1%
No votes
01 or less
No votes

Total votes: 83
whitehelm

Re: What's your TN origin story?

Post by whitehelm »

I don't remember how I heard of TV-N, but I definitely started with Sentai during early Boukenger (after catching up by watching Deka and Magi). I started watching Kamen Rider the next year, but didn't actually catch up until after Den-O ended.
FandomRiderX1
Adventure
Quote: Fourth Doctor: "I tell you, Brigadier, there's nothing to worry about! The brontosaurus is large and placid!"
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by FandomRiderX1 »

Growing up Power Rangers was a forbidden fruit of a show. As far as I knew, it only aired on Toon Disney, a channel I could only get at my grandmother's house. On top of that, my parents had forbidden me from watching it. So I could only watch it when 1. I was at Granny's, 2. it was on, and 3. when my parents weren't around. But by my late middle school years, I had fully discovered the internet and they really had no more control over what I watched. By the end of freshman year of high school, I had watched almost every season of Power Rangers that existed.

By Sophomore year I was researching the show on the PR wiki, and discovered Super Sentai. Out of curiosity, I looked for some copies of Gokaiger, and found the first dozen or so episodes subbed by Grown Ups In Spandex. However, they never did anymore, so continued my hunt, finding a couple of Facebook pages where Sentai and Kamen Rider were posted, and I was hooked. But I found that there was a divide between fans of TV-Nihon and Overtime. I ended up coming down on the side of TV-Nihon because of the small translator notes, and because the brighter colors, unique fonts, and small animations fit much better with the energy of tokusatsu. So I stuck by you guys.

During my freshman year of college, I fell out of toku because I was reliant on Facebook to tell me when new episodes were posted, and that was around the time the "Top Posts" feature got implemented without my knowledge. So I fell out of watching mostly until junior year, where I discovered your full site and figured out how to torrent stuff, and well, the rest is history. These days I try to keep up, but really only one series at a time. I like to wait until a series is done before watching it so that I don't have to worry about watching the movies out of order. Currently, I'm about halfway through LupVPat, and after that I think I'll try Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Blade, Hibiki, and Kabuto, since I want to have watched every Heisei Kamen Rider series before starting Zi-O.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

I've long been interested in Sentai as the source footage of the Power Rangers series. A friend of mine in high school gave me a copy of Super Hero Taisen (subbed by T-N) for me to watch. I thought that the subs were official subs and was amazed by the effects! Since the file was renamed when it was given to me, I had no idea it was from a fansub. I managed to find the site online after a lot of searching, and started to watch Gokaiger and Fourze because of SHT.
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
linusjet
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by linusjet »

i started while i started my first job... it's 16 years ago.. and still counting.. every week is excited as always got new episodes of Kamen Rider and Super Sentai to watch.. I don't think i will ever stop, unless they stop making it.. and i hope TN continue to live on FOREVER.. Thanks for all these years of subbing. :)
JinAkechi
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Samurai Sentai Shinkenger
Dreamy: Megumi Aso
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: None
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Gundam
Quote: People will always be people.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by JinAkechi »

I started with Kamen Rider Decade.

I was tired of watching anime at the time (was finishing Gundam 00), and wanted to watch other Japanese media. I remember seeing a clip on youtube of Kamen Rider Decade (one of the previews, I think, before it aired. December '08 I think).

I recall thinking "that is cool as hell, where do I watch this??" and got led here and one other group. I made it in time to catch Kamen Rider Decade's launch, and compared the two subs and liked T-N's better. It's the style you guys put to it. Sure, the other group released faster, but I feel like the little visual things you guys add make it better.

I stuck with just Kamen Rider for a few years, going backwards from Decade while keeping up with the weekly releases.

For Sentai, I got into SS with Go-Busters (from seeing them in the promos with Fourze/Wizard), but still not into SS as much as Kamen Rider. As such, I often skip a season if I don't really like the suits/zords (though I may revisit one later).

I have a few things left to watch:

Kamen Rider:
Kuuga
Agito
Hibiki

Super Sentai:
Boukenger
Nininger
Kyuranger
Ryusoulger

With work and life in general (also, new hobbies picked up trying to socialize at work), I'm trying to find the time to watch more.

Also some of the dramas you guys do I really liked. Tokusatsu GaGaGa was good and so was Shibuya15. It'd be cool if you did more of those, but I understand the focus is KR/SS. Otherwise, I love the work you guys do.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Aaaah well, the little 'member since' or 'date joined' or whatever words it used I've already forgotten, thing in the forum profile says I've been here 12 years next month. I, vaguely remember first finding TV-N through uploads on youtube, and it had the Den-O / Gekiranger Super Hero Time opener and well... been around since. *shrug*
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

I've been with you guys since Blade, not sure how long that is...
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I started with Gekirangers so about 12 years give or take. I was (and still to a degree) a Power Rangers fan but i think i realized source material was Japaenese way too late and after lost galaxy I lost interest in PR (lack of show in here might effected it) When SPD was released they restarted to release PR in here it was alright i guess but after a couple of years i found a fan translation of magirangers and was like oh they did a Japanese version of Power Rangers............yeah learned it later it was actually opposite so I decided to check newest series and it was when Gekiranger made first debut I have been with Tv-nihon ever since.
Cyberdramon
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Cyberdramon »

How long is forever?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

LOL, I like how some people put down over 17 years. How is that possible???

