Which Kamen rider series do you recommend?

For the Riders we have not graced with our touch...yet
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Which Kamen rider series do you recommend?

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I laughed plenty of times during Ryuki especially during the summer fillers.
ReversedSentai wrote:No major character conflicts whatsoever as far as I know.
Spoiler
Yeah, it's not like Enokida had any family problems or anything that Jean helped her with.
It's not like Godai was worried or anything when his Rising Forms blew up a frikin city and/or his first loss against Daguva.

There was character conflict but, not "I hate you, Jet Sliger! Blow him up!"-type stuff.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

TheLastTatlFan wrote:
ReversedSentai wrote:Ryuki was pretty decent. It had a ton of Riders in contrast to the usual pattern of Kamen Rider and also had a VERY dark storyline. You literally see little if not any humor. It's a tragic tale of a battle royale. Somewhat similar to The Hunger Games.

"Little to no humor?" Were we watching different Ryukis? Yui's aunt, the ORE Journal staff besides Reiko, Hell, Imperer treating the whole Kamen Rider business like a job was pretty hilarious to me...
I agree that the series had a really good, pretty dark story, but it certainly wasn't lacking in humor.
Yeah, but that's just a ripple in the ocean. The actual series itself is still very dark. That's why I said little.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

So I finally got my friend interested into Kamen Rider and now he's asking me what Kamen Rider series should he watch. I'm thinking about Kamen Rider Ryuki because of the rider war and how it ended. But if you guys can help me I would be so glad.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

Try blade. it takes some episodes to get moving, but it has an interesting plot.
Kiva was the one i started with, so try it.
Maybe kuuga.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Ryuki starts a bit too slow and doesn't really capture the heroic spirit of Kamen Rider an introductory series needs.

Kiva: I'm currently working my way through it and I'm short on good things to say about it, with a lot of my problems with it being summed up as "The writers would rather be doing a soap opera." I wouldn't recommend it to a newcomer.

I don't really remember Blade all that clearly, actually, which probably speaks volumes about it.

Den-O's pretty consistently entertaining and starts off episodically, giving a newcomer enough breathing room to get into the groove of things before bringing on the drama and plot. Maybe have him try that?

Actually, start him off with W. Like Den-O, it's consistently entertaining and provides ideal breathing room for a newcomer, but unlike Den-O the main villains have a presence from the start, and the aren't any stupid train fights.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

TheLastTatlFan wrote:Ryuki [...] and doesn't really capture the heroic spirit of Kamen Rider an introductory series needs.
...wut? It does so, Shinji encompasses all of the heroic traits and what a Kamen Rider should be. Sure, Rider vs. Rider is played out by now but, Ryuki's generally about a guy wanting to do whatever he can to make things right for the world and, that's all a Rider should or needs to do.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Ryuki is more about the Rider War and what a moral quagmire it is, though.
Yeah, Shinji believes Riders should save people, but he spends most of the show grappling with that black and white worldview.

That's why I wouldn't recommend most of the Heisei era as a starting point; A lot of it was experimenting with having multiple Riders and their varying degrees of heroism.
I haven't seen Kuuga or Agito, so I can't talk about them, but having seen the rest of the Heisei era, I can see W and Den-O are rare series' where the heroes get to purely be heroes.
jedimax
7X

Post by jedimax »

This may be kind of an oddball suggestion, but I suggest starting with Decade. It gives a taste of numerous Rider shows without ruining the storyline of the shows proper.
Tomos
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
My boom: Languages/singing

Post by Tomos »

Well Kabuto got me into it but then I don't know if it would get other people into it.
HW-DiEnd
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Luka Milfly
Favorite Actor?: Anna Nagata
Favorite Band: Motörhead
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Yorozuya Gin-Chan
Quote: "The world is a lonely place,you're on your own..."

Post by HW-DiEnd »

My friend recommended me to play Climax Heroes OOO on my PSP,so to understand what i were playing,i started to watch it,and became very addicted to the series.

But i recommend to start with OOO,the story is pretty good,and Eiji's personality is very captivating,i've loved it.

You can also watch W,if someone wanna watch Kamen Rider Series,and don't like W,he can give up.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Once I have free time I wanna start watching all the kamen rider seasons that you guys subbed. Which complete season did you guys do? The torrent page is not in airing order, only in alphabetical. :?

I liked the old torrent page anyways, THAT was in airing order.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

We finished every season from Ryuki onwards. Faiz is being remastered with DVD rips, but we did finish the series in 2004 with the TV rips.

Also, if you want, you should check out our chat channel: http://widget04.mibbit.com/?settings=bb ... 23tv-nihon

You seem very lively on our forums, so if you want to ask questions like this, it'll be much easier if visit our chat forums so everyone can discuss. Just enter your nick and hit connect.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

I'll do just that later, thanks. :D
lennyhouston16
Go Go!
Favorite series: Gaim, OOO, Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva, W, Go-Busters
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by lennyhouston16 »

I really need suggestions on what series to watch even if its not Kamen Rider. I've watched all of the Sentai subbed by TV Nihon, Kamen Riders Den-O through Wizard, Cutie Honey, all of Garo, and Rescue Fire. I prefer not to watch a series that's unfinished by TV Nihon. I know that's quite demanding but does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

You could try one of our one-offs, there's quite a bit of good stuff there.

Return to “Kamen Rider”