Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Definition of a "6th Ranger"

Post by Lunchboxx »

Maybe it's just me, but why do people always refer a new ranger to a show the "6th" if he/she is really just the 4th or 5th? Abaranger, Gekiranger and Go-Busters is a prime example.

I've heard from people (Not exactly here on the forums) that Jin is a 6th ranger of the show. I don't get the reason WHY he's called the 6th, when he's really the 4th. 5th if you count J, but you see my point.

I dunno, maybe it's just a nickname (a stupid one at that) that fans coined for the series, but it just kinda peeves me whenever Somebody mentions a new "6th" raner when really, they are just the 4th or 5th.

Random rant over, your thoughts?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Definition of a "6th Ranger"

Post by takenoko »

Probably can blame this one on Power Rangers.

In Japan, they have a term for it which came up in Gokaiger. I think the term meant "additional warrior", which makes sense since not all of the guy's on Gai's chestplate were sixth rangers.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Partially PR but also the first series to introduce extra rangers after the fact were Zyu, Dai, Kaku and up until Hurri, they were all 5 person cells with one extra later. Pretty much all of the sentai start with 5 people and then add more, with the exception of Sun Vulcan, Geki, (technically Go-On) and Go-Busters. For the most part, they are 6th rangers, so even if it's only the 4th or 5th ranger, the moniker sticks.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Sentai is usually a 5 men team.The first official additional extra ranger, the sixth ranger, is Dragon Ranger from Zyuranger. When it carried over to Power Rangers he was refer to as the sixth ranger.

And then it just become a tv tropes that sixth ranger = extra ranger
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SixthRanger
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Well that trope makes no damn sense.

I grew up watching Power Rangers, and I still do. I never thought that RJ and Domminick(U.S. versions of Geki Violet and Chopper) were "6th" rangers, I always considered them to be 4th and 5th. 6th just makes somebody sound stupid. Same goes for Tommy and Trent (U.S. versions of Abareblack and Abarekiller)

I dunno, I guess I'm just one of the few people who considered that to be nonsense, and calls 4th and 5th rangers what they are. Or as Takenoko has said, "Additional warriors".
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

Essentially, a sixth ranger is someone who changes the status quo.
For example, when Genta joined the shinkengers, there was a change. They started to create their own tools instead of just relying on using the ones from previous generations.
When Gai joined the gokaigers(gary stu or not aside), the gokaigers started to use and understand their powers better.
A different exaple.
Tommy did this as well, altough it was more on the quality of the show than just the status quo(there was a change, but hey, this was a series of the nineties), the characters started to develop and there were some subplots instead of just monsters of the week.
In gaogaigar(i will try to avoid spoilers) when the sixth ranger appeared, the REAL plot appeared as well, and it started to be more dark in tone.
To be a sixth ranger would be someone who doesn't just join the team, but that joining the team changes something completely.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

TV Tropes is entirely to blame for this one, and it makes sense in the context of TV Tropes, in as much as they name writing conventions after the most significant example they can come up with. Jin and J, Gou and Ken, Hiroto and Miu, they're Sixth Rangers, even though they're not sixth rangers.

For the same reason, a joke that has it's punchline delivered long after it's set up is a Brick Joke, even if it doesn't involve an actual brick.

It works for the site, though I'll agree it probably shouldn't be used outside the site.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I'm pretty sure people used the term 6th ranger before TV Tropes was around. I think you're attributing too much credit/blame to them since it's a phenomenon not limited to their site.

I haven't really seen anyone refer to Jin as the 6th ranger. I think it'd be extremely silly if anyone did so and meant it. People are probably just using the term jokingly or because like others have said, it's a convenient term even if it doesn't exactly fit. It's like how people use the term Yu-Gi-Oh season zero. It's a poor description of the series, but people know what it means.

I mean, if it's a term that bothers you, be the change that you want to see in the world and don't use it.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander

Post by Lunchboxx »

It does not bother me that much, I'm just wondering why the hell people call them 6th rangers in the first place.

Ah well, I geuss I have my answer though.
lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by lostinbrave »

I don't normaly put that qualifier on. I normaly don't number them either. I just call them by their names, easier that way.
ImageImage

Return to “Sentai”