Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Taking a break from weekly translations

Post by takenoko »

Maybe I should specify that I will still be translating Princess Jellyfish, just not either of the series from Toei that, if I have any claim to fame, I have been known to work on.

I've been working on Kamen Rider and Sentai on a weekly basis since 2004 with Deka and Blade. I was way slower and worse back then, and I think we didn't release the final episode of Deka till Magi's finale even. I'd like to think that I've been constantly learning and growing since then, and that I still am evolving even now.

Translation is an amazing amount of work. It's not just knowing Japanese, or knowing English, or knowing how to convey a thought or emotion, or working under a time limit, or considering the length the sub appears on screen. It's all those things and the gulf between making a passable translation to one that's even a modicum of good is a great one. The difficulty is sort of what makes it fun for me. I'll never be a great translator, and honestly, I think I'd better serve in QC/editing work, but thank you to those of you who've specifically chosen to watch this group's work and to anyone who's said nice things about us in the past.

I'm glad to have made it this far. Realistically, it's not like I could have translated these shows forever until the end of time, and this day had to come eventually. I don't think most fansub groups end up lasting more than a few years, so it's just nice to be around still.

You'll be in good hands with Lunagel and Xiiliea, who are both really talented and amazing translators. It's always an honor to work with them. I think a lot of the shows are a lot better when Luna and I clash on things, personally.

As for why I'm stepping away, between the last few Toei series, specifically the last 3 Sentai series, the current state of Toei, and seeing the writer for Lupin VS Pat, it's time to step away. I'll always be grateful to Wizard because Nakayama Erina as Medusa was amazing, but I wouldn't have lost anything if I never saw Jyuohger. I know some people on Tumblr like KyuuRanger, but I feel like these shows are killing my enthusiasm, and if the person going deep into the show isn't digging it, it's hard for me to imagine this fanbase feels much different.

I'd rather think positively on the matter and just refocus on past series that I want to redo. Like, I want to finish redoing Decade in Blu-ray. I want to do the same with Kabuto. Maybe at long last I'll get to remaster Transformers Super Link off the DVDs like I've always wanted. There's always plenty of good stuff that we can be working on that isn't mediocre to bad.

Who knows, maybe after a year, I'll feel like one of the Toei series of 2019 looks interesting and I'll be allowed to translate for it.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Re: Taking a break from weekly translations

Post by TorchWood »

Thank you Takenoko.

So, which series was your favorite in translating?
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Hmm, good question. This might just end up being a list of my favorite series in general.

Prior to 2009, I guess MagiRanger would be my favorite Sentai. It had great story and characters. Translationwise, trying to figure out if there was a logic to the spells and the way they were formatted was kind of neat.

On the Rider end, either Blade or Agito. If you like who you're writing for, it makes the work a lot easier. That's sort of why Kabuto is such a fun series to work on.

After 2009, definitely Go-Busters. It had great characters, an amazing antagonist in Escape, and the writing, action, and mecha was superb. Gokaiger is a close second, with its cast just oozing with charisma and charm.

On the Rider end, it's Gaim, hands down.

Although Shinkenger and Decade were good shows in their own right. Whether you think Decade was a successful anniversary project or not (especially in light of Gokaiger which came afterwards) it was an ambitious project with a fun cast and an interesting take on the Heisei Rider series beforehand. If you want to argue that Decade ruined everything afterward because everything is an anniversary now, then sure, onore Decade and all that.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

It's sad when heard that you will leave the translation in this year.

So can i ask you a question? Who is your favorite writer in Sentai and Rider?
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I am amazed you have kept at it for as long as you have. Working on a show that doesn’t interest or entertain you is hard to do (Dogu and Rescue Force immediately come to mind). Not to mention a person wants to have a life and that can leave little time for the work put into subbing.

Enjoy your life and work on the shows that you can connect with. There shouldn’t be an obligation to do every Sentai and Rider show. This is for fans by fans, and if you’re not a fan, don’t worry about it. Someone somewhere will get to it, even if that means licensing, like a lot of Sentai now is.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Just to make things clear, I'll be doing Lupin VS Pat and Xiiliea will be continuing with Build so there should be no disruption to the weekly release schedule.
Makai_Knight
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Mele, Moune, Sela
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Makai_Knight »

Thanks for all this hard work. I can understand that you need a break. Not only with you being disappointed of Super Sentai the last three years, but working on weekly shows since 2004 must be exhausting. I remember a time where I nearly lost faith in Super Sentai, too. It was right after Goseiger, because it was the third Super Sentai show in a row I didn't really like. But then Gokaiger came, and it brought back my interest for Super Sentai. Since Gokaiger, there wasn't any Super Sentai show I didn't like. Sure, Ninninger was the weakest Super Sentai show in the last 7 years, but I still liked it. Maybe one time there will be a Super Sentai show that will bring back your interest. Even Lupin vs. Pat could be that show.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

kangchan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:48 am It's sad when heard that you will leave the translation in this year.

