Just a note...

For the Riders we have not graced with our touch...yet
AkuTenshiiZero
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Re: Just a note...

Post by AkuTenshiiZero »

I'm just reminded of when I used to work at Toys R Us when the KRDK toyline came out. Nobody bought it because they didn't know wtf it was, but the real moment that tested my self-control was when I heard a boy and his father looking over the figures...

"Daddy, what's this?"

"Hmm....That's a Kayman Raider."

Okay. It's one thing to pronounce Kamen completely wrong. It's a Japanese word and you're a typical ignorant American schmuck. But how the hell do you get the Rider part wrong!?

/fanrant
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

AkuTenshiiZero wrote:I'm just reminded of when I used to work at Toys R Us when the KRDK toyline came out. Nobody bought it because they didn't know wtf it was, but the real moment that tested my self-control was when I heard a boy and his father looking over the figures...

"Daddy, what's this?"

"Hmm....That's a Kayman Raider."

Okay. It's one thing to pronounce Kamen completely wrong. It's a Japanese word and you're a typical ignorant American schmuck. But how the hell do you get the Rider part wrong!?

/fanrant
Apperently you've never been to California.

One of my friends thought it was Caimen Rider and further more pictured someone riding a caimen... ... ... DAMN LEPERCONS they need to find other things to do between rainbows and st. Patty's day!
Spinster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Survive Forms

Post by Spinster »

I once raided the Caymans.

Just sayin'...
Caine_Tobias
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Dreamy: Miki Saotome
Favorite Actor?: Tony Jaa, Jet Li
Favorite Band: Gackt, Miyavi
My boom: Swords

Post by Caine_Tobias »

when ever I get asked what Kamen Rider is, I whip out my Figuarts.... for super sentai I just say it's power rangers with death, and better acting
DrowningFishy

Post by DrowningFishy »

Caine_Tobias wrote:when ever I get asked what Kamen Rider is, I whip out my Figuarts.... for super sentai I just say it's power rangers with death, and better acting
Yeah WTF, more Kamen Riders have been offed then Sentai. ::gets a shot gun:: welp time for me to put down the poor goseigers.

This morning I tried to exsplain Kamen Rider to my best friend and roomate. Sadly I did this with W, and Xstreme form finger puppets. After a few moments of silence she told me to take my Ultraman back to my room, and now she's convinced I am insane.

Lesson: WHen exsplaing Kamen Riders, W does not make the wisest choice,
genesisclimber7
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Mospeada
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: ---
I'm just a passing through Kamen Rider.

Post by genesisclimber7 »

I explained Kamen Rider Decade to my girlfriend as kind of like Doctor Who meets Power Rangers. She was cool with that, and she likes it so far.
Spinster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Spinster »

DrowningFishy wrote:
Caine_Tobias wrote:when ever I get asked what Kamen Rider is, I whip out my Figuarts.... for super sentai I just say it's power rangers with death, and better acting
Yeah WTF, more Kamen Riders have been offed then Sentai. ::gets a shot gun:: welp time for me to put down the poor goseigers.

This morning I tried to exsplain Kamen Rider to my best friend and roomate. Sadly I did this with W, and Xstreme form finger puppets. After a few moments of silence she told me to take my Ultraman back to my room, and now she's convinced I am insane.

Lesson: WHen exsplaing Kamen Riders, W does not make the wisest choice,
Never use the wackier seasons to introduce KR to the uninitiated. For someone not terribly familiar with Japanese television, I say ease 'em in with Kabuto or if you can find it, Black.
Xander Blaze
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W / Kuuga
Dreamy: Tendou Souji
Favorite Actor?: Kikkawa Koji
Favorite Band: Tetra Fang
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Ultimate

Post by Xander Blaze »

Apparently most of my friends know what Kamen Rider is but I keep reminding myself not to whack their heads when they call it Masked Rider......
I hate my country's tv channel........
天の道を往き、総てを司る!
Ten no michi o Iki, Subete o Tsukasadoru otoko!
Walking the path of heaven, the man who will rule over everything!

Yes, I'm back
Truthfully.
Disappeared since the end of Kamen Rider OOO
DrowningFishy

Post by DrowningFishy »

Spinster is it bad that this thread has now gotten me to try to explain KR to my best friend who previously ignored/teased my toku fandom and I let it slide. I tried genesisclimber7 approach of kind of doctor who meets Sentai, because she's a HUGE doctor who fan. She retorted with the fact Dr. Who does not wear his tardirus (sp), nor does he have big bug eyes.

Oh well KR is still very useful if you want to silence your roomates. Just march into the room like shocker fodder "Eiiii" with a solute and march away.

::hands Xander Blaze a green slipper:: Now it is okay to smack them on their heads.
Spinster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Spinster »

TARDIS: Time And Relative Dimensions In Space

In truth, I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who m'self, and I really don't see the comparisons either. I think Toku might just be one of those things that you're either into or not. I've tried to turn some friends of mine who are huge into anime onto KR with very limited results, and I've introduced it to people who've never watched anything that didn't originate on US Primetime Network TV who have loved it.
DrowningFishy

Post by DrowningFishy »

Spinster wrote:TARDIS: Time And Relative Dimensions In Space

In truth, I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who m'self, and I really don't see the comparisons either. I think Toku might just be one of those things that you're either into or not. I've tried to turn some friends of mine who are huge into anime onto KR with very limited results, and I've introduced it to people who've never watched anything that didn't originate on US Primetime Network TV who have loved it.
It took me YEARS to finially be cowarced into the Toku side. Years of "But you like things kicking other things asses, and voilence." She finially got me to watch the ep of Go-onger where green and black "die" still didn't get into it but she kept nagging me till I eventually watched KR. THen had to suck it up that for years she was right I was wrong. Now I watch anything and everything toku practically even some Mainland, Korean toku sucks.

Point is don't give up on those friends, they might just be being stubborn. If anything else you have to admitt it gets funny as hell sometimes... Reminds me I should go tormenting my firned with my KR finger puppets right now. Hm who to choose.

Oh what the hell "KUUGA I CHOOSE YOU!" (BEfore you kill me she's a pokemon fan and kuuga is exstra supper tiny chibi fied).
Spinster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Spinster »

Ugh, that's the sort of stuff that finally killed most Japanese animation for me. I can't stand the cutesy gonzo bananas stuff, just doesn't really fly with me anymore.

Nah, I dig Toku mostly because I watched a LOT of Kaiju films as a kid, was a fan of Ultraman when I was like, 4 or 5, and Voltron was my A-Number-One, go-to, Saturday morning super hero.
kokowaks
Salami Commander

Post by kokowaks »

early heisei series would be a good choice to introduce KR to someone... just label it a a drama with some fantasy and sci-fi mixed in it... and don't even bother connecting it with PR....
Xander Blaze
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W / Kuuga
Dreamy: Tendou Souji
Favorite Actor?: Kikkawa Koji
Favorite Band: Tetra Fang
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Ultimate

Post by Xander Blaze »

DrowningFishy wrote:::hands Xander Blaze a green slipper:: Now it is okay to smack them on their heads.
Why thank you, got the slipper with "It's kamen, not masked!!!" on it?
天の道を往き、総てを司る!
Ten no michi o Iki, Subete o Tsukasadoru otoko!
Walking the path of heaven, the man who will rule over everything!

Yes, I'm back
Truthfully.
Disappeared since the end of Kamen Rider OOO

Return to “Kamen Rider”