Why the Rider and Sentai torrents are gone

Mechafox
Adventure
Alignment: Neutral

Re: Why the Rider and Sentai torrents are gone

Post by Mechafox »

Let's try to keep some calm, there's some very good advice in the comments and alot of speculation.

I'm sure the staff will let us know as more information comes to life, either on the veracity of the notice, or on any real action. It's really great to see the community support and care here, but for now, unless there's practical advice to offer, just a message of support, of what TVN or Toku means to you. What they've done here is play it safe, if the notice is fake then it's pretty easy to restore the torrents, just annoying. If there's even the smallest chance it's legit, then failure to comply has some very steep concequences.

I for one wanna thank TVN, I was a power ranger fan when I was young, and later in life reconnected over mystic force before discovering Boukenger, and this odd related series called Kamen Rider Kabuto. It felt like my childhood heroes were back in a form my older self could enjoy. I've bonded with people over toku and am known in my local boardgame groups for my love of it. Not a lot of official content makes it to Australia. It's made me laugh, it's made me cry, the heroes of justice have helped me feel courage, and I wouldn't have that without TVN.

Thank you for all your hard work, please keep us informed and know that we're here to support you.
Who doesn't like a cyberfox?
Oba chan wa koitteta, mecha no michi o aruiki, kitsune koto tsukasadoru otoko.
Ore no na wa Mecha. Fox.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Ghost23 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:40 pm OH man but why now? For years you guys have been fan subbing KR and Super Sentai and Toei never really cared since it didn't really affected them.
The most likely answer is that it's because Toei is now licensing out contemporary KR. Zero-One has been licensed to Shout, for example. So fansubs are going to start affecting them as they are making a more serious go of licensing this stuff in the west.
Kamen_RIder_Omega
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Kamen_RIder_Omega »

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is Nyaa? i have used Tv nihon for 15 years for all my sentai and kamen rider this sucks as i love Tv nihon was my safe space
Sonicguy001
Go Go!
Quote: I'm a Kamen Rider

Post by Sonicguy001 »

Kamen_RIder_Omega wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 pm Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is Nyaa? i have used Tv nihon for 15 years for all my sentai and kamen rider this sucks as i love Tv nihon was my safe space
nyaa.si is a torrent site which i do NOT recommend you visit.
Sonicguy001
Go Go!

Post by Sonicguy001 »

Sonicguy001 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:59 pm
Kamen_RIder_Omega wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 pm Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is Nyaa? i have used Tv nihon for 15 years for all my sentai and kamen rider this sucks as i love Tv nihon was my safe space
nyaa.si is a torrent site which i do NOT recommend you visit. :wink:
Kamen_RIder_Omega
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Kamen_RIder_Omega »

nyaa.si is a torrent site which i do NOT recommend you visit. :wink:
:wink: definitely wont visit thanks for the warning especially if you can say what ones i should avoid . Greatly appreciated mate!! :D
Bomyne
Go Go!
Favorite series: Zi-O
2nd Favorite Series: Drive
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Bomyne »

Ghost23 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:40 pm OH man but why now? For years you guys have been fan subbing KR and Super Sentai and Toei never really cared since it didn't really affected them. Well I guess it's the end of an era. I've been watch you guy's KR subs since Ryuki and felt that you guys are still the best ones out there. So what are you guys gonna be doing, the KR and Sentai was like the main staple? I just might go to bed and curl in the fetal position and just cry. =(
(Note I'm still not convinced this is a real C&D due to the numerous problems with it)

That is a good question too... They've been going 18 years now, I think they said... and I believe it's naïve to believe that Toei didn't know about TV-N, Overtime, and the other groups before now. So if this was real, why now?
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

Well I would just like to say Thank You to everyone past and present at TVNihon. Thank You for bring us a new KR episode every week. Thank you for sticking with it when a lot of other sites just calls it quits after a year or two. Hey crazy idea, maybe pitch Toei into hiring you guys to sub their KR and Sentai series and get them to start a streaming site for the English speaking countries. That way they don't have to license and just get people to pay them directly. I know crazy right. =P I'm gonna miss watching the KR series with you guy's subs.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Power Ranger license is coming to an end and it was already confirmed there will be no new power ranger series that is based on a super sentai one. I assume Toei decided to license the Super Sentai and Kamen Rider as is to the international market once the current Power Ranger series ends and that means they can't tolerate about fansubs anymore. Before Power Rangers didn't care about fansubs of super sentai because it was a different show and Toei didn2t care about fansubs because the international market was whoever got the power rangers license field therefore it was their responsibility.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Bomyne wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:13 pm That is a good question too... They've been going 18 years now, I think they said... and I believe it's naïve to believe that Toei didn't know about TV-N, Overtime, and the other groups before now. So if this was real, why now?
Oh, they know about the group, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are staff who actually read these boards regularly and watch TVN's subs themselves. SABAN has literally used TVN's works in past, and they (to this day) officially license Super Sentai in the US. I don't think any other fansub group has had that kind of honour.