That's that's very kind. That'd be Kobayashi Yasuko hands down. She knows how to give you the feels. Her works make you care about these shows, and tokusatsu is really missing her presence with these recent years. (Mini bio: TimeRanger, Ryuki, Sailor Moon Live Action, Den-O, Shinkenger, OOO, Go-Busters, Toqger, Zero -Black Blood-. As well as many other series that she's contributed to)

Kouga! I've missed you man, we need to catch up sometime. I hope you're doing well too.

> I remember a time where I nearly lost faith in Super Sentai, too. It was right after Goseiger

Ah, hahah. Well here's hoping that Lupin and Pat will turn things around. I don't mind being wrong in my expectations.

In general, I don't have any love loss for shows that other group members ended up translating instead of me. But one show that I do regret giving up is Kyouryuuger, which Luna did the translation for. That show just seemed like a lot of fun in the end. So sometimes goofy series have a way of turning around and surprising you.
JKPhage
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by JKPhage »

Thanks for all the hard work you've put in over the years! I've watched and loved many of the series you translated over that span of time so I hope you'll enjoy working on Princess Jellyfish and perhaps find something to spark your interest again!

If you're a bit burnt out on the latest Toei stuff, have you considered possibly rewinding a little bit and perhaps working on some of the classic sentai series that remain untranslated? There's a wealth of projects there from Bioman, Flashman and Denziman all the way back to Gorenger. I've always viewed TV-Nihon as the place to go for Sentai/Toku translations so I for one would be thrilled to see you put your talents to work on something like that without having to burn yourself out by cranking episodes out non-stop.

Whatever you may choose to do, I hope you enjoy it, and I'll look forward to seeing more from you in the future hopefully!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Can't blame you. I remember having to force myself to watch Ghost every week and wanting to end myself because of it, I couldn't imagine having to spend the time translating it as well.

Hopefully something comes up in the future that reignites your interest for translating. Also, please keep watching the new series, I need at least one other person that agrees with my jaded old man opinions of shows like Ex-Aid and Kyu.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

JKPhage wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:59 amIf you're a bit burnt out on the latest Toei stuff, have you considered possibly rewinding a little bit and perhaps working on some of the classic sentai series that remain untranslated?
Maybe! I do want to go over some of our older scripts and just do a remaster off Blu-rays. We'll see what happens!
Catastrophe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:16 am Can't blame you. I remember having to force myself to watch Ghost every week and wanting to end myself because of it, I couldn't imagine having to spend the time translating it as well.

Hopefully something comes up in the future that reignites your interest for translating. Also, please keep watching the new series, I need at least one other person that agrees with my jaded old man opinions of shows like Ex-Aid and Kyu.
I watched Ghost so much that I turned into a ghost myself!

Maybe I'll watch Lupin VS Pat, but this is your last chance Junko!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Junko Komura was the secondary writer for Kamen Rider Wizard and head writer for Doubutsu Sentai Zyuohger
Well fuck.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:43 pm
Junko Komura was the secondary writer for Kamen Rider Wizard and head writer for Doubutsu Sentai Zyuohger
Well fuck.
/me nods

Now you know why I slammed my fist on the eject button.
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

Thank you SO MUCH for all of your hard work over the years, Takenoko! I discovered Super Sentai when Goseiger was airing, and have been a huge fan since. While I scour the internet for subs of all the series, TV-Nihon has always been and remains my favorite fansub group out of them all. The work you guys put into translating and explaining bits of Japanese culture and language that we may not otherwise understand is very much appreciated. Also, the trivia and research you do for each episode is also amazing. You may not be the fastest at releasing each episode, but in my opinion, you guys are the best.

I can't honestly say I know which series you translated compared to Lunagel or Xiiliea, but I've watched all of these shows in full from TVN and loved them all:

Dekaranger
Magiranger
Boukenger
Gekiranger
Go-Onger (my personal favorite, though I'm currently watching another that is close to supplanting it!)
Shinkenger
Goseiger
Gokaiger
Go-Busters
Kyouryuger

And I'm currently watching ToQger, which is AMAZING!

On the Rider Side, I've watched only Decade and Gaim, and I loved them both as well.

Anyhow, I'm glad you're not leaving altogether. Thanks again for everything you do and have done, and I look forward to the future of TVN and whatever you decide to work on!

Oh and Lunagel & Xiiliea, thank you for doing Lupin VS Patranger! I'll download each episode, and will watch the 1st as soon as you release it, but it will be awhile before I sit down to watch the full series. Man, ToQger is so great; I hope I'm not TOO disappointed when I get to the following 3 series...
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

takenoko wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 am
kangchan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:48 am It's sad when heard that you will leave the translation in this year.

That's that's very kind. That'd be Kobayashi Yasuko hands down. She knows how to give you the feels. Her works make you care about these shows, and tokusatsu is really missing her presence with these recent years. (Mini bio: TimeRanger, Ryuki, Sailor Moon Live Action, Den-O, Shinkenger, OOO, Go-Busters, Toqger, Zero -Black Blood-. As well as many other series that she's contributed to)
Now I know how you feel about recent Sentais, compare with Kobayashi's work. I'm a fan of her too, I watched all her work on Sentai, Den-O and current watching Sailor Moon, OOO. Hope she will return in Sentai and Rider tv-series soon.

Return to “Off Topic”