Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Is Tokusatsu becoming too mainstream?

Post by takenoko »

Hipsterness aside, how do you feel about toku being more mainstream? Ultraman on crunchy. Zyu getting an official DVD release.

I dunno, when we first started, no one knew about Rider stuff. So it was pretty awesome when you'd run into a guy who watched hawaiian subs of V3 and GoRanger as a kid.

Now, it's still pretty niche. You're not going to tell someone about your love of spandex Japanese children heroes and still be considered a mainstream dude. Still, it's pretty awesome being at Japantown, and just hearing a group of people talking about Den-O.

What I worry about is the quality of the official subs. Anyone seen the Ultraman subs on crunchy who can report on their quality?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Is Tokusatsu becoming too mainstream?

Post by Lunagel »

I think part of it is due to the history of official subs is kinda shitty. 10 years ago if a series was licensed you'd have no guarantee they wouldn't tear it a new one and change everything you loved about it. You only need to look at Sailor Moon, One Piece, Robotech, or numerous other series for that. Recently they've been getting much better about not changing shit but then look at the new Crunchyroll Garo subs and the change from "Priest" to "Alchemist". In the end, the official subs are all about money and getting a product out there, whereas the fansubs are about heart.

That's not to say there aren't some shitty fansubs out there though.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Crunchyroll doesn't have Garo but Funimation.
Kamen_Rider_Shiki
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Malika
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
Favorite Band: Uverworld
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Garo
Quote: "Living by supporting eachother is the game called life," so why can't I get a girlfriend?
"Nobody's Perfect," until you fall in love with them.

Post by Kamen_Rider_Shiki »

Does that include the rest of the Garo series?
Favorites:
Kamen Rider - Black, Agito, W, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid
Super Sentai - Jetman, Megaranger, GoGo-V, Shinkenger, ToQger
Other - Garo, Ryukendo, Rescue Force
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

If crunchy roll takes my kamen rider away from you guys I'm going to cry :(
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

No, as far as we know they only have the Garo anime. I honestly can't see the original Garo series getting licensed.
ElKevo86
7X
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Quote: "I just tell the truth. If that hurts you, that's your fault."

Post by ElKevo86 »

I feel the same way about toku going "mainstream" as I did/do about comic books going "mainstream", it's gonna cheapen the quality of the things we (the longtime fans) have enjoyed because it's gonna get watered down for mass consumption. Just look at the Zyu cover, "Before Power Rangers There Was...". I understand wanting to get some of the Power Rangers fanbase to spend money on the set but will the cross over really be big enough to support future boxset releases? I'd say no but I don't really follow PR fandom anymore so I could be wrong. I think it's cool there seems to be an interest in licensing these properties but I don't exactly have confidence that any American company could do them justice.
CrazyBlaze
Infinity
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: TOKU!
Quote: Finished: Sentai: Dairanger, Kakuranger, Abaranger, Dekaranger. Magiranger, Bokuenger, Go-onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters, Kyrouranger

Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Agito, Faiz, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim

Watching: Gekiranger, ToQer, Drive

Post by CrazyBlaze »

I'm conflicted. On one hand I love seeing this stuff become more and more official. On the other I love fan subs. I love the heart, love and care put into them. The time and dedication from the people who do this have my unending admiration. I've always said that I think companies should look to fan subbers when releasing official products. For one they care and for another most of the work may often be done already and as long as they provide reasonable compensation for said work I don't see why both sides couldn't come to an agreement. Maybe there is some legal issue with it but I do think it's the best way to go.
Shonen King
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Natsuki Kato
Favorite Actor?: Tetsuo Kurata
Favorite Band: Luna Sea
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by Shonen King »

I'm concerned with video quality too. Everything Shout factory releases as far as toku is concerned seems cheap. The covers are generic and the video sources are not the best. Sometimes they seem like quickie releases to make a fast buck. I'd would much rather support sub groups who actually love the programs.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I think though, if official subs are put out, there will always be websites/groups that will apply the script to a higher quality source or maybe tidy up the script.

I suppose its good. It means groups have more time to focus on other series that people want to see that don't have the attention to warrant licensing.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

OOOKaiser wrote:If crunchy roll takes my kamen rider away from you guys I'm going to cry :(
Not Crunchy exactly, but, too late, Rider's already started being taken. :P
And yes, I'm shameless plugging there.

I'd say more but, Catastrophe's said a good amount of what I would so... I agree with him.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

This probably doesn't mean much since I've only been a toku fan for about 2 years but waiting for the subs, talking to the people who translate and asking them what this means or how that word or whatever relates to something in the show it feels like a part of the fandom as well. At least to me anyhow. For that to be gone would be a bit saddening.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

I don't have a comment really at the moment. In all honesty, I really don't give a flying crap if the subs are 100% accurate, as long as I can understand what the hell is going on, I'm good. What DOES bug me however is when a series that I love that get's licensed to be steamed uses the original terms and names for 65-75% of the season/series and then starts to use the terms used in the dub. The second to last episode of Digimon Adventure 02 does that on Netflix, but that was a while ago so they might have fixed it, but I'm not sure. As for the Zyuranger DVD release, as long as the key terms and names are the original, then I'm ok.
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

The biggest concern for me is what terms/names are used in the "official" sub. Would it make sense to change Bandora to Rita? Or changing Zyusouken to the Dragon Dagger? as far as streaming goes (how would you steam the episodes?) i dont really use such sites so i cant comment on that.
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

That cover is hideous.

It reminds me of the box art of those terrible anime adaptations in the 80s and early 90s. You know, the kind that you can't even really call dubs because they've changed so much and/or even added footage from another show, like Voltron or Robotech.

If I buy this thing and find that they've spliced in stuff from Dai or Kaku, I'm going to go on a murderous rampage.

Return to “Off Topic”