>I've written a few times before but it doesn't seem to me I've thanked you all enough for your hard work and dedication. Is it even possible to thank you enough? Keep up the good work, and be sure it's very much appreciated!

Thank you! We wouldn't be here without the fans.

I love hearing how people used to get our files in the past. It's really interesting to see how much the tech has changed things (and made things easier for the most part).

>Anyway, that's make me wonder. Is there any original / founding T-N staff member(s) that still around until now (aside from takenoko, i guess)?

I don't even know if I count as a founding member, I was just a guy in the channel. I think Drax was part of the original team since he was providing the Ryuki raws?

> I’m less ashamed of liking things that might, to others, seem juvenile—

That's great. I think there should be less shaming of people for liking things different from the norm.

>Sorry to ramble on. It’s just TV Nihon and the window you’ve opened for me to experience Tokusatsu, that seemed to be missing in my life, and was sorely needed, I just can’t express my gratitude enough.

That's super sweet. Thank you!

>Around sometime on 2012, I was in the first year of my university. I tried to sign in as a member on the forum to identify the sub mistakes. I got the trouble for being repeatedly too annoying and got banned from accessing the mistake thread. I kept downloading stuff for a few months without responding on the forum. After Takenoko paid his money to create our own wiki, I have been actively involved on the wiki since then and being partially involved in QC stuff.

Ah whoops. If I could do things differently, I'd definitely try to resort so much on bans and stuff. I think as I get older, some of the things that bugged me don't bug me as much. At least, hopefully I'm maturing?

>I ended up acquiring my first WD 500GB hard drive in 2009, eventually needing a second one I believe by late 2009 or early 2010.
That kept me good for a while, but by mid 2011, I ended up getting a larger 2TB hard drive, and by early 2015 at 4TB one.
WD was my preference. Archiving is something I learned to be good at. I eventually built spreadsheets to keep track of files,
listing name, format, version #, resolution, corresponding CM files related, quite a challenge.

I love archiving stuff. I want to preserve things for all time lol.

> I even took a Japanese language class in Fall of 2012, and showed my Japanese tutor some of the shows I watched. His favorite I gave to him was Akibaranger. Do I feel old now? Maybe.

Man you like a lot of good shows. Go-Onger is so underrated, I wish more people loved it as much as I did. Anyway, it's always funny telling native Japanese people about tokusatsu. It's sorta niche, so the most charitable response I got was like "Oh yeah, I think my brother watched that as a kid." lol

>11 is missing from the poll. I'm only being pedantic because that's how long I've been following.

No turning it up to 11!

>I steered clear for a few years until I heard he'd handed the group over to takenoko (who I always remember as more of a lurker, very quiet, how things change! :lol:). Now I'm the lurker, basically idling in the channel and collecting the files to archive, despite my interest in Tokusatsu as a genre dying about 10 years ago.

LOL Hariken. Yeah, I made a point of not saying very much the early years. I thought it added to my allure of being mysterious. Now I probably talk too much. I also had a cool setup where my work computer had no internet (ah those were the days) so I could focus on the translation. Now everything has the internet all the time. But I still manage to get a weekly episode translated in about an hourish (after maybe 1/2 hour to an hour of prep work)

>I voted 13 years, but that is just a guess. I suffered a severe head injury in 2006 which caused gaps in my memory, but I know I was following TN at the time. I just don't remember how I found it. As far as I know I've been following TN for as long as I can remember.

Wow, that's quite an origin story. Do we have a lot of people who found us as teens or even kids, out of curiosity? I feel like the boards wouldn't let you join if you were under 13 because of COPPA.

Okay, that's page one responded lol.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

I've been following the group since the Ryuki/Magi times and I have been a QCer for ~8 years. Ryuki was my first rider series and I remember back when early TV-N subs were uploaded on veoh - I think that's how I found out about the group.

Looking forward to many more years of TV-Nihon subs :)
Fat D wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:06 pmKiva was my favorite pre-Decade Rider
Always great to see there are Kiva enthusiasts here!

Also to everyone, feel free to join us on the IRC/discord channel, we are a lively bunch! :)
Behold the Emperor!
Kamen_Rider_Shiki
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Malika
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
Favorite Band: Uverworld
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Garo
Quote: "Living by supporting eachother is the game called life," so why can't I get a girlfriend?
"Nobody's Perfect," until you fall in love with them.

