Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Oct 22, 2019 T-N turns 17!

Post by takenoko »

Front page post talking about donation drive part 1

One more year till we're a legal adult... (Sorry we're a week late!)

Another year, another anniversary.

Recently, I met Azazel who was with the group since at least 2008. We've hung out in chat for more than 10 years, but it was our first time meeting in person. (He has a really awesome house btw) It's just kind of shocking since we were like "Dang, we've known each other through difference phases of our lives".

Maybe it's me being an old man now, but it makes me really appreciate the online friendships I have. I can't imagine my life without some people, and it makes me regret some of the friendships or relationships that ended badly or just naturally parted the way relationships can.

Feel like I should talk about AI and robots and technology and stuff since Zero-One is the current hotness, but I think my current message is to appreciate your online friends.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: Oct 22, 2019 T-N turns 17!

Post by HowlingSnail »

Congratulations, you're now old enough to drive in the UK!

I've been watching you since 2012, when curiosity got me back into PR, which then led me to discovering Sentai. I started downloading Gekiranger from back when you had barely-functional DDL links. Eventually I just downloaded all of Gokaiger and carried on from there.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Haha. I wish we could get the DDL stuff working again. I wonder what free file hosting sites there are still around

Edit: I guess if you have a dropbox account, send me your info and I can add you to our release folder?
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

Donated. The goal should be $250 higher.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Congrats guys. Keep up the great work!
zeldAIS
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: 音楽とか妖怪のテマ
2nd Favorite Series: スーパー戦隊シリーズ
Dreamy: 松岡茉優Queen
My boom: 漫画,音楽,ドラマ,映画
Quote: "The fan translations community must be helping & understanding each other."
"Quality fan translations take quality time."
Type: INFP Healer

Post by zeldAIS »

Whoa. It's really been that long? I now feel my age haha

I remember the first time I encountered TV-Nihon was because of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. I remember I used to hang out a whole darn lot in an internet cafe that has DSL (as I was only on dial up) just to download from both IRC and torrent the episodes. Eventually found out that the tokusatsu shows I watched as a kid is being subbed consistently by you guys. Then got wow'd with the typesettings and tried my knack with it, relatively reverse engineering some of the effects. Also tried my hands in making karaoke effects. Next thing I know, I applied as staff when there was an opening (that was Chou Ninja Tai Inazuma). I don't think I can beat the effects of the current releases though (as I'm dumbfounded how they are that good already haha).

I apologise if you haven't heard from me for darn quite while.

That's pretty brilliant that you and Azazel met offline, takenoko!

Happy anniversary and many happy returns!

PS:
Spoiler
takenoko wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:56 amMaybe it's me being an old man now, but it makes me really appreciate the online friendships I have. I can't imagine my life without some people, and it makes me regret some of the friendships or relationships that ended badly or just naturally parted the way relationships can.
Source: https://twitter.com/talesofjoonie/statu ... 7704224768
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

Happy Birthday TV-Nihon!

I've been following the group since the Ryuki/Magi times and I have been a QCer for ~8 years. A pretty long time, but filled with great memories! Looking forward to many more :)
Behold the Emperor!
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Post by Dark Ren »

I'm following T-N since the rise of Den-O. So I guess 11 years already and still counting. I'm still visiting your site everyday.

'm glad it's become part of my life and I hope it will for many more years to come
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Awesome, great to hear from you ais! Stop by chat and let us know what you've been up to sometime.

Always good to have you around catastrophe, slowking, and dark ren! Sometimes I wish I had more interesting content topics for people on the forum to discuss.

