Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Taking a break from weekly translations

Post by takenoko »

BuraddoRun wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:13 pmAnd I'm currently watching ToQger, which is AMAZING!
I love Toqger! It's so underrated!

I did: Agito, Ryuki, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Amazons. Then Deka through Go-Busters, Toqger through KyuuRanger

Luna did: Drive, Ghost, Build, Kyouryuuger

Xiiliea did: Ex-Aid, Build

Who did 555?

I wonder if there's translation styles that make us distinct enough to tell the difference?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I did 555, although that was when I was a baby translator so looking back on it a lot of the dialogue is a bit stilted and overly literal.

As we all tend to qc each other's work I'd say our translating styles get pretty meshed together. If you look at the original scripts before qc then I think a style emerges.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

A big thank you takenoko. Your work means a lot for many fans.

I really enjoyed QCing shows which you translated and primarily that's because it was all a learning process for me too.

I do get what you say about recent sentai and rider shows being disappointing; it has led me to taking short breaks from QCing them for the same reason.

TVN is blessed to have Luna and xiiliea continue translating these shows, so let's all support them.
Behold the Emperor!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Slowking wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:41 pmTVN is blessed to have Luna and xiiliea continue translating these shows, so let's all support them.
It's their burden now. Godspeed, ladies.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

No pressure!
Behold the Emperor!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Aww, well this is a shame. You're practically an institution within an institution, Takenoko. The north star in the far east escapades of a bunch of westerners, even. :o

Luna and xiiliea will of course do fine on their own, but I don't imagine it'll be quite the same as before. Every translator leaves their mark in some fashion or another.

Anyhow, thank you for everything you've done over the years. It's difficult to find time to just watch all of these releases, so I have no idea how you've found the time to do all the translating and QC this requires.

And just because you're no longer translating, I hope this doesn't mean you won't keep writing up episode commentaries. Along with the language, you have a great understanding of the shows and the tropes, so your commentary often very enlightening.:)

PS And if we're going on about old series, I've always thought a full HD release of Gekiranger would be wonderful. It's a fantastic series, and as it was originally released in XviD, a modern release would look quite a bit better
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Luna and xiiliea will of course do fine on their own, but I don't imagine it'll be quite the same as before. Every translator leaves their mark in some fashion or another.

I'll probably bug them with stuff in QC. Unless the shows get so bad that I hit the escape button~

>PS And if we're going on about old series, I've always thought a full HD release of Gekiranger would be wonderful. It's a fantastic series, and as it was originally released in XviD, a modern release would look quite a bit better

I'd love it if Toei would release Blu-rays of all their shows, but I feel like they're just going to put their stuff on their Toei Channel instead. Geki is commonly cited by people to be some of our poorest work, so it'd be nice to redo that as well.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 am I'd love it if Toei would release Blu-rays of all their shows, but I feel like they're just going to put their stuff on their Toei Channel instead. Geki is commonly cited by people to be some of our poorest work, so it'd be nice to redo that as well.
Oh. I was under the impression that Gekiranger already received a Blu-ray release, which is what you guys used for the one-off HD encode of episode 1. Was that not the case?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It was a raw that we found one day for Geki 01 HD not a Blu-Ray.
musique
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Kamen Rider/PGSM
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Favorite Band: Within Temptation
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Lolita Clothing

Post by musique »

takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:51 am Maybe I should specify that I will still be translating Princess Jellyfish, just not either of the series from Toei that, if I have any claim to fame, I have been known to work on.

I've been working on Kamen Rider and Sentai on a weekly basis since 2004 with Deka and Blade. I was way slower and worse back then, and I think we didn't release the final episode of Deka till Magi's finale even. I'd like to think that I've been constantly learning and growing since then, and that I still am evolving even now.

Translation is an amazing amount of work. It's not just knowing Japanese, or knowing English, or knowing how to convey a thought or emotion, or working under a time limit, or considering the length the sub appears on screen. It's all those things and the gulf between making a passable translation to one that's even a modicum of good is a great one. The difficulty is sort of what makes it fun for me. I'll never be a great translator, and honestly, I think I'd better serve in QC/editing work, but thank you to those of you who've specifically chosen to watch this group's work and to anyone who's said nice things about us in the past.

I'm glad to have made it this far. Realistically, it's not like I could have translated these shows forever until the end of time, and this day had to come eventually. I don't think most fansub groups end up lasting more than a few years, so it's just nice to be around still.

You'll be in good hands with Lunagel and Xiiliea, who are both really talented and amazing translators. It's always an honor to work with them. I think a lot of the shows are a lot better when Luna and I clash on things, personally.

As for why I'm stepping away, between the last few Toei series, specifically the last 3 Sentai series, the current state of Toei, and seeing the writer for Lupin VS Pat, it's time to step away. I'll always be grateful to Wizard because Nakayama Erina as Medusa was amazing, but I wouldn't have lost anything if I never saw Jyuohger. I know some people on Tumblr like KyuuRanger, but I feel like these shows are killing my enthusiasm, and if the person going deep into the show isn't digging it, it's hard for me to imagine this fanbase feels much different.

I'd rather think positively on the matter and just refocus on past series that I want to redo. Like, I want to finish redoing Decade in Blu-ray. I want to do the same with Kabuto. Maybe at long last I'll get to remaster Transformers Super Link off the DVDs like I've always wanted. There's always plenty of good stuff that we can be working on that isn't mediocre to bad.

Who knows, maybe after a year, I'll feel like one of the Toei series of 2019 looks interesting and I'll be allowed to translate for it.
Hey! Sorry a bit late. I hope that all is going well with the break!

I've kept up with Kamen Rider, and the current Sentai, but until lately I haven't been reading the boards very much. I always enjoy your takes on each episode though, Takenoko! The reason I've been gone so much is actually due, a bit, to you all though. I decided to go back to school to become a Japanese translator because I love the work that this group does. I've watched other groups subs, but they are never as good as TV-Nihon's. I really hope that one day, I could actually work with the group. I'd love to provide translations to these wonderful shows for others to enjoy. Thank you for all the hard work! To get completely sappy, I also want to say thank you for changing my life. After I became disabled and had to give up school, work, social life, etc., I was very lost. I eventually found your subs, and a new hobby. Now, those subs have given me a new dream and lease on life. I'll never be able to repay you guys for that! I hope to continue enjoying the group, both the videos and the people.

Okay, back to lurking for me!

Diana (aka musique)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Hi! Cool nick and avatar.

Haha, not much of a break I'm afraid. I ended up helping with LVSP for Luna and then took over for Zi-O, and then Jinga started. Always meant to do more during my break. Maybe I did some stuff, don't remember?

>I decided to go back to school to become a Japanese translator because I love the work that this group does. I've watched other groups subs, but they are never as good as TV-Nihon's. I really hope that one day, I could actually work with the group.

Hey, if you ever want any advice or have any questions, always feel free to ask. We can always use a good qcer, and even translator if you want to take the plunge someday. Just let me know if you're interested

>Thank you for all the hard work!

No problem! It's fun to do for the most part.

>To get completely sappy, I also want to say thank you for changing my life. After I became disabled and had to give up school, work, social life, etc., I was very lost. I eventually found your subs, and a new hobby.

Oh wow, thank you. I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you've found a new dream. I think it's very important to find your own purpose or meaning, even if it's different from what everyone else thinks is important.

>I hope to continue enjoying the group, both the videos and the people.

Please do! Glad to have you!

Return to “Off Topic”