Post by Kamen_Rider_Shiki »

Man, that was literally more than a decade ago. I noticed Power Rangers had got canceled but heard tale of a Samurai Strike Force or something so I looked into it, and low and behold I found out about Shinkenger. So I started watching episodes of it. But then I saw Kaitou in it and discovered Decade and Kamen Riders. At this time though, OOO was just starting up and I learned this place does the best subtitles.

The rest is history.
Favorites:
Kamen Rider - Black, Agito, W, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid
Super Sentai - Jetman, Megaranger, GoGo-V, Shinkenger, ToQger
Other - Garo, Ryukendo, Rescue Force
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I like how the bell curve in years kind of zeniths around 11-13 years. So around the Kabuto, Den-O, and Kiva years.

>I came across TV-Nihon while tying to find a way to watch Super Sentai in college. Started with the currently airing Dekaranger and shortly after I started Faiz and Justiriser after seeing some of the CMs.

Wow, you were here from the beginning then. I really wish I had the time to redo JustiRisers from the DVDs.

Hey Prowl. God I love Camino's Story. That song is tight.

> "Power Rangers is getting cancelled because the next season is too Japanese."

Which show got cancelled?

> (because whoever was uploading the videos didn't remove the title cards), that TV-Nihon was responsible for subbing the show

LOL. Thank goodness for sloppy editing.

>(Shinkenger's crossover episode also introduced me to Kamen Rider Decade.)

Did most people come here for Sentai/Power Rangers, and then transition to Rider?

I remember the Japanese Transformers fansubs. Redoing Super Link and Galaxy off the DVDs is another dream project of mine.

Thanks for being around so long jedimax! I notice your account was made in 2007.

>I´ve stuck like glue since you guys released PGSM, which was in late 2003 i believe?

Yup, 2003! Wow, from the very very beginning.

I always find it fascinating when there's regional localizations that aren't in America, like Bioman in France and the Ryukendo and stuff in the Philippines.

Sup tuss!

>It was a quick Google search for KR Decade with Eng sub.

Thanks, Google!

>Keep up the good works and thank you TN!

Thanks, you too!

>I came on board when you were subbing Faiz and was blown away by Blade! Been a rider/sentai fan ever since! Thank you!!!

Awesome. I wish we could push out the revised versions of Blade the way we did for Faiz.

>I got back into Sentai near the end of ToQger and I figured "hey, those TV-Nihon guys make pretty stylish subs" and so I started downloading your subs.

Thanks! I think the guys and gals who work on the typesetting and effects are amazing. I don't know how they come up with some stuff.

Thanks TankCoyote, and thanks for keeping our ranger chart up to date!

>Eventually got into Garo as well.

Yes, more people need to get into Garo!

>Speaking of which, I have a confession to make. Back when you did Shinkenger, you always plastered "Not for stream" on the sponsor message, but I used your MegaUpload DDL links to watch it through Megavideo all the time, to save me the hassle of downloading. These days, I just let my home server torrent it and then load it on my phone to watch on the train.

Oh, I think that's fine. I think the message was more like people who redistribute our videos for money. When we see bootleg DVDs on the shelf in Chinatown, then it becomes a no-no lol.

>Like the Yugioh Toei series.

Toei Yu-gi-oh was a lot of fun!

And that's page two complete.
Boukensilver06
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Boukensilver06 »

I was a freshman in college in the fall of 06. I remember being a fan of Power Rangers and wondering what would happen next. Shortly after that, I stumbled upon Boukenger (hence my Username), and I realized how much better it was than its American counterpart (even wrote a paper in college about the differences between Japan and America when it comes to TV censorship and I used Sentai vs PR as one example). Shortly after watching it, I noticed the fansubs I was watching were from TV-Nihon so I joined shortly after that I believe.

While I was in the middle of Boukenger, I stumbled across the Faiz henshin scene with Kaixa and Delta. I was immediately fascinated with it, knowing it wasn't Sentai but I wanted to try that series. After finding out it was Kamen Rider, I started getting into that as well. Now, thanks to TV-Nihon, I have seen every rider since Kuuga, every Sentai since Megaranger, Tomica Hero, Keitai Sousakan 7, Garo (all except for the Jinga series so far due to medical issues), and even tried watching Ultraman. I want to give the Metal Hero series a try one day though when I am able to, especially if y'all do the fansubs.
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

takenoko wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:29 pm
Ah whoops. If I could do things differently, I'd definitely try to resort so much on bans and stuff. I think as I get older, some of the things that bugged me don't bug me as much. At least, hopefully I'm maturing?
You can say I was immature during my early days on our wiki. I didn't know how to continue expanding the wiki after completing my main goal which was fixing the chronology to a proper version. I ended up making the Ryuki episode pages without a clear idea, but only adding the sub mistakes. That's when you were unhappy about my actions. Now, I feel very embarrassing to leave the sub mistakes on the wiki pages this long. I hope we can get rid of them someday after addressing them.

Return to “Off Topic”