Thanks to everyone who's donated so far, Tuesday is my late night, but hopefully I can take some time tomorrow after work to send out some personal thank you e-mails.
Sentai_ZXR7
Infinity
Quote: Ready for the Next Challenge

Post by Sentai_ZXR7 »

I can't believe TV-Nihon 17 Anniversary!
I remember when I wanted to watch Kamen Rider, the first one that caught my eye was Kamen Rider Gaim, a fun and fast paced series.
Your group also Translated some Ultraman Series, UltraSeven X, Ultraman Nexus, Ultraman Dyna.
I enjoyed these series so much, now that these and the ones that started it all will be about to be sold in DVD and Blu-ray by Milli Creek (I hope these people include the original audio dubbed versions of Ultraman, Ultraseven, Return of Ultraman and others) If these are just subtitles, then there is no compelling reason to buy, as the works you and other groups did were much better, it will be a rip-off to buy, unless these products are affordable.
For the computer screen, the fonts are quite good, for bigger screen TVs, the fonts may be smaller to watch.
Happy Birthday TV-Nihon! hope to see your crew around next year :)
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Post by Dark Ren »

I'm lurking most of the time. I'm actually following T-N since 2008, but only decided to register in the forum at 2010.

But yeah, 17 years is a long time. I don't think there is another fansub group that last that long. Congratz!

That's make me wonder. Is there any original / founding T-N staff member(s) that still around until now (aside from takenoko, i guess)?
takenoko wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:34 am Sometimes I wish I had more interesting content topics for people on the forum to discuss.
With my new job recently, I barely have free time to watch anything (still at Zero-One Eps 2 :( ). I always wonder how the T-N staff manage their time. So that's why I found this topic and this topic really interesting.

Is there any thread that tell the story of T-N?
darkaura
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by darkaura »

I can't remember when I started following TVN, but I know my friend was watching I think Ryuki at the time. And I already liked PR at that time. I started watching Ryuki with my friend and fell more in love with KR. Then eventually Garo. From that time on I always lurked in the background. In 2012, early 2012, I moved to Japan to fulfill my dream of working here. And that's when I decided to actually join the irc channel. I lurked there for another year and it would be 2013 when I for whatever reason joined in a chat. Then the mentioning of being able to understand a little Japanese. Then the invitation from Takenoko to help with some translation and qc works.

I remember my first translation. It was the song Shocker, Shocking, Shockest. Eventhough I translated it was bad. Take and Luna helped me fix it up. But I remembered how proud of it I was. Then came another song it was for Drive. And again it was bad but hey that's how you learn. I did some other translations more notably one for Ultraman. I can't remember which one it was. I also fixed the wiki for some series, and contributed to the wiki. I'm currently working on a side project that I'm translating, which is going slow, but it's coming along. Who knows maybe for our 20th anniversary it will finally be released.

Now I do some QC here and there, mostly stuff not dealing with the weeklies. But every once in a while I will do the weeklies. I mostly now take care of DVD/Blueray stuff, and webrips now, as well as the tech side of things like the computer we call the capper. Some of you may know the Notebot in the channel that was based off of my original work that got modified. Also if there is software needed I'm usually the one hunting around and finding it.

TVN has become a close family to me especially the other staff members. I feel that I can go to them with just about anything and they will listen. I don't know what I would do without this group. Happy 17th TVN and may you have another 17 more.
kevinlafriday
Infinity

Post by kevinlafriday »

I remember the first rider series i watched was literally Decade, who was supposed to be the end of the "previous" era. It's been 10 years, eh?
teku
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz, Kabuto
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by teku »

Happy belated birthday TVN!
Being here since the dark-themed main website and I think my downloads started from KR Kiva era. Then tried slowly to find KR 555 and Ultraman Nexus.
It's a bit sad to know that Ultraman's content will be lesser and lesser from here.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Wow, 17 years old. I've been around here for a while, but I didn't realize TV-N was quite this old. I figured it was founded later in the decade than it apparently was.

My own business just recently turned 20. So I can safely say that no group or organization makes it this long without some big challenges along the way. So kudos to everyone at TV-N for being able to roll with the punches and keep on going; there's a reason most volunteer-based groups don't last for more than a few years. Making it this far is a testament to all of your hard work.:)

Return to “Off Topic”