Bu the thing is, if TOEI pays any attention to this group, then they also know its policies. Any officially licensed shows get pulled, either at announcement or right before release. They did this with Ultraman Nexus some time back. More recently, they pulled both Super Sentai and Ultraman shows as they were licensed out, keeping up ONLY the things which weren't included in those licenses. When Amazons and Kamen Rider the First were licensed, they pulled them, and when those licenses ran out or availability ended, the subs went back up.

And this isn't just because Taka, Luna, and the others are covering their own asses. It's because they have a genuine passion for tokusatsu and do this because they want others to experience it. Hell, quite recently, Taka broke a longstanding rule and brought us the Garo audio collection because most of it was long out of print and almost impossible to find. But if any of those albums are rereleased, you can be sure they'll be removed from the batch torrent.

The letter isn't real. Even outside of a legal department, a representative of TOEI would know how to use proper capitalisation. And they can't use the excuse that they're Japanese because they seem to have no problem with common spelling and grammatical mistakes TOEI is notorious for. Literally every line of that email has serious errors. And the fact that O-T is claiming it's legit because the same email has been sent from the same origin to three fansub groups across multiple countries only seems strange if you don't know about the Twitter incident. I mean, if TOEI is officially licensing a product to a company for an English translation, then why attack a Brazillian group that translates to Portuguese? And if the license is a streaming service, what about South American countries that may be region locked from watching that streaming service or show? O-T staff isn't that gullible.

Also, if you want even more proof this is a fake... just go to YT. All of the channels with TVN's content are completely untouched, but all it takes is about five seconds to have those episodes pulled or monetised (with the money going directly to TOEI). Scammers do this all the time, and it requires no proof on their end for YT to act on the claimed videos, whereas it can take months for the content creator to dispute each claim individually and get content restored (and even if they prove their case, YT sometimes still denies them). Meanwhile, any money the copyright claimant makes remains theirs regardless of the outcome.

If TOEI wanted to shut TVN's KR/SS subs down, the proof positive would have already happened on YT.

I can pretty much guarantee all of the "caution" right now is really because someone on Twitter was stupid enough to send a public comment to a TOEI employee about the letters. TOEI knows about TVN and has allowed the group to continue for 18 years. It knows we (the group and its patrons) actually support TOEI and buy toys and media as a result of this service. But there's a public reputation any large corporation must uphold.

Back in my transhacking days (translating ROM images of old video games), we were well aware of the unspoken policies of video game companies. Nintendo ignored emulation of older games, but would go after distributors of new games (i.e. N64 at the time). Hell, we actually used to tip off Nintendo of N64 piracy attempts all the time, so I can't pretend Nintendo didn't know about us. Activision and Atari both supported the emulation community, and some of us were even aware firsthand of Activision's silent support. But staff of those companies were forbidden to make any public statements regarding the company's support and participation in the community because emulation was a legal grey area (just like fansubs) and saying the wrong thing could hurt their chances of litigating against actual software piracy.

TOEI probably supports TVN and some of the other groups behind closed doors, which is why we've seen TVN's work being used in official products and have had 18 years of subbing without a single complaint from TOEI or its licensees. But someone posting a public message to a member of TOEI staff on a platform like Twitter means TOEI's legal department has to now at least pretend to crack down if we don't react on their behalf. They likely won't actually issue a real C&D to groups, but they'll remember all the fansubbers who show support by "pulling" material until things cool down so their legal department doesn't have to give a public statement regarding that message.

Give it a month or two and we'll be seeing most of the fansub groups getting back to business as if nothing happened. But for now, overreacting will actually earn us some additional brownie points because it shows TOEI which groups exist to their benefit and which groups exist purely for piracy. And it does make for a good excuse to add some more security to the TVN website, as it's kind of overdue.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Sonicguy001
Go Go!

