Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Hey my harddrive died

Post by takenoko »

Huh, that's a good question. I honestly don't know why the computer failed. I was able to get into the bios and all that, but anything related to the harddrive just acted like it wasn't there. I hated the old setup anyway, since this was a real small case, all the stuff was crammed together with no potential for expansion.

Anyway, you guys have been real awesome with the support and suggestions. I really appreciate it all and feel like I've learned some things.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:Huh, that's a good question. I honestly don't know why the computer failed. I was able to get into the bios and all that, but anything related to the harddrive just acted like it wasn't there. I hated the old setup anyway, since this was a real small case, all the stuff was crammed together with no potential for expansion.

Anyway, you guys have been real awesome with the support and suggestions. I really appreciate it all and feel like I've learned some things.
So it works with the enclosure but not your system? Okay, yeah, that's a bit unnerving. It could be a SATA port going bad, or it could be the SSD and you just got lucky after it had a time-out. Either way backing everything up is usually the right call.:) And maybe it is time to get rid of that old system after all...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I copied most of the important bits to my laptop, but I'll probably do it again when I get a new system set up. Definitely feel like I can't trust this harddrive or the old system anymore.

Once I'm set up I'll do a more thorough back up on my externals.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Just my two bit information but SSD's have a write lifetime so when you fill it it is gone i am not sure about read but supposedly it should have a read lifetime as well. So keeping them as storage is good idea if you are not moving things around too much however if you are making too much copy/paste moving around than ssd wont survive.
geno
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by geno »

Ah small case generally equals crappy air flow so heat becomes a major factor and heat is the enemy of computers, yet its the one thing they produce a lot of.

Yes an SSD just like a HDD has a lifespan but its usually much longer, this goes into it more. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-ssds-so ... -lifespan/

Now for a new system depending on requirements/budget I would go with a Intel i7 series processor retail box which includes heatsink and fan, Intel, Asus or MSI motherboard, Kingston or Corsair for the memory, you can kind of cut yourself short here but I would got with a minimum 4GB though 8GB would be a better base but its fairly easy to add more ram at a later date as long the specs match the existing. A Corsair, Thermaltake or NZXT case at least a mid tower though I would go a full tower but whatever size if you see it with everything in the case to judge the airflow would be important. Fans for the case though some are included. A modular power supply as it would help reduce the number of cables that can effect air flow. Hard drive either a SSD for the boot drive along with a few important programs then a more traditional hard drive for data storage, I know Seagate offers a hybird drive that has both SSD and traditional tech in a single drive but never used but since Seagate and Western Digital are pretty much the only hard drive brands left kind limited even if you get one that isn't odds are they have a stake in the brand. On the SSD front few more choices. Optical if have need/want for one, though to load Windows you need to make sure the new motherboard supports booting to usb and/or the optical drive if you put one in.

Return to “Off Topic”