Male: Yes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Nana Yanagisawa
Favorite Actor?: Tori Matsuzaka
Favorite Band: E.S. Posthumus
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Drawing
Quote: You make the best of a bad situation by learning from it.

Better looking second riders

Post by leron9999 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:49 pm

My question is... why? A lot of people answered my question as to why second riders almost always start out as jackasses (or even stay jackasses).
How come most, if not all of the second riders look better than the primary rider? I mean, think about it. Excluding Kuuga (Since he owns the show completely) and Agito ('Cos he looks awesome already, but maybe Another Agito can compete) the rest of the other rider series have had such a trend. Knight looks better than Ryuki. Kaixa looks better than Faiz. Garren looks better than Blade. TheBee and Gatack look better than Kabuto (I haven't seen Hibiki much so I can't judge). Zeronos looks WAY better than Den-O(I typed Zeronos earlier, whoops). Lastly, IXA looks better than Kiva.
In retrospect, the primary riders usually have better looking evolution forms (Blade King definitely owns everyone else in terms of looks).
Last edited by leron9999 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saisho ni itte oku... Ore wa, kanari tsuyoi!
http://leron9999.deviantart.com/

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Better looking second riders

Post by takenoko » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Ibuki is pretty good looking.

>Zeronos looks WAY better than Zeronos

Heh

Also, which IXA and TheBee?

The reason they start off as assholes is to create a rivalry/source of conflict. More often than not, the most powerful thing in a Kamen Rider universe is another Kamen Rider

leron9999
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by leron9999 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:18 pm

takenoko wrote:Ibuki is pretty good looking.

>Zeronos looks WAY better than Zeronos

Heh

Also, which IXA and TheBee?

The reason they start off as assholes is to create a rivalry/source of conflict. More often than not, the most powerful thing in a Kamen Rider universe is another Kamen Rider
Agreed on the rivalry thing. Oh and I corrected the Zeronos thing haha. My bad on that one. I forgot to clarify myself that I was talking about the suit design and not the one under the suit.

thepinkspider
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: KAmen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Maya-sama!
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: X Japan
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Toku toys.

Post by thepinkspider » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:26 pm

why the 2nd riders look better than the main rider? hmm, probably because they were designed later? hell, shadowmoon was somewhat better looking the black.

it's probably because we usually see the riders more often than their seconds. that's why the 2nd riders are somewhat better looking.

leron9999
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by leron9999 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:54 pm

thepinkspider wrote:why the 2nd riders look better than the main rider? hmm, probably because they were designed later? hell, shadowmoon was somewhat better looking the black.

it's probably because we usually see the riders more often than their seconds. that's why the 2nd riders are somewhat better looking.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:17 pm

thepinkspider wrote:why the 2nd riders look better than the main rider? hmm, probably because they were designed later? hell, shadowmoon was somewhat better looking the black.
I don't know about that reasoning...

zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 am

-Knight looks better than Ryuki. Kaixa looks better than Faiz.
Agreed. Seems that darker colours seem to work well on Rider schemes.

-Garren looks better than Blade.
I disagree here. Firstly with regards to Garren being the 'second Rider'. I'd say Chalice is the second rider. Now, Chalice looks real cool.

-TheBee and Gatack look better than Kabuto
With regards to TheBee and Gatack, I'd say Kabuto looks better. The simplicity in Kabuto is what makes it look good. I'm not denying that TheBee looks good, but Kabuto looks cooler. And why do you say Gatack looks cool? I felt that Gatack had the worse design from the Kabuto series.

-Zeronos looks WAY better than Den-O
Again, I disagree. Green doesn't suit it's design (Rust form was the kind of colour that suited it). If it were a brighter colour, or maybe had more armour, it might have looked better. Vega form was cool though.

-Lastly, IXA looks better than Kiva.
Undeniable.

-In retrospect, the primary riders usually have better looking evolution forms (Blade King definitely owns everyone else in terms of looks).
Not really.
Snip
-Faiz's final form (can't recall the form name suddenly) looked crappy, Axxel (did I get this right?) was good though. (Then again, the others didn't have upgrades)
-Blade King lost out to Chalice's King form in terms of sleekness. Sure Blade King was shiny, but Chalice King was cool.
-Kabuto's Hyper form was meh. It's plain form was the best for me. (Again, others didn't have upgrades. Gatack Hyper doesn't count as it wasn't in the main arc. Then again, Gatack Hyper was equally meh.)
-Den O's climax/liner form? I think Zeronos' rust form owns it.
-Emperor is nicer than IXA Rising.
Seems that only Kiva has a nicer evolved form.

William_Duel
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
My boom: The World.

