Anime skin is so smooth
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Favorite Actor?: Sean Connery
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: Heisei vs. Showa, Sentai vs. Kamen Rider

Post by Ruecian »

Darkster wrote:
kokowaks wrote:i actually find decade more darker than w... i mean decade just adjust to the theme of the rider's world... the first episode of decade shows you how much darker it is by showing multiple riders dying than a show with the bad guy doesn't die even if he/she already exploded... though i also like w... but the way the characters tend to over-react on small things tends to be an imagin trait...
:shock: Do you pay attention to the shows when you watch them? Double doesn't have to kill every guy he sees just because he tries to look like a badass. That would be a total failure. Besides, if you pay attention, Masquerade Dopants die instead of having their Memories ejected. Some are even cut in half before they explode. I don't see how a "my Rider's better than all of yours" series is even remotely darker than Double.

So having expendable pawns die instead of Riders and characters were supposed to be familiar with and somewhat emotionally invested in die along with ENTIRE WORLDS makes a darker show? I don't see the logic in that.
Darkster
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
Favorite Actor?: Jackie Chan
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: takoyaki
Quote: Because Takumi is Takumi.

Post by Darkster »

Ruecian wrote: So having expendable pawns die instead of Riders and characters were supposed to be familiar with and somewhat emotionally invested in die along with ENTIRE WORLDS makes a darker show? I don't see the logic in that.
Of course you wouldn't. Read the post again and give it another attempt.
Ruecian
Anime skin is so smooth
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Favorite Actor?: Sean Connery
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ruecian »

Darkster wrote:
Ruecian wrote: So having expendable pawns die instead of Riders and characters were supposed to be familiar with and somewhat emotionally invested in die along with ENTIRE WORLDS makes a darker show? I don't see the logic in that.
Of course you wouldn't. Read the post again and give it another attempt.

Why don't you? Because from what I gather, because it's right there in front of me, that you're trying to argue that Decade is not as dark as Double, when clearly it is via the points I made. Any questions?
Leonite Rider
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zero One
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Leonite Rider »

How about we say their both as dark as each other, but Decade's feels less so because it was shorter?

Decades was dark because people ended up dying everywhere near the end, but Double has the factor that their monsters are still alive to suffer the repurcussions of their actions. That and Masqurade
Avid fan of mixing Riders and Rangers into other things
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

A show doesn't automatically gets the reputation 'dark' if many people die in it. Rather, it's more to how they die or what happened to them. Like me previous example, X Rider's girlfriend and her sister, both Interpol agents, were used by GOD in an attempt to kill him, and both ended up killed. Just people getting blown up to emphasize the coolness/badassery of a new character(Decade, FangJoker etc) doesn't amount to 'dark'.
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
Hikikomori-san
7X
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Blade/555/Ryuki
Favorite Band: NoGod
My boom: Deluhi/Crossfaith
Quote: "Bandai laughs at our pain...and drinks our tears." - Vangelus

Post by Hikikomori-san »

^ Dude, spoiler much? T_T; And no, it's probably not common knowledge with whatever happened in Kamen Rider X.

And I thought this was Heisei vs Showa, not Heisei vs Heisei...

Double's getting much more darker; Decade was dark, but it wasn't Toy Story 3 dark. (How the heck is Decade the lightest? WTH?)

I think that Showa KRs and Heisei KRs have dark and light series. It varies, and it doesn't seem to depend on what era the series is in.
kokowaks
Salami Commander

Post by kokowaks »

to think that all showa's riders were all surgically experimented always makes their humanty in question...

black was the only showa that ive seen and i can say that while it isnt as "edgy" as the current ones you can clearly feel the dark atmosphere the show radiates... especially the consequences if black wasnt there to save the day...

it isn't just the deaths that makes the show "dark" but the situations that puts more emotion to the hero itself... like the decision making these showa riders have to make... to be good despite having the power to rule everyone... decade faced this situation too at the end of his series... and i dont dislike W... i cant really compare it as a whole since it isnt finished yet.. all i can compare is the current episodes that ive seen and there's plenty of awesome ones...
markoclix
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger

Post by markoclix »

Decade was dark, but it wasn't Toy Story 3 dark.
^ That comment was awesome! :D Moving on...
rizefall
Swedish Meatball

Post by rizefall »

I have to agree that the decade story can be very dark. As much as happens against Tsukasa. The beginning is just about one guy instantly killing everything. Kuuga going into his evil form.

