Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Toku things you remember that make you feel old

Post by takenoko »

I remember when people complained that DekaRanger was no good because it was episodic, didn't have a central villain, and had too many rangers.

I remember when people complained that Ryuki ruined Riders because there were evil Riders and that there were too many of them.

I remember when henshin belts didn't always talk or sing or do a drawn out dance every time the guy needed to transform.

I remember when Femme was the only female Rider.

I remember early Blade when no one could tell the difference between the main guys and people thought the series was boring.

I remember when people watched the final episode of Faiz, and realized that was the end of that story and that they weren't getting anymore.

I remember when toku was still on VHS. I think my DekaRanger Super Video was on a VHS.

I remember when we watched the first episode of Garo and had doubts about the show because of its reliance on CGI.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Toku things you remember that make you feel old

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Somehow, thanks to Shin Godzilla, I remember the actor who played Bandora's kid Kai, Issei Takahashi. The guy's now grown up. Now that I've mentioned it, ShinGoji has some Toku actors in it.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Huh. It seems like a lot of kid actors burn out or leave the industry fast, so it's nice to know that guy stuck around.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

takenoko wrote:I remember early Blade when no one could tell the difference between the main guys.
Was this an actual problem and not just me?? Blade was one of my first rider shows I watched, and I literally wrote in my journal that I was having a hard time telling them all apart!

For me...... I don't know if I can really say anything besides point out the differences between Heisei and Neo-Heisei stuff. Henshin belt jingles, abundance of toy gimmicks, etc.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
TypicalStandUser
Save the life

I remember cursing like Bradley Cooper after watching Shadam's death on Dairanger.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

What? When did you watch that? How old are you?
TypicalStandUser
Save the life

takenoko wrote:What? When did you watch that? How old are you?
I don't want to disclose my age.

I watched Dairanger in 2006 through a classmate's video archive of raw sentai episodes.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Take was just excited at the idea he might not be the only old man around.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

Seeing CRT-based stuff in the shows. This is very prevalent in MegaRanger because of it's partial computer-based theme.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life

Yellow Four 1's death. I got chills the moment she passed and then the rest of the Biomen defended her corpse.
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

I remember Gingaman, my very first Sentai, which I discovered back when it aired. I was browsing the Internet when I stumbled upon a short Real Player file of the Seijuu merging into Gingaioh for the first time. I was immediately hooked.

It wasn't long before I found a site (now long dead) which I think was called "Sentai Cinema". It was mostly short clips of openings, endings, transformations, role calls, etc. with the occasional full episode. All of this was in Real Player format. If you've never experienced Real Player, then go find a Youtube video and set it to its lowest quality. Done it? What you're seeing is still ten times better than a typical Real Player video.

I remember when I saw a picture of Gogo Five for the first time. I thought the suits looked stupid. However I ended up loving Gogo Five, and nowadays I give new shows a much better chance.

I remember the excitement when Kamen Rider Kuuga aired, and Kamen Rider returned after a long period of relative dormancy. Though I didn't have to wait very long since I started watching tokusatsu only two years before that. ^^;;;

I also remember the controversies surrounding Ryuki. I remember rumors that claimed the show's ratings were terrible. That it was going to be cancelled after 35 episodes, and that the movie was called "Episode Final" because of that. Personally, I was obsessed with the show. I scoured the Internet until I found every episode along with the movie, the 13 Riders Special, Ryuki vs Agito, and I watched it all raw. The hunt for all those files took a very long time. I recall using WinMX a lot, and visiting several Portuguese fan sites.

I remember people posting episode summaries on alt.tv.sentai. Ones that had been run through Babelfish and came out rather wonky on the other side. The bizarrely translated Hurricanger summaries kept referring to Gouraiger as "Gouraijar". Because of that, some people claimed that "Gouraijar" was the correct spelling because there was "no such word as 'Gouraiger'."

I remember people insisting that "Denjiman" was an incorrect spelling because "Denziman" appears in English in the show. Nowadays it seems that everyone has accepted "Denjiman". And yes, I know that it's all about personal romaji preference, but back then I rarely ever saw it written with a "j".

I remember how rare it was to find fansubbed tokusatsu shows. The original Gingaman fansub consisted of one tape with four episodes, but only the first two were subbed. That was it. Other VHS fansub groups would work on random episodes which I can only assume were picked by throwing darts at a board covered in numbers. You'd have shows where only episodes 4, 8, 13, 19, 21, etc. were translated.

I remember my first visit to an Asian market and finding a box of tiny Megaranger toys. It was the only piece of tokusatsu merchandise I'd ever found at the time, so it was like stumbling across a unicorn.

I remember asking a local comic book store's employee if they happened to have any Sentai merchandise. The guy gave me a funny look and said, "Do you mean 'hentai'?" A friend of mine had a similar experience a couple of years later, this time at a completely different store that was several states away.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Haha, all those anecdotes are great!

I kind of feel like just because the show is in Japanese, there's always going to be a bit of school yard knowledge that goes into how people spell character names and stuff.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

I remember my first time watching Super Sentai when my parents, after we went on vacation to Vietnam in 2005, or was it 2004, which I initially thought it was just Power Rangers Ninja Storm only by coincidence it was Hurricanger, the last episodes of it which I wasn't aware of at the time

I remember seeing Kiva for the 1st time and thought was it something from either Super Sentai or Power Rangers at the time with the first scene I remember was in episode 12 where Ixa thought he shot down Kiva

I remember introducing my older cousin to Kamen Rider by placing the phone by a laptop speaker and letting him hear the clips of Kabuto play out

I remember thinking Kamen Rider was the darkest thing I have ever seen since I've seen clips of Faiz
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Huh, is watching Kiva something that makes you old now? Takahashi Yu, who played Yuri, is only 26...
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Wait, what? Seriously? Shit. I rewatched Kiva again about a month ago and definitely doesn't look that young. Maybe it has something to do with the 80s style costumes and hairdo.

Return to “Off Topic”