Blackcondorguy
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Band: Dinosaur Jr
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Role of writers/directors/producers in toku shows

Post by Blackcondorguy »

Obviously, tv shows are joined efforts and can't be considered to be the work of a single person. Yet, since the 90s, they tend to be associated mainly with the main writer's name or sometimes the main director's.

Since I have no inside knowledge of japanese television, I'm wondering how much that is true. I mean, those are kid shows, so of course the channel and producing company (marketing division and toy company included) will have a say, but do the directing or writing staff have some input early on or are they handled the themes and designs and have to come up with stories to bring them to life?

Also, who has final say on the story? I guess the producers have to give a go before anything is produced and brodcast, but to what extant are the writers free to do what they want with the characters? Can they decide when a new character will show-up, the plot points revealed and such? Do 6th heroes come up around episode 17 because it is better for toy sales or because it works better in terms of story dynamics?

For example, is it the writers' decision to have a new year episode be a plot turnpoint like in Shinkenger? Did they usually do clip shows because producers want them to, to chill out a bit or because they think it is best due to broadcasting issues?
Another example, when Time Fire shows up as an opposite character to Timered, with the design to match, is it because the producing staff came with the idea and the writer had to wrap it in the show or did the writer give the idea to have that kind of character before the designs were made?
Last question (and a non-Kobayashi example, this time), who decides to make Ninninger a show about family heritage once they agreed on a Ninja theme?

If anyone knows, or just has ideas about these questions, I'll be higly interested.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Re: Role of writers/directors/producers in toku shows

Post by kangchan »

You should watch Kamen Rider Den-O Imagin Anime episode 20: Document The Densha Rider (TV Nihon also subbed). It is perfect example of how staff work for new Tokusatsu series. The writer of this episode is Takebe Naomi - who also produce many show of Rider, Sentai.
Blackcondorguy
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Band: Dinosaur Jr
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: Role of writers/directors/producers in toku shows

Post by Blackcondorguy »

Will do, thanks for the advice!

Return to “Off Topic”