Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

No director's cuts lately?

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Category:Director%27s_Cut

Has anyone noticed that Toei has stopped doing them? Personally, I'm glad they did, since there was never anything good in the new cut.

Looks like they stopped after Wizard & Fourze. Considering Fourze had three DCs, not including Wizard & Fourze and Fourze & OOO, it's hard not to see why consumers might get fed up with the double dipping. They even tried releasing DCs for Sentai that year. Crazy!

I'd much rather have them focus on rereleasing old shows onto Blu-ray format. I think that's a better use of their resources.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: No director's cuts lately?

Post by Lunagel »

I can't imagine that they made enough money off the DCs to justify the effort, especially in the recession. They're better off doing the Blu-Rays, like you said, or doing side projects like Gaim Gaiden.
Lucetia
Gao

Post by Lucetia »

I don't mind Director's Cut (and actually enjoy them myself), but usually I'd prefer a lot more content on it than the original. Such as addiitonal footage (like 5-10 minutes maybe?), additional commentary, bonus footage, etc.

They way they did some of the DC's it seems there wasn't much on it so it's like why not just release it originally?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Japan's in a recession again?

Exactly Lucetia. If you're just going to add a few minutes of nonsense crap, just include them as clips in the bonus section.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Now if we can get Toei to stop doing some yearly installments of some movie series, then we might be even better off. Back in the days of Agito and Ryuki, the DCs were pretty good but towards the end, the DCs were just meh since they just extended the battle scenes. The best DC to me was the Kiva summer movie one.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The DCs definitely were better. Like the scenes where Otoya implied Yuri was fat or the Den-O ones where they had goofy little side adventures.
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

Director's Cuts are supposed to be releases that the Director of a film intended originally, or after some re-editing is more pleased with. Often scenes are cut from a film in the interest of time that the director really wanted in the movie.

A good example of this is Aliens. Nowadays when they do releases of it on Blu-ray ()they've done a few), they include Cameron's DC because there really was a lot of dialogue filmed and cut originally in the interest of time. That is a great example of a DC that actually adds to the film. Another is the Expendables. The theater release felt sort of flat to many (including myself), but the DC is edited better (most agree) and gives you more of a story behind the characters so that you end up caring for them more by the time the movie ends. One final example of a good DC is Independence Day. That movie's ending was changed from the original cut. The reason was because the original ending, while fun (and AWESOME from a story standpoint), was pretty unrealistic. So they re-filmed for the final version with a more believable (in a still unbelievable movie, LOL) ending. I prefer the DC, though. Oops I lied! I have ONE more. LOL. Little Shop of Horrors. That movie's DC has a completely different ending than the theater release, and even an extra song! It was changed for the theatrical release because of poor audience reception during pre-screenings. The theater release ended up getting better receptions and was a solid hit, but again, that version wasn't the Director's vision for the film. It wasn't until YEARS later that the DC was released, with the original ending, after fans of the film begged for the original, well-after the movie was established in the minds of those who've seen it.

Anyway, all that to say Toei's recent DCs didn't feel like true DCs in the sense of "What the Director intended." They felt like either stuff was held back originally or stuff was just thrown back in with hopes to make a little extra money in a subsequent release. So yeah, I agree: no more DCs Toei (unless you have a TRUE DC of an older film or a crummy film that needs a better cut)!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Considering it's Japan, it's pretty unlikely that they know what Director's Cut even means. They probably just saw new cuts of American releases with Director's Cut at the bottom and assumed all new cuts are called Director's Cuts by default.

I mean, I kind of like it, since it's like an accelerated window into the transformation of language. But yeah, it leads to funny misuses of the language like in cases like this.
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

I didnt even realize this until you pointed it out. I guess Toei realized they weren't making much money off the DCs. The more I see DCs the more I keep thinking they're like DLCs for a game
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

It was stupid they even tried this. When they should of just had the DC with the TC, on one discs. The additions did really nothing. And since it was a lot later. You can't even tell were they were. Unless someone did an review. It also didn't help some of them where on DVD only.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote:Japan's in a recession again?
Sales tax increased to 8% (and that's on EVERYTHING, including hospitals, medicine, buying/renting a house, utilities, food) while the salary has stayed about the same and with deflation, foreign items are becoming much more expensive. They're trying to reduce tax on certain necessities, but nothing solid has appeared so far.
maybetoby
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Yuriko Shiratori
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: Thousand Foot Krutch
My boom: Gokaiger

Post by maybetoby »

My favorite Director's Cut was the Wizard & Fourze Movie War simply because we got more scenes of Double, Accel, OOO, and Birth in Action.
JustiFanV2
7X

Post by JustiFanV2 »

When I download the older Kamen Rider shows that I'm then going to be watching for the first time, I only ever download the DC of a movie whenever one is available - never bother with the theatrical cut unless there's nothing else. I do miss them for the extra stuff they add in but, like Lucetia said, it's usually so minor that you'd have to wonder why they cut it out in the first place.

On the other hand it does help save on my hard drive space; with the newer KR shows that I'm watching as you guys release them, I would usually hold off burning a movie onto a DVD until I had the DC, so it feels nice not having to wait for months before I can do that now. Took me a while before I realised they'd abandoned the DCs completely though - the lack of one for Super Hero Taisen really surprised me as I figured that was going to be a shoe-in for one!
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

takenoko wrote:Considering it's Japan, it's pretty unlikely that they know what Director's Cut even means. They probably just saw new cuts of American releases with Director's Cut at the bottom and assumed all new cuts are called Director's Cuts by default.

I mean, I kind of like it, since it's like an accelerated window into the transformation of language. But yeah, it leads to funny misuses of the language like in cases like this.
LOL! I hadn't even thought about that! You're probably right! And yeah, I like misused English in Japan as well, for humor value mostly, but the "accelerated window" aspect is indeed interesting (and something else I hadn't really thought much about).
dualvision1984
7X
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Quote: The meaning of the journey lies within the journey itself - Eijiro Hikari, Kamen Rider Decade
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by dualvision1984 »

Honestly, I prefer Director's Cut than theatrical version since DC explains certain parts of the movie reach its scene by including the deleted ones. As a writer, I appreciate the deleted scenes being included because it will help me to understand more the movie itself. It is kind of sad if Toei will really stick to "NOT" to release director's cut version of their movies. I'm still looking forward that they will still release DC in the near future.

Return to “Kamen Rider”