Post by Sonicguy001 »

Ashki wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:49 am
Bomyne wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:13 pm That is a good question too... They've been going 18 years now, I think they said... and I believe it's naïve to believe that Toei didn't know about TV-N, Overtime, and the other groups before now. So if this was real, why now?
Oh, they know about the group, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are staff who actually read these boards regularly and watch TVN's subs themselves. SABAN has literally used TVN's works in past, and they (to this day) officially license Super Sentai in the US. I don't think any other fansub group has had that kind of honour.

Bu the thing is, if TOEI pays any attention to this group, then they also know its policies. Any officially licensed shows get pulled, either at announcement or right before release. They did this with Ultraman Nexus some time back. More recently, they pulled both Super Sentai and Ultraman shows as they were licensed out, keeping up ONLY the things which weren't included in those licenses. When Amazons and Kamen Rider the First were licensed, they pulled them, and when those licenses ran out or availability ended, the subs went back up.

And this isn't just because Taka, Luna, and the others are covering their own asses. It's because they have a genuine passion for tokusatsu and do this because they want others to experience it. Hell, quite recently, Taka broke a longstanding rule and brought us the Garo audio collection because most of it was long out of print and almost impossible to find. But if any of those albums are rereleased, you can be sure they'll be removed from the batch torrent.

The letter isn't real. Even outside of a legal department, a representative of TOEI would know how to use proper capitalisation. And they can't use the excuse that they're Japanese because they seem to have no problem with common spelling and grammatical mistakes TOEI is notorious for. Literally every line of that email has serious errors. And the fact that O-T is claiming it's legit because the same email has been sent from the same origin to three fansub groups across multiple countries only seems strange if you don't know about the Twitter incident. I mean, if TOEI is officially licensing a product to a company for an English translation, then why attack a Brazillian group that translates to Portuguese? And if the license is a streaming service, what about South American countries that may be region locked from watching that streaming service or show? O-T staff isn't that gullible.

Also, if you want even more proof this is a fake... just go to YT. All of the channels with TVN's content are completely untouched, but all it takes is about five seconds to have those episodes pulled or monetised (with the money going directly to TOEI). Scammers do this all the time, and it requires no proof on their end for YT to act on the claimed videos, whereas it can take months for the content creator to dispute each claim individually and get content restored (and even if they prove their case, YT sometimes still denies them). Meanwhile, any money the copyright claimant makes remains theirs regardless of the outcome.

If TOEI wanted to shut TVN's KR/SS subs down, the proof positive would have already happened on YT.

I can pretty much guarantee all of the "caution" right now is really because someone on Twitter was stupid enough to send a public comment to a TOEI employee about the letters. TOEI knows about TVN and has allowed the group to continue for 18 years. It knows we (the group and its patrons) actually support TOEI and buy toys and media as a result of this service. But there's a public reputation any large corporation must uphold.

Back in my transhacking days (translating ROM images of old video games), we were well aware of the unspoken policies of video game companies. Nintendo ignored emulation of older games, but would go after distributors of new games (i.e. N64 at the time). Hell, we actually used to tip off Nintendo of N64 piracy attempts all the time, so I can't pretend Nintendo didn't know about us. Activision and Atari both supported the emulation community, and some of us were even aware firsthand of Activision's silent support. But staff of those companies were forbidden to make any public statements regarding the company's support and participation in the community because emulation was a legal grey area (just like fansubs) and saying the wrong thing could hurt their chances of litigating against actual software piracy.

TOEI probably supports TVN and some of the other groups behind closed doors, which is why we've seen TVN's work being used in official products and have had 18 years of subbing without a single complaint from TOEI or its licensees. But someone posting a public message to a member of TOEI staff on a platform like Twitter means TOEI's legal department has to now at least pretend to crack down if we don't react on their behalf. They likely won't actually issue a real C&D to groups, but they'll remember all the fansubbers who show support by "pulling" material until things cool down so their legal department doesn't have to give a public statement regarding that message.

Give it a month or two and we'll be seeing most of the fansub groups getting back to business as if nothing happened. But for now, overreacting will actually earn us some additional brownie points because it shows TOEI which groups exist to their benefit and which groups exist purely for piracy. And it does make for a good excuse to add some more security to the TVN website, as it's kind of overdue.
is there a way to pin this comment? cause this is a great comment
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Is there any Discord server of TV-Nihon?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Sonicguy001
Go Go!

Post by Sonicguy001 »

msf232 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:15 am Is there any Discord server of TV-Nihon?
yes there is
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Sonicguy001 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:23 am
msf232 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:15 am Is there any Discord server of TV-Nihon?
yes there is
Is it possible to join?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD