Apparently being evil means you lose 80% of your vocal range

For the Riders we have not graced with our touch...yet
Joe_Mello
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: The Iromonea

Re: Apparently being evil means you lose 80% of your vocal r

Post by Joe_Mello »

I'm hoping this develops into a fun discussion about narrative, but until then, my two cents:

When you're writing a story where the bad guys are literal monsters, what do you do with human antagonists? A popular and simple answer is to make them seem less human. Deprive them of certain emotions and normalities and make them resemble the monsters more than the actor that plays him.
CarterSensei wrote:I wound up playing "Kaiju" for a group of 2nd graders who wanted to play sentai. I think I blew up.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I don't think it's bad to be just stoic though. Like some of my favorite characters from the Star Trek shows are Spock, Data, and Tuvok. At this point, it's just sounding like personal preference on whether that kind of character is your thing or not
Skiks
Faiz

Post by Skiks »

While Jun's character is overdone I agree the way he's used is going pretty well. If W doesn't let me down I assume he'll get a tinsy bit of character development before the end of the series. Honestly there is nothing wrong with an overdone stereotypes being used. So long as it's used well.
William_Duel
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: The World.

Post by William_Duel »

I like his sideburns. But poor guy is just a little clumsy, dropping everything all the time, he's just a nervous fellow and is afraid to let go of his emotions. HE is overcome with lust when it comes to Saeko!

But on a more serious note I am slightly in a way bothered by the fact that we have to associate such characters with the quirk they have. Jun is practically identified by his quirk of dropping stuff, otherwise what would make him that much different from the next stoic villain? It's his catchphrase practically.
Soldat Veritas
Joe_Mello
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: The Iromonea

Post by Joe_Mello »

Well, you have to make characters instantly memorable and classifiable to children, so you can't do much in the way of subtlety. Hell, you can't do that much subtlety when writing for adults, either.

It's not bad to be stoic, per se, but it does give you funny looks. And Star Trek seems to like making its alien races be, for lack of a better term, lesser than human beings, even when the aliens have clear advantages.
CarterSensei wrote:I wound up playing "Kaiju" for a group of 2nd graders who wanted to play sentai. I think I blew up.

Return to “Kamen Rider”