Which Kamen rider series do you recommend?

For the Riders we have not graced with our touch...yet
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: Which Kamen rider series do you recommend?

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

Personally, I thought Dragon Knight was a good adaptation. Miles above Masked Rider, that's for sure. The fact that they didn't stick with Ryuki's storyline is a huge plus IMO, because let's face it. Ryuki devolved into a giant clusterfuck.

I think the main reason it didn't do well was because it was one of those "barely advertised" shows.

Not that it didn't have it's faults of course.

Just my opinion.
kokowaks
Salami Commander

Post by kokowaks »

totally agree with you dude...

it never really got the attention of the masses...

take a look at its popularity in japan...
its even looks like they advertised it as a made-for-adults kamen rider show... judging from the MV of its local openning song...
squashy
Gabu
Dreamy: Koyomi-tan~
Favorite Actor?: Takamasa Suga
Favorite Band: Fall Out Boy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Chokushi no Magan
Quote: I'm full of motivation!

Post by squashy »

Ryuki devolved into a giant clusterfuck.
really? IMO Ryuki's story isn't so bad, there is always something conflicting with another, and the characters are lovable, thus it's pretty interesting. No big plot hole. The Deus Ex Machina ending causes major wtf reactions for sure, but it's rather touching and fair (13 deaths for 1 miracle <=> 2 deaths for 1 total reset). Let's skip the Movie, its ending is cliché, forced and illogical like hell.

or were you talking about the suits? Ryuki Survive is not too bad, well a bit bulky I'd say. I think we all agree Knight Survive looks epic ━(゚∀゚≡(゚∀゚≡゚∀゚)≡゚∀゚)━
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!
squashy
Gabu
Dreamy: Koyomi-tan~
Favorite Actor?: Takamasa Suga
Favorite Band: Fall Out Boy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Chokushi no Magan
Quote: I'm full of motivation!

Post by squashy »

Say, ooo just ended. Anyone recommends it? I have heard nothing outstanding about it except a shitload of forms *scratching head*
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I enjoyed OOO a lot. It was pretty standard, lots of fighting, and as you mentioned, main focus was on the multitude of forms. OOO himself was a decent actor, but to me where the show really shines is the villains, who are interesting, well fleshed out, and really awesome designs. Ankh and Date definitely make it up to my favorite characters list and the gadgets are fun and work great as actual toys.
Ryu Red
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Luka/Naomi
Favorite Actor?: Satoh Takeru
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: TOKUSATSU
Quote: Toori sugari no Kamen Raida da. Oboeteoke.
Saa, o mae wo tsumi o kazaero!
etc., etc...
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Ryu Red »

OOO is definitely worth a run, though I'm not sure I quite agree about the villains been fleshed out well. I'll give on Dr. Maki, Kazari, even Uva, but I didn't feel like that was the case for Gamel or Mezool.

I liked Eiji as a character, especially as he develops over the course of the series. Ankh is a great anti-partner, and Date was definitely a different way to Ride.

I think the best part is looking at how the Yummy are developed, and what it means to be a Greeed.

Also, I'd be doing a disservice to the series if I didn't mention how amazing Cake Boss (Kougami) is.

SUBARASHI!!!
Hi, Seigi, Kokoro.
Fire, Justice, Heart.
The Burning Heart of Justice,
Ryu Red! (aka TokuMaster)

Currently Watching: Kyoryuger/Gaim
Completed: Shin, Kabuto through Wizard
Dairanger, Timeranger through Go-Buster
Coming up: ???
Hase0
Adventure
Favorite series: Nexus, Kuuga, Kabuto
Quote: A man's job is 80 percent decision making. The rest is just a bonus.

Post by Hase0 »

not in order

Kuuga
Kabuto
W
OOO
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Did not want to make another topic since we already have this one.

Besides Fourze, about half of W and the American version of DragonKnight, I have not watched any other season.

I wanna continue W, but I cannot download them due to no seeding. So any other season people can direct me to? I was thinking of OOO.
XIII
The Conspiracy
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Blade and 555
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Blade's gay!
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Well for one, you could try the DDL section for the other half of W.

For recommendations,
-Den-O is a nice compliment to W if you've been enjoying it, being largely a comedy with a decent bit of interaction with and fleshing out of the civilians our hero works so hard every week to protect
-OOO too, both it and Den-O having the same head writer, plus the combos are a pretty cool gimmick (My favorite combo is TaJaDoru)
-Ryuki (Dragon Knight's footage source) was the first KR series headed by Yasuko Kobayashi, the head writer on Den-O and OOO, but it's drastically different. Personally, I love it, and Ouja still fits neatly into my top five favorite Riders of all time, but I'm not sure I can recommend it to anyone.
-Hibiki is really good in it's first half although has no real business bearing the name "Kamen Rider," and it's second half mostly moves the plot along via an asshole who is only there to be an asshole
-Kabuto milks some really cool action scenes out of the Clock Up ability (Imagine moving at normal speed while the world around you was in slow-motion.), and the inversion of the more standard Main Rider-type guy being the Second (Technically Fifth, Seventh if you count the different TheBee users as separate Riders) Rider while the Main Rider is an enigma with a lot of confidence has played out interestingly enough for me so far (Though I'm told the show runs out of steam around episode thirty and agonizingly drags the viewer across the last twenty or so).
-Decade's a love it or hate it show, and as far as I know a person can tell whether they'll love it or hate it based on their first impression of Tsukasa. If nothing else, it can be mind-blowing for someone not familiar with the first ten Heisei Riders.
-Century Kings have all of Black subbed, if you feel like giving a Showa Rider a shot

