Don't you miss the good old Kamen Rider shows?

For the Riders we have not graced with our touch...yet
Post Reply

Which do you prefer?

Kuuga - Kabuto
8
73%
Den-O - Wizard
3
27%
 
Total votes: 11

User avatar
OOOKaiser
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Don't you miss the good old Kamen Rider shows?

Post by OOOKaiser » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:11 pm

I miss the old Kamen Rider shows (Kuuga - Kabuto). They attracted to me because of the dark elements in them. From Den-O to Fourze I just didn't feel that element anymore. The first six Kamen Rider shows were the best for me. Den-O was funny and there was some sad parts to it I didn't like it when they created a whole bunch of movies. Kiva was awesome but it didn't have that kick to it. Decade was badass but his plot sucked. W did a good job with its story but I still don't feel that dark element I felt when I was watching Kuuga - Kabuto. Fourze was okay but its story line started off late and I felt like they could have done a lot more with the main characters. Lastly, for Wizard. I feel some of the dark elements in the show but Shunpei and Kosuke kind of ruined it for me. In the end I would prefer the good old riders (Kuuga - Kabuto).

User avatar
KisekiRed
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:00 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2ndFavoriteSeries: Super Sentai
Favorite Actor?: Hiroya Matsumoto
Favorite Band: D'espairsray
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Toku and Visual Kei
Quote: "The only way to get away from loneliness is to love it" - Moi Dix Mois
Location: No where important
Contact:

Re: Don't you miss the good old Kamen Rider shows?

Post by KisekiRed » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:37 pm

Honestly, I think it lost it's Kamen Rider feel with Fourze. The series are good, just doesn't feel like Kamen Rider. Dark elements are always there, just not as shoved in your face as the first few seasons. It's with all the new gimmicks that the Riders have. The switches and rings make it feel a bit less like Kamen Rider and more like a "What will Gimmick item will they use next show." The Medals in OOO was the same way, but for some reason, he still feels like a Rider. My brother and I had this conversation a week ago.
Completed Rider Series: Amazon, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze
Completed Sentai Series: Dairanger, Magiranger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters.

User avatar
[kuronogantzryu]
Everything is drama!
Posts: 358
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:53 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2ndFavoriteSeries: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Mirei Kiritani
Favorite Actor?: Tatsuya Fujiwara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Contact:

Re: Don't you miss the good old Kamen Rider shows?

Post by [kuronogantzryu] » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:55 pm

I've never watched some of the older Heisei series because they seem so dark and gloomy. Doesn't interest me if it starts off shitty and ends off shitty. I've only watched Kabuto and it has its fair share of lightheartedness albeit tons of melodrama. Still a good series nonetheless.
KisekiRed wrote:It's with all the new gimmicks that the Riders have. The switches and rings make it feel a bit less like Kamen Rider and more like a "What Gimmick item will they use next show. The Medals in OOO was the same way, but for some reason, he still feels like a Rider."
Recent Heisei series are starting to become solely kids' shows and the whole "gimmick" thing is done for toy sales but I agree, it makes the shows less Kamen Rider-esque. OOO is the same way because of the dozens of coins available but you're entitled to your opinion.
OOOKaiser wrote:Den-O was funny and there was some sad parts to it I didn't like it when they created a whole bunch of movies. Kiva was awesome but it didn't have that kick to it. Decade was badass but his plot sucked. W did a good job with its story but I still don't feel that dark element I felt when I was watching Kuuga - Kabuto. Fourze was okay but its story line started off late and I felt like they could have done a lot more with the main characters. Lastly, for Wizard. I feel some of the dark elements in the show but Shunpei and Kosuke kind of ruined it for me. In the end I would prefer the good old riders (Kuuga - Kabuto).
For Den-O, the original series is a lot better than the movies after its original run ended. It's clearly just to cash in on the series after so many movies and years. Kiva is awesome but some of the characters aren't really memorable. Decade was more of an amalgamation of all the Riders' general storyline and was really just a plot device used to explore that. W had some really dark stuff in the later half of its run so I'm not sure what you're comparing it to. Fourze might've started its story late but the characterization of its main characters is massive and helps make the viewer care about them as meaningful characters later on. What kind of ruined Wizard for me was Kosuke after he was saved. He just turned into an annoying helper for comedic purposes and doesn't really serve a purpose, yet.
ImageImage

Revorse
Faiz
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 10:51 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: W
2ndFavoriteSeries: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Re: Don't you miss the good old Kamen Rider shows?

Post by Revorse » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:28 pm

That way you split the shows in the poll seems sorta odd to me.
I've seen Ryuki up till Wizard and yeah, I agree, some series are darker than others. But they're still Kamen Riders. They never really felt like anything else to me. Maybe because I just don't have anything to compare it to.

