter

Post by kyoichikiller90 »

Juu renjaa.. Juu renjaa..

If concerning about quality of the subs, mostly crunchy was modified the fansubs scripts, even though they got their own translators that who they claimed previously worked on TV broadcast system.

I think even the official subs doesn't put some honorific like San ,kun, chan which was not my cupnof tea, enjoyed the show.. In my country the Animax subs was used from VGB(licensed of DVD distributer of any Japanese TV show) mostly. Every Ultra series was licensed by Aquos Sharp & Speedy Video distributors had nice quality of subs, especially with an honorifics. I wished that crunchy could do that.
KamenRiderScar
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Yes
Favorite Band: A little bit of all
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "It doesn't take the world's greatest nations to create the next global conflict, just the will of a single man." -Makarov
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by KamenRiderScar »

Well, with OOO being aired in The Philippines (Where I'm from), I'm actually glad.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

... hmm... This is a bit of a tricky topic for me. On the one side, I would hope it would bring more awareness to Super Sentai despite it being well, you know, a Japanese TV show for children. And if more people are aware of it that's more people I can talk to bout one of my favorite franchises... On the other hand this could lead to more head and heart breaking annoying uninformed or unintelligent comments like 'they're just copying Power Rangers' or 'hey that's not what happened in Power Rangers. Can't they get something that simple right?' and hearing those comments from people talking about the actual Sentai series that Power Rangers Americanized may (not literally or actually) drive me to murder.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
teku
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz, Kabuto
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFP Healer

Post by teku »

That crunchy thing is not available in my country.

So it's a sad thing to hear you've discontinued subbing Mebius. Although other Mebius fansub existed, yours are by far better.

Just out of my curiosity, why some shows that aired there, are still subbed by many groups? Why don't you become one?
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

What Kogashi said reminded me of how difficult it was (and probably still is) to get new people into tokusatsu, back in the late '90s and early 2000s. Many people would lose interest fast once Sentai was inevitably brought up, since they were more aware of the adaption, and seemed to think that the two shows were almost exactly the same thing. Like Saban's version was a shot-for-shot remake of Zyuranger, but with fewer Asian actors or something. O_o

Due to this, I'm not very pleased with them mentioning the adaption on the cover (assuming that that's the real thing). On the plus side, the most prominent image is of the heroes untransformed, which would certainly help to tell the two versions apart.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

teku wrote:Just out of my curiosity, why some shows that aired there, are still subbed by many groups? Why don't you become one?
We're based in the U.S. so we try to follow U.S. laws. Other fansubs that are not based in the US may continue subbing if a show is not licensed in their country. Or they continue regardless. We want to try to follow the law as much as possible, seeing as this is technically an illegal operation. Also, we're afraid of lawyers.
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MadCow »

teku wrote:That crunchy thing is not available in my country.

So it's a sad thing to hear you've discontinued subbing Mebius. Although other Mebius fansub existed, yours are by far better.

Just out of my curiosity, why some shows that aired there, are still subbed by many groups? Why don't you become one?
Yeah, a concern for me as well. Its cool and all for stuff to get licensed in America and elsewhere, but it does nothing for many other Asian countries who won't have access to the licensed stuff.
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Klanoyt »

Too bad... I think we should already set up a secret base just like the Akiba Rangers. Gotta hide from huge corporations trying to sue smaller people who just try to do what they love doing. Looks like everything's eventually turning out to be a business. :/
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

TBustah! wrote:If I buy this thing and find that they've spliced in stuff from Dai or Kaku, I'm going to go on a murderous rampage.
:?
Why.. why would they do that? There's nothing implying that at all and Mr. Ward doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do that.
Kogashi wrote:On the other hand this could lead to more head and heart breaking annoying uninformed or unintelligent comments like 'they're just copying Power Rangers' or 'hey that's not what happened in Power Rangers. Can't they get something that simple right?'
Fwiw, I think Dino Thunder may have got some people to do that already....
ChibiZyuJin
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by ChibiZyuJin »

Well in my country; not even my japanese teacher(who was a japanese citizen) knew what toku was. I think I am the only one among 80 million people in my country who knows what toku is.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

teku wrote:Just out of my curiosity, why some shows that aired there, are still subbed by many groups? Why don't you become one?
Not everyone is interested in working with us and different people have different ways of doing things. I actually reached out to Fushigi at one point and asked if we could modify their scripts for our own subs, but they said they weren't interested. Sometimes that's just the way it goes.

It's not a bad thing, different groups to cater to different tastes. Although I wouldn't mind getting some more skilled help at our group.
Ryouga
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ryouga »

Its ok, I would probably prefer a light green colour for the cover though so it makes people think of the Green Ranger(though not sure how well green coloured boxes do)
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I wll be frank abot this that I am not too happy about it getting mainstream. Small reason is when something get licensed it either turns into a money cow and butchered until there is no milk or thrown in an archive collecting dust for decades until someone else buys license.

My main reason is however if TVN stops not only subbing but also distributing these shows I literally have no way to access them since it is hard to get imports where i live especially videos.

Return to “Off Topic”