Blade's not really a series I'd recommend, exactly, but I wouldn't tell you to avoid it either. The two most plot-important characters didn't get interesting for me until the last fifteen or so episodes, and it was something of a dull slog to get there, but hey, maybe you'll get into it faster.

And I will say this: I'd recommend avoiding Faiz/555, since by the end of it the only characters who hadn't had at least one moment where I wanted to punch them in the face were those two detective guys who never did anything and the guy played by Doushi Kaku from Dairanger, but I know a lot of people loved it, so I'll let them speak up for it if they care to.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Thanks for the very detailed list TatlFan. Only reason I have not used DDL's of W is because 1 or two of the episodes are not available for DDL. And I like completion in my shows, so I'm kinda anal on it.

I think I'll try to finish W and work on Den-O, then OOO. I'll work on the rest as I go along.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

So here's my breakdown of what I think of each Heisei Rider series with no spoilers:

Kuuga for me was very boring. Sorry for the fanboys, but it was very dull for me. We saw almost literally no character development. Episode 1 introduces us to a multi-talented man who can do pretty much anything. He fights as Kuuga, tries to learn about his different forms, and that's about it. No major character conflicts whatsoever as far as I know.

Agito was definitely better than Kuuga. The main Rider is introduced as having amnesia and he's fighting to recover himself. Meanwhile, we see something that I think was missing from Kuuga: character conflict. Agito was pretty good in my opinion.

Ryuki was pretty decent. It had a ton of Riders in contrast to the usual pattern of Kamen Rider and also had a VERY dark storyline. You literally see little if not any humor. It's a tragic tale of a battle royale. Somewhat similar to The Hunger Games.

Faiz was also pretty good. Tons of character development and as the story goes on, we learn more and more about the main Rider and his dark past. Faiz is definitely a great series in my opinion.

Blade was....kinda slow for me. I really didn't see much great plot element in the story as far as I see. Character development was also very slow. It took me about episode 30 or something to get a bit attached to the story. To me, it was a bit weak especially since I watched it right after Faiz, which I thought was a pretty good Rider series.

Hibiki, for me, wasn't good. Maybe it was because it wasn't meant to be a Rider series at first. It's basically the story of a man and his student. The writer of the story changes halfway though.

Kabuto was pretty good. The main Rider is pretty badass, and even though Kabuto isn't my favorite, it's still pretty good. Tons of Riders like Ryuki though.

Den-O is good if you like humor. The Imagins are very funny and we see a Rider who's shy and lacking confidence in himself.

I really like Kiva. It's my favorite Rider series of all time because it had humor and laughs when appropriate and also a darker storyline than its predecessor Den-O. The fact that there are two storylines connecting to each other are also very unique in the fact that no other series had this aspect.

Decade had mixed reviews. I personally liked it because it's basically saying: "Let's tell the previous nine series with the same plot and character personalities in mind but with different actors and backgrounds".

W is a detective-drama series. It's definitely more light-hearted so if you like humor, you'd like this.

OOO was decent in my opinion. It's more light-hearted as well and the main Rider is an okay character for me.

Fourze is Fourze. It's the first series with a high-school setting. It's very light-hearted.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

ReversedSentai wrote: Kuuga for me was very boring. Sorry for the fanboys, but it was very dull for me. We saw almost literally no character development. Episode 1 introduces us to a multi-talented man who can do pretty much anything. He fights as Kuuga, tries to learn about his different forms, and that's about it. No major character conflicts whatsoever as far as I know.
Spoiler
i wont try to say you are wrong about that, but i have to say, thats kind of an important plot point in the series
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

ReversedSentai wrote:Ryuki was pretty decent. It had a ton of Riders in contrast to the usual pattern of Kamen Rider and also had a VERY dark storyline. You literally see little if not any humor. It's a tragic tale of a battle royale. Somewhat similar to The Hunger Games.

"Little to no humor?" Were we watching different Ryukis? Yui's aunt, the ORE Journal staff besides Reiko, Hell, Imperer treating the whole Kamen Rider business like a job was pretty hilarious to me...
I agree that the series had a really good, pretty dark story, but it certainly wasn't lacking in humor.

Return to “Kamen Rider”