Post by William_Duel » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:31 am

Well I feel that the secondary rider has this quality of being a complement to the main rider. Ryuki is an honest pacifist, so Knight has to be the badass experienced fighter. Ryotaro was the super unlucky (these early traits don't last very long anymore do they?) wuss so Zeronos (sorry I suddenly forgot the characer's name) was another seemingly badass guy who was serious and knew more about what was going on. Nago was the guy with a serious and absolute sense of justice striving to make his destiny, while Wataru was insecure and being dragged around by his. So on and so on. I feel that the designs tend to reflect this in the characters.

The secondary rider can do what the main one can't. Although I do agree with Zeta in that some of your choices...are more opinion than fact. Well it all is in the end. I do enjoy the ultimate forms as it has become a staple of the franchise, even though some of the upgrades aren't as complex, I still think they are awesome.
Soldat Veritas

zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by zeta_gundam » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:19 am

William_Duel wrote:Well I feel that the secondary rider has this quality of being a complement to the main rider. Ryuki is an honest pacifist, so Knight has to be the badass experienced fighter. Ryotaro was the super unlucky (these early traits don't last very long anymore do they?) wuss so Zeronos (sorry I suddenly forgot the characer's name) was another seemingly badass guy who was serious and knew more about what was going on. Nago was the guy with a serious and absolute sense of justice striving to make his destiny, while Wataru was insecure and being dragged around by his. So on and so on. I feel that the designs tend to reflect this in the characters.

The secondary rider can do what the main one can't. Although I do agree with Zeta in that some of your choices...are more opinion than fact. Well it all is in the end. I do enjoy the ultimate forms as it has become a staple of the franchise, even though some of the upgrades aren't as complex, I still think they are awesome.
Nice points there. Yeah, they aren't facts. They are opinions. These kind of things are not 'factual' in that sense. Afterall, it's all about preference.

leron9999
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by leron9999 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:45 am

Indeed. Regarding the Gatack design, I really like the head design (The mouth piece along with the red eyes sorta draws me into it) and the blue scheme blends well with his overall look. I like his mask form as well, but not as much as his cast-off form. As for Zeronos, yeah the green doesn't blend well but the design itself was nice. What really drew me into the design was the weapon (Specifically the great sword/crossbow).

zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by zeta_gundam » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:22 pm

leron9999 wrote:Indeed. Regarding the Gatack design, I really like the head design (The mouth piece along with the red eyes sorta draws me into it) and the blue scheme blends well with his overall look. I like his mask form as well, but not as much as his cast-off form.
Really? The eyes were what threw me off. Blending a dark shade of blue and a dark shade of red wasn't a good idea. A much lighter shade of red would have worked for me.

rennkousaka
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: sentai!
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider series
Dreamy: rina aizawa
Favorite Actor?: shinwa kataoka
Favorite Band: project.r
Location: japan... roaming around with our trailer... ginjiro #1!

Post by rennkousaka » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:33 am

mine...

Kaixa... not Masato Kusaka...

wait... who will play the role of Kaixa in Decade if Kaixa will really appear?

since Masato Kusaka was killed by the orphenochs...
cheers to my successor... Ryuunosuke Ikenami. Good Luck Shinken Blue!!

leron9999
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by leron9999 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:39 am

rennkousaka wrote:mine...

Personally, I hope that guy doesn't come back in Decade. Damn I hate that guy. Kaixa would've made a great rider, if only the prominent user wasn't such an asshole. Maybe the Faiz world will take place after the events of the final episode.

Kuro
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Kuro » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:41 am

Maybe this isn't because of the way they look but because of the way they act. Just remember the Joker in the nurse outfit. Looked ridiculous but was still frighteningly intimidating and made him even more awesome. Now think about Kamen Rider. What is the first thing a second rider does once he appears in the show? He either kicks the main Rider's ass or nonchalantly defeats the badass monster of the week that just trashed the main rider. What happens if you beat the resident badass? Right. Your own badass level skyrockets over 9000. This is kind of proven by the way the fandom reacts to pictures of Riders before they appear and after. I remember the guys at hju weren't so thrilled about Dark Kiva when they first saw his design (pallette swap/"Hyper kabuto color scheme"). Then they saw him easily beating everything that got to close to him and the whole board went bananas.

rennkousaka
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: sentai!
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider series
Dreamy: rina aizawa
Favorite Actor?: shinwa kataoka
Favorite Band: project.r
Location: japan... roaming around with our trailer... ginjiro #1!

Post by rennkousaka » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:48 am

leron9999 wrote:
rennkousaka wrote:mine...

Personally, I hope that guy doesn't come back in Decade. Damn I hate that guy. Kaixa would've made a great rider, if only the prominent user wasn't such an asshole. Maybe the Faiz world will take place after the events of the final episode.
he will not definitely be... Masato Kusaka is already dead...
cheers to my successor... Ryuunosuke Ikenami. Good Luck Shinken Blue!!

Return to “Kamen Rider”