Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Yuki Jojima
Favorite Band: RIDER CHIPS
Quote: "My life is burning bright!" -Takeru Tenkuji

Is the toku fandom bad?

Post by nanamarfo »

So I saw a rant by Evil space whale: https://twitter.com/Evilspacewhale/stat ... 5944172544

My response was this:https://twitter.com/marfo343/status/874752673203068932

I can explain things if needed later, writing this quickly before heading somewhere.
NOMarfo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Is the toku fandom bad?

Post by takenoko »

I have a policy of not reading twitter, but my gut instinct is anyone who wants to categorize things into good and bad is oversimplifying it?

There are so many good things about the toku fandom. I've met a bunch of people. A lot of my friends that I regularly talk to I know through this fandom. People have told me stories about having hard times in their lives be eased a little bit thanks to the bit of escapism and happiness that comes from these shows.

Life's messy and trying, so sometimes it's nice to be a part of a world where the heroes win at the end.
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by nanamarfo »

takenoko wrote:I have a policy of not reading twitter, but my gut instinct is anyone who wants to categorize things into good and bad is oversimplifying it?

There are so many good things about the toku fandom. I've met a bunch of people. A lot of my friends that I regularly talk to I know through this fandom. People have told me stories about having hard times in their lives be eased a little bit thanks to the bit of escapism and happiness that comes from these shows.
That's what I believe. I have a family. A family that shares and understands my interests, because every thinks PR,SS and KR is for kids.
NOMarfo
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It is for kids, but who cares. Why shame people for liking their hobbies, regardless of whatever it is?
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

I wouldn't blame this person for how bad the toku fandom can be but there is some good since I met new friends through it.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

All fandoms have some good and bad in them, but it's unfair to say they're either all good or all bad.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

From the sounds of it, they spend too much time on /m/ on 4chan. The whole board is full of shitposting so who really cares what people say?

I think Take brings up a good point. At the heart of it, these a glorified toy commercials that are made for children. There is nothing wrong with enjoying them, but if you get super offended if someone likes Wizard, then perhaps you need to get some more hobbies in real life?
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Take really hit the nail on the head. Humanity is too messy to be put into simple good/evil boxes.

For me personally, finding tokusatsu literally changed my life for the better - no exaggeration. I have derived so much joy and made so many connections/friends through it. And yeah, sure, tough times have been had, but what thing doesn't go through rough patches? Perhaps this person has just become jaded and needs to take a step back. I know I ended up taking a break from tokusatsu for a while (partially unintentionally, but even so).
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I mean, there's nothing worse than being in a fandom, and running into a person and going "Oh no, this guy doesn't represent me at all." But as long as they're not doing anything to bother you, why make a big deal about it? It's a big fandom, there's plenty of room for whoever wants to be a part of it.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

then there are those who are just too stubborn to learn that and will then be considered infamous among others because they will enter a zone in a fandom they don't like just to shit talk them no matter what
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by nanamarfo »

Catastrophe wrote:From the sounds of it, they spend too much time on /m/ on 4chan. The whole board is full of shitposting so who really cares what people say?
Who uses 4chan?
NOMarfo
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

takenoko wrote:People have told me stories about having hard times in their lives be eased a little bit thanks to the bit of escapism and happiness that comes from these shows.

Life's messy and trying, so sometimes it's nice to be a part of a world where the heroes win at the end.
I definitely agree. I think this point is related to another one many Western storywriters tend to miss: that it's okay to have good guys who are just good. No need to give Professor X an ulterior motive or have Superman kill someone on his first outing. One reason I particularly like the Ultra Series is that nearly all its heroes are beings of light who are incredibly righteous. I'm fine with stories that ask moral questions about their heroes along with their villains, but I don't want to watch something about grim amorality with heroes little better than the villains. With all the troubles and tribulations of day to day life, there's a lot to be gained from admirable heroes.

As for the fandom, my experience of it has been quite wonderful. When people can write paragraph after paragraph--even of criticism--to review even one video, I think it shows that they really care about the subject, rather than that they just hate the video/series. As well, as the toku fandom does things like continuously fansub yet-unlicensed shows, translate an otherwise throwaway Jark Matter language (and then make a whole font on it), and even produce something as large-scale as Pacific Rim, I'm seeing a lot of dedication.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

nanamarfo wrote:Who uses 4chan?
Plenty of people. It's just an image board like Futaba Chan were you can talk about tonnes of shit, not some depraved hive of internet trolls and hackers. It's just because it's totally anonymous, its a lot more volatile than other message boards.

The trick is to not take anyones opinion seriously.
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by nanamarfo »

Catastrophe wrote:
nanamarfo wrote:Who uses 4chan?
Plenty of people. It's just an image board like Futaba Chan were you can talk about tonnes of shit, not some depraved hive of internet trolls and hackers. It's just because it's totally anonymous, its a lot more volatile than other message boards.

The trick is to not take anyones opinion seriously.
Ok. I knew of the site, but besides game leaks, I never use it.
NOMarfo
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by nanamarfo »

Mxylv wrote:

As for the fandom, my experience of it has been quite wonderful. When people can write paragraph after paragraph--even of criticism--to review even one video, I think it shows that they really care about the subject, rather than that they just hate the video/series. As well, as the toku fandom does things like continuously fansub yet-unlicensed shows, translate an otherwise throwaway Jark Matter language (and then make a whole font on it), and even produce something as large-scale as Pacific Rim, I'm seeing a lot of dedication.
Agree 100%.
NOMarfo

Return to “Off Topic”