How much Toei profits with Power Rangers?

Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

How much Toei profits with Power Rangers?

Post by Tokyo »

I was watching a live today and the guys said that, if Hasbro starts producing series independent from Super Sentai, this could put the japanese franchise at risk of extinction. This is a common opinion among Brazilian fans: that what supports super sentai today is the fact that they become (and consequently sells as) power rangers! But no one has any real evidence for that!

Does anyone know if there's any truth in this? Do you guys know how much of Toei's profit with Sentai comes from Power Rangers? Is the franchise at risk if Hasbro decides to not depend on Sentai production anymore?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: How much Toei profits with Power Rangers?

Post by Catastrophe »

How would Power Rangers be 'supporting' sentai? That doesn't make any sense.

Power Rangers whole thing has always been they pay for the license to use any existing footage and fill in the blanks for cheap. If Hasbro decides they want to make their own footage for whatever reason it'll be more expensive than what happens at the moment.

If the toy licensing was truly important, Bandai would have offered a greater bid over Hasbro. Power Rangers has been on life support from a small fanbase for years and is only really being made because it's cheap to do so using the exisiting model.
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Tokyo »

Well, what you say makes sense, but I'd like to point two things:
1- Yes, PR pays for using the existing footage. But is it all that they pay for??? Toy selling and other stuff... Toei doesn't get any slice of it? That's the part that people believe gives good support for the SS franchise.
2-Yes, PR is cheap to produce in the current process. But there is strong rumors that Hasbro will stop using existing footage. We don't know that for a fact yet, but there have been very strong speculation around it.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

"Strong rumors" sounds about as believable as "I have an uncle at Toei"

SS went strong for 15 seasons before PR started and frankly PR has been sporadic at best recently, only making like 1 series in the time that SS makes 2. To Toei, PR is a side hustle. It's a little extra cash but they won't be hurting if it goes away.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

No one knows exactly how any of it is broken down because none of the licensing agreements are available to the public. However, in general it looks like this:

Toei licenses out Sentai to Bandai in Asian markets to make official Sentai merchandise. Toei gets a cut from all the profits sold.
Toei licenses out Sentai in some capacity to Saban Brands (which is owned by Hasbro as part of the toy license bid). While the specifics are unknown, Toei will receive a fee from Hasbro (through Saban Brands). This would typically be a percentage of Power Rangers overall value as opposed to getting a cut of each individual aspect.

If Hasbro decides they don't want to use exisiting series and make their own shit, then theoretically they wouldn't have to pay as much in a fee. I say this because I know Ishimori has production credits on everything Power Rangers ever, so there must be some kind of language that would allow them to make some money in the event that Saban ever decided to do his own shit.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Hasbro has had success with the Lightning Collection, which borrows the mantra from their Transformers toyline in using original designs that adults like. So if they want to make toys from anything that was adapted from Sentai in the first place they should have to pay some form of royalties.

If we're speculating and injecting our own unfounded opinions in, my thought would be that if Hasbro decides to try make their own shows to sell original toys to pay less of a fee, Toei would probably increase the amount it would cost to license anything Sentai as Hasbro would want to keep the Lightning Collection going.
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Tokyo »

Wow! That's a lot of information you guys have. I'm honestly impressed. You're overall opinion is that Hasbro does not put SS at risk. That's my particular opinion as well. But many Brazilian fans think differently. But as I said, they have no evidence for that. They only say that because one famous Brazilian youtuber said so a couple of times, but he stated that this was his personal opinion, and his minions took it as a fact!
Lunagel wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:53 pm "Strong rumors" sounds about as believable as "I have an uncle at Toei"
I understand. The fact is that this rumor started from a blog that allegedly has started rumors in the past and got it right! Because they have some "sources". That's why some people are taking such rumors seriously.

Return to “Off Topic”