Christmas Traditions?

Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Christmas Traditions?

Post by Lunagel »

Post your favorite Christmas/holiday season tradition or memory here. What do you remember best about the holidays or what must you do to get into the holiday spirit? What do you like most about this time of year?

For me, I have to eat Lebkuchen, a German gingerbread cookie that my family usually makes around the beginning of December. This year, I'm embracing a Japanese tradition as well by buying a Christmas Cake (this could also be due to it being a Shinkenger Christmas Cake, and me wanting the toy).

Unfortunately, Japan is rather lacking in what I deem the proper "Christmas spirit" (this being mainly due to the fact that there is still school on Christmas T_T) though the department stores have been playing nonstop Christmas music since the beginning of the month.
Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Re: Christmas Traditions?

Post by Deka_Hero »

Don't have any.

My family never celebrated Christmas growing up, so this time of year doesn't really hold anything special for me.
Other than me raging at all the god damn Christmas music playing everywhere...............
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Normally, on the 24th or 25th, me and my mom go out, watch one or two movies, and then wander the city to find somewhere open for dinner, usually Chinese or Japanese food... and no we aren't Jewish XP
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
AdamH
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by AdamH »

Lunagel, I was going to type that it's usually making the lebkuchen batter that gets me into the Christmas spirit. I just made it Tuesday night and am going to bake it tomorrow afternoon, and then divvy it up and mail out to my sisters and dad on Saturday.

I make an untraditional lebkuchen though, one with candied fruit and chocolate chips in it. It's so good. :D Next time you're in-chan, I can send you the recipe if you want.
yumenotenshi07
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojirou
Dreamy: Yaguruma Sou
Favorite Actor?: Sato Tomohito
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by yumenotenshi07 »

Hmm. Lately my tradition is, as soon as classes are done, to get into the kitchen and start baking. I make my family's favorite kinds of cookies, and sometimes I experiment with new recipes. This year I'm also going to make a coconut cake. And it has become a running joke in the house that my dad wants Mom or I to make him a cherry pie, but we never have. He always gives us crap about it, so as part of his Christmas present, I'm going to surprise him with one. I can't wait to see his face. :mrgreen:

Other than that, we go to church on Christmas Eve. We used to go to my grandma's house in the afternoon on Christmas Day before we moved, but I think it's going to be just us this year. Usually my mom makes bubble bread for breakfast on Christmas Day... so we have that and a lot of coffee to tide us over to the meal late in the afternoon.

Oh. And we usually watch a lot of Christmas specials. Dad loves the old Scrooge musical with Albert Finney, and he's gotten addicted to The Polar Express, so we usually watch those either on Christmas Eve or the week of Christmas. Though I think he and Mom watched The Polar Express like... right after Thanksgiving. XD

But yeah. I think my favorite part is definitely being in the kitchen! I love baking; it just puts me in a great mood and makes all of my stress melt away so I can enjoy the holidays. And I like that I can also make people happy this way, even though they're all going to yell at me about their weight gain once the holiday is over. :lol:

And I love the decorations... a lot. I think everything is really pretty around Christmas time. Plus... yeah... I like shiny things, so... all the lights... definite winner for me. XD

michejohnson
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Quote: FGRFF

Post by michejohnson »

One favorite Christmas memory: After the Christmas tree was finally up and decorated with mostly handmade ornaments and large and small twinkling lights. We as a family would turn off the lights and lay next to the tree watching the shadows on the ceiling. A few years after I got married I missed the randomly twinkling lights in our house, we searched until we too can watch the tree shadows on the ceiling.
memory card

Return to “Off Topic”