For the Riders we have not graced with our touch...yet
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Alignment: Neutral Good

Main Rider Motivations

Post by Jehal »

Although every Rider can be boiled down to saving people and protecting the world, most of them do have their own specific motivations for what they're doing. I didn't find another thread talking about it, so I decided to make one. Ghost ended, so now seems like a good time to discuss it. Some Rider motivations will be easier than others to see, but I want to hear what others think why certain Riders are actually fighting.

I'm going to list of my opinions for the Rider series that I've seen.
Kuuga - Easy, he wanted to protect people's smiles. If people are smiling, it means they're happy and have something to be happy about.
Agito - Early on the series he talks about wanting to protect his home.
Ryuki - He was fighting to stop the fighting.
Faiz - With no dreams of his own, he wanted to protect the dreams of those important to him.
Blade - His personal motivation was protecting people, which stemmed from when his parents died in a fire and he couldn't do anything to save him.
Hibiki - The most backstory we get on him is that when he was in school, a kid was getting bullied and he couldn't help. My thought on his motivation is that he wants to be able to do something.
Kabuto - He wanted revenge for his parents, I think? I don't think he ever talks about saving people, but we do see how passionate he is about family, so...
Den-O - Helping people? He was helping them fix their biggest regrets. Also he wanted to look for Sakurai Yuuto.
Kiva - Did he have one? Didn't he have a character arc where he even questioned it himself?
Decade - He was fighting his destiny.
W - Specifically Shoutarou wanted to keep Fuuwa City a safe place to live.
OOO - He didn't want to feel guilty for not doing anything.
Fourze - He wanted to make friends.
Gaim - He was doing what he believed to be the right thing. Not just fighting Inves, but also trying to expose Yggdrasil.

I haven't seen Wizard, Drive, Ghost, or any Showa era rider series, so I'm looking forward to seeing people's opinions on their personal motivations.
If you think I got any wrong, I want to know what you think about them as well.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Main Rider Motivations

Post by takenoko »

Kabuto - He wanted revenge for his parents, I think? I don't think he ever talks about saving people, but we do see how passionate he is about family, so...

Tendou wants to protect his little sister

Kiva - Did he have one? Didn't he have a character arc where he even questioned it himself?

Hahahaha

W - Specifically Shoutarou wanted to keep Fuuwa City a safe place to live.

Fuuto. I think Fuuwa is the sound of something fluffy?

Wizard - Maybe hope????

Drive - To stop crime since he's a cop

Ghost - I didn't see this one, but to save his own life. But to value life in general.
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Jehal »

takenoko wrote:Kabuto - He wanted revenge for his parents, I think? I don't think he ever talks about saving people, but we do see how passionate he is about family, so...

Tendou wants to protect his little sister
Right, he even punched Tsurugi when she got scratched.
takenoko wrote:Kiva - Did he have one? Didn't he have a character arc where he even questioned it himself?

Hahahaha
That's what I thought.
takenoko wrote:W - Specifically Shoutarou wanted to keep Fuuwa City a safe place to live.

Fuuto. I think Fuuwa is the sound of something fluffy?
Whoops. I was almost right.
takenoko wrote:Wizard - Maybe hope????
From the discussions I've read about Wizard, I think this kind of falls in line with out people have described him.
takenoko wrote:Drive - To stop crime since he's a cop

Ghost - I didn't see this one, but to save his own life. But to value life in general.
I probably should've been able to figure these out on my own, thinking about it.
Completed Series

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

Well since i'm done watching Ghost, i've been thinking about the main motive and I say this:

As a ghost, he has 99 days to revive himself by getting all 15 Eyecons, connecting to Great Eye.

xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray

Post by xiiliea »

Ghost - He wanted to eat an onigiri again. You can see from his expression that it was his goal from the beginning, and he spent 198 days to accomplish that.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Wasn't Kabutos to destroy all worms? That was the whole point with the climax against Tsurugi.
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Jehal »

Catastrophe wrote:Wasn't Kabutos to destroy all worms? That was the whole point with the climax against Tsurugi.
We're more discussing why he was so willing to do it, besides the general saving people thing. In this case, I suggested he wanted revenge for his parents, while Takenoko suggested that he wanted to keep his little sister safe, with the worms being a potential threat. Both are family related, which he's very passionate about.
xiiliea wrote:Ghost - He wanted to eat an onigiri again. You can see from his expression that it was his goal from the beginning, and he spent 198 days to accomplish that.
I love the idea that the driving force to earn a second chance at life was food.
Completed Series

Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Wizard's motivation generally was to prevent people from falling into despair.

Ghost, he wanted to come back to life, but also wanted to find all the eyecons cause he's a history nerd, but also wanted to defend the world from a ganma invasion, but also wanted to connect everyone's feelings together, but also wanted one day to become a real boy with real feelings and believable reactions and awareness of those around him... mkay maybe not that last one.

Oh and of course there's the Showa Riders, most of which were 'Defeat the group that is the reason I'm a cyborg'.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Jehal »

Kogashi wrote:Wizard's motivation generally was to prevent people from falling into despair.
That goes along with the hope that Takenoko said.
Kogashi wrote:Ghost, he wanted to come back to life, but also wanted to find all the eyecons cause he's a history nerd, but also wanted to defend the world from a ganma invasion, but also wanted to connect everyone's feelings together, but also wanted one day to become a real boy with real feelings and believable reactions and awareness of those around him... mkay maybe not that last one.
So Ghost was a little all over the place, wasn't it?
Kogashi wrote:Oh and of course there's the Showa Riders, most of which were 'Defeat the group that is the reason I'm a cyborg'.
That doesn't account for Amazon, anyone know anything about him?
Completed Series

Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

We talking Amazon from Amazon or Amazon from Amazons? Cause if it's the first that covers that as well. His motivation was a scientist who know of ten-face and his forces found a lost Japanese boy in the amazons and decided to make him a cyborg/modified human in order to battle against the monster and keep away from them the two bracelets, Gigi and Jaja I think it was?
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Jehal »

Kogashi wrote:We talking Amazon from Amazon or Amazon from Amazons? Cause if it's the first that covers that as well. His motivation was a scientist who know of ten-face and his forces found a lost Japanese boy in the amazons and decided to make him a cyborg/modified human in order to battle against the monster and keep away from them the two bracelets, Gigi and Jaja I think it was?
Oh, I had no idea.
Completed Series

Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Jehal »

Now that the first arc of Ex-Aid is over, I feel now is a good time to discuss his motivation. Although after the reviews for this week's episode, I don't think a lot of people want to.
He's studying to be a doctor because he wants his patients to leave the hospital as happy as he did when he had surgery, and the people he's saving by fighting the Bugsters are his patients, so that's a pretty clear motivation. I think we can also take it one step further with a little theorizing. There's still some mystery about how he can transform without the compatibility surgery, and whether or not he actually had it done. The compatibility surgery involves implanting a bit of the bugster in someone, right? What if this is driving Emu to continue clearing the games?
Completed Series

Return to “Kamen Rider”