User avatar
OOOKaiser
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Don't you miss the good old Kamen Rider shows?

Post by OOOKaiser » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:51 pm

[kuronogantzryu] wrote: What kind of ruined Wizard for me was Kosuke after he was saved. He just turned into an annoying helper for comedic purposes and doesn't really serve a purpose, yet.
I agree with u on that one. Kosuke seems like a rider just written in the show so he could have only comedic purposes. The only time he got serious was when his Grandma was in danger and when he was getting his second form.
Revorse wrote: That way you split the shows in the poll seems sorta odd to me.
I've seen Ryuki up till Wizard and yeah, I agree, some series are darker than others. But they're still Kamen Riders. They never really felt like anything else to me. Maybe because I just don't have anything to compare it to.
I split up the shows in the poll like that because I thought Kuuga to Kabuto was the darker shows and Den-O to Wizard was lighter shows. You should watch Kamen Rider Kuuga and Agito then. Maybe you can compare the shows you watched to them instead.

User avatar
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Posts: 2929
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:18 pm
Male: Yes
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Don't you miss the good old Kamen Rider shows?

Post by Go-On Macaroni » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Kuuga-Kabuto were "darker" but, don't ignore the fact that they had comic relief all their own too. Offhand.. Ryuki had Ore Journal, Agito had Hikawa being a (lovable) dolt, etc.

User avatar
KisekiRed
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:00 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2ndFavoriteSeries: Super Sentai
Favorite Actor?: Hiroya Matsumoto
Favorite Band: D'espairsray
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Toku and Visual Kei
Quote: "The only way to get away from loneliness is to love it" - Moi Dix Mois
Location: No where important
Contact:

Re: Don't you miss the good old Kamen Rider shows?

Post by KisekiRed » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Kuuga had Yuusuke
Completed Rider Series: Amazon, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze
Completed Sentai Series: Dairanger, Magiranger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters.

Revorse
Faiz
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 10:51 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: W
2ndFavoriteSeries: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Re: Don't you miss the good old Kamen Rider shows?

Post by Revorse » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:27 pm

OOOKaiser wrote:
Revorse wrote: That way you split the shows in the poll seems sorta odd to me.
I've seen Ryuki up till Wizard and yeah, I agree, some series are darker than others. But they're still Kamen Riders. They never really felt like anything else to me. Maybe because I just don't have anything to compare it to.
I split up the shows in the poll like that because I thought Kuuga to Kabuto was the darker shows and Den-O to Wizard was lighter shows. You should watch Kamen Rider Kuuga and Agito then. Maybe you can compare the shows you watched to them instead.
Soon as TV-Nihon's done I'll get on that.
But even though the newer stuff is a lot lighter, even compared to the darker series I did see, Blade, Faiz etc. I don't think it makes them any less of Riders(Newer Riders).
From a series stand point yeah some of the older series might be better, but in terms of the Rider themselves there is a nice handful of newer Riders who'd beat the shit out of the older, darker Riders. But I think I went a bit off track with my thought..

User avatar
KisekiRed
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:00 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2ndFavoriteSeries: Super Sentai
Favorite Actor?: Hiroya Matsumoto
Favorite Band: D'espairsray
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Toku and Visual Kei
Quote: "The only way to get away from loneliness is to love it" - Moi Dix Mois
Location: No where important
Contact:

Re: Don't you miss the good old Kamen Rider shows?

Post by KisekiRed » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:01 am

For me atleast, I fell like OOO was the last of the Rider feel. My friend started watching Kamen Rider Kiva and we watched an episode together waiting for my brother to finish up something. I sat there thinking, "Man, something about the feeling of the Riders I miss." So, that's what I think personally. Just because Wizard and Fourze didn't have that feeling to me, I still thought they were fun to watch.
Completed Rider Series: Amazon, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze
Completed Sentai Series: Dairanger, Magiranger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters.

User avatar
OOOKaiser
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Don't you miss the good old Kamen Rider shows?

Post by OOOKaiser » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:06 pm

KisekiRed wrote:For me atleast, I fell like OOO was the last of the Rider feel. My friend started watching Kamen Rider Kiva and we watched an episode together waiting for my brother to finish up something. I sat there thinking, "Man, something about the feeling of the Riders I miss." So, that's what I think personally. Just because Wizard and Fourze didn't have that feeling to me, I still thought they were fun to watch.
I know what you mean. OOO and W was the last of the Rider feel for me. If the writers could only work on the plot and not like the toys then the Kamen Rider series can become a whole lot better.

Post Reply

Return to “Kamen Rider”