In the end of the series we are there again. When Decade stands there and henshins against everybody, i can't think of anything else than "I WANT REVANGE"

And as his journey was to destroy the riders and not befriend them.
Lots of shit can be said, if you watch as it is sure, but if you take into account all the shit that happends in the background it's a whole other thing.
"Lady Luck is smilin"
Darkster
Kamen Knight

Post by Darkster »

Decade does not take other Riders seriously. That's the main reason why it can't be considered dark. Toy Story 3 was much darker, trust me. Double has people craving power and killing people for fun and excitement. Dopants have to live without that power after they are stopped and they have to live with what they've done, like Leonite said. Putting Heisei vs. Heisei aside, Showa is much darker. It was in the era before Kamen Rider was meant for younger viewers. You've got Black as a prime example. Just one episode will have you convinced.
rizefall
Swedish Meatball

Post by rizefall »

If that's what you have to say, i wont say no more ;P
"Lady Luck is smilin"
kokowaks
Salami Commander

Post by kokowaks »

Darkster wrote:Decade does not take other Riders seriously. That's the main reason why it can't be considered dark. Toy Story 3 was much darker, trust me. Double has people craving power and killing people for fun and excitement. Dopants have to live without that power after they are stopped and they have to live with what they've done, like Leonite said. Putting Heisei vs. Heisei aside, Showa is much darker. It was in the era before Kamen Rider was meant for younger viewers. You've got Black as a prime example. Just one episode will have you convinced.
its because you are seeing decade as your favaorite rider... i mean you have to see decade as a rider of his own and whatever happened in his episodes(and movies) is his story and not your prefered rider... i know that these riders is much more better in their respective series but i always looked at them as supporting characters and i never expected them to steal the show... and i can't still comment on toy story 3 since i have yet to see it(and i think it would be too much out of topic)

and as for W... i can see that the bad guys are motivated by their own respective personal greed but what makes me see it as a light-hearted one is its side stories along with the occasional childish gestures of the stars like the episode where shotaro acts like a cat to find a cat... i mean the main story is "dark" and i very much appreciated that especially with the current episodes right now but it is the fact that the villains are mostly the ones who roll the main story and rarely just W...

anyway why isn't sentai mention yet? i think its on the title?
LonelySoldier
Gabu
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Ryukendo
My boom: AKB48
Quote: Being forgotten is much more painful than being hated...

Post by LonelySoldier »

In my opinion, what makes Heisei Riders dark is that they show the darkside of human's hearts (even the ordinary ones) more and deeper than what's shown in Showa, which showed the darkness and evilness more from the main villains. Not to mention the dilemma in the protagonists' side (Faiz, Kiva, and Decade for example)...

On the other side, what makes Showa series 'dark' for me is because of their scary gimmicks...
What I've learned from watching Kamen Rider OOO :
Don't be greedy, except for Bandai's stuff...
DarkProject
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Quote: Fast like the wind,
Silent like a forest,
Intrusive like the fire,
Immobile like a mountain.
-Takeda Shingen

Post by DarkProject »

Tsukasa being flippant about each situation was his coping mechanism. He would've cracked under the strain of the various duties he had to perform. If existance is breaking down, we don't necessarily see the faces of the babies who are destroyed, we just know it's happening. Innocent people die throughout the show. Is that dark? Yes, if you think about the circumstances. Rider War? Our favorite previous Riders get trashed in the FIRST scene of the show. However, his mission was one of friendship and memories, which is what we may remember best from the series.

Don't confuse "Dark" with "Noir". W is at the end, a detective story with real elements thrown in. He's not fighting for reality, he's fighting for his city. The stakes aren't the same, but the storytelling method brings more reality and grit to the characters. Those Masquerade Dopants die, but only because the memory only really gives them a mask. It's not a full transformation, but they charge in and fight a fully-henshined warrior. It's going to happen, and they could undo their henshins and walk away if they wanted to. No one's being forced to fight here.
Darkster
Kamen Knight

Post by Darkster »

Our favorite Riders' memories and essences get trashed in the first scene of Decade. That's one of the main reason's why it isn't dark. It's a my-Rider's-better-than-your-Rider show. It's not even close to dark. Besides, we were already moving on to the real topic of the thread. LonelySoldier was getting to it. Showa shows the true nature of humanity. It's what people truly fear and many of the enemies were able to bring it out of regular-looking people.

Return to